U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2010, 12:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,058 times

Advertisements

“I love how generalized people from the U.S. are! Man, they are so stupid for not traveling!” That way of thinking is incredibly ignorant. The United States of America is a massive country so I can understand the want to discover the incredible diversity that the U.S. has to offer. Sure, the U.S. has a common language but if you were to visit Maine, then New Mexico, then Kansas, then Arkansas, then Oregon, then Michigan you would say to yourself “Am I still in the same country?”

If people don’t want to travel abroad then who cares, it is none of my business how one wants to spend his or her life. It isn’t my job to say to people, “traveling abroad was a great experience for me so YOU should do the same!” Because they don’t think like me doesn’t make me better or less ignorant then they are.

A former co-worker of mine has only been to two countries outside of the U.S. – Perú and the U.K. and people gave him **** for only having two stamps in his passport. But this man completed what is known in the backpacking community (not “hostel hopping” community) the “Triple Crown” meaning he has hiked from the Mexican border into Canada twice via Continental Divide Trail, Pacific Crest Trail and the International Appalachian Trail (Georgia to Canada) taking him about four and a half months each to achieve. I guarantee that he has more travel experience then a European “hostel hopper” with a 95L backpack buried in a Lonely Planet guide book. I love those people that claim, for example, that they’ve been to 33 countries but when you ask them how much time they’ve spent in each country it is often only a few days to a few weeks in “backpacker” hostels. Sure, he or she has the stamps but only skimmed through the countries in order to say, “Look at me! Look which countries I’ve visited!”.

I used to have that state of mind while hitchhiking at the age of 19 from La Guajira, Colombia to Buenos Aires, Argentina (it took me 13 months to complete). I used to believe that those whom didn’t travel abroad were more ignorant than I was. But with time I had realized that I was ignorant for generalizing entire peoples and thinking that my lifestyle was for everyone.

Best of luck on all of your travels. Remember, the more stamps one has in his passport doesn’t necessarily signify more impressive experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 06:42 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,947,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Post View Post
I guarantee that he has more travel experience then a European “hostel hopper” with a 95L backpack buried in a Lonely Planet guide book. I love those people that claim, for example, that they’ve been to 33 countries but when you ask them how much time they’ve spent in each country it is often only a few days to a few weeks in “backpacker” hostels. Sure, he or she has the stamps but only skimmed through the countries in order to say, “Look at me! Look which countries I’ve visited!”.

I used to have that state of mind while hitchhiking at the age of 19 from La Guajira, Colombia to Buenos Aires, Argentina (it took me 13 months to complete). I used to believe that those whom didn’t travel abroad were more ignorant than I was. But with time I had realized that I was ignorant for generalizing entire peoples and thinking that my lifestyle was for everyone.
Remember, the more stamps one has in his passport doesn’t necessarily signify more impressive experiences.
I certainly agree that it is silly (and self-deluding) to equate one's passport stamps with an impressive travel experience.
However, just as not everyone can devote 13 months to hitchhiking in South America, not every "hostel-hopping" backpacker is a shallow lager lout who squanders 3 weeks in Europe.
The 'more-authentic-traveler-than-thou' debate is as endless and convoluted as trying to define what a "travel experience" actually is: One thing for sure is that there are always going to be people who go to a place just to get the t-shirt.
And there are always going to be people who feel plenty fulfilled just staying in their own backyard, while still others will enjoy indulging their itchy feet.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:15 AM

12,351 posts, read 18,450,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I certainly agree that it is silly (and self-deluding) to equate one's passport stamps with an impressive travel experience.
Passport stamps are kind of anachronistic now anyways, isn't it? Most of the time my passport isn't stamped, and when it is it's with this faded and barely legible red or blue ink listing the airport name or vague reference to point of disembarkation, takes a careful eye to even know what country the stamp is from. I do have some impressive visa's however filling up my passport pages.

It's all computers/electronic databases now folks. If you want a passport stamp, sometimes you have to ASK them to stamp it. Expect to be underwhelmed when he does.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:08 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,432,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Post View Post
Best of luck on all of your travels. Remember, the more stamps one has in his passport doesn’t necessarily signify more impressive experiences.
I've been to 14 countries in the last 3 years. I have 2 stamps to show for it, since most of the countries did not stamp. Stamps don't mean a thing!

Old 07-27-2010, 01:10 PM

22,769 posts, read 26,252,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Why is it that so many Americans don't travel abroad while so many foreigners take holidays to the US?
i have not noticed that Europeans visit the US any more often than we visit Europe.
Do you have something to support this claim, or are you just making a poor assumption?

Old 07-27-2010, 02:15 PM

12,351 posts, read 18,450,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i have not noticed that Europeans visit the US any more often than we visit Europe.
Do you have something to support this claim, or are you just making a poor assumption?
There was already much disagreement with her premise, and she was suitably "tongue lashed" as it were, which she accepted graciously. The conversation and topic has since moved on....

Old 07-27-2010, 02:15 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,598,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron J. View Post
I have lived in California all my life. I have ZERO interest in traveling to other countries. Let me explain why. The ends do not justify the means. A 10 to 20 hour flight? Thousands of dollars spent on hotels and flight and activities? I don’t think so. Just to see different geography and culture? In my opinion, it’s just not worth the misery of sitting on a plane going crazy. The hassle of packing, spending money on hotels, over rated trendy activities that I can easily do in my hometown or within driving distance. I see culture ALL DAY LONG! Vietnamese, Chinese, Indian, Mexican, Italian, Thai, Middle Eastern, and honestly, I don’t feel comfortable with any of their cultures, it’s not me or my style! Why should I subject myself to something I don’t like or need? So why would I want to travel a million miles away from my comfort zone to be uncomfortable and spend thousands to do it? Just because I’m not comfortable with it doesn’t mean I don’t respect it. A lot of these “world travelers” who claim to have epiphanies about “perspective” need to open up their minds just a tad bit more and realize that a great perspective in life is not limited just to world travelers. As an American, I don’t criticize other cultures in the world and say “you need to travel to America more to gain perspective!” in fact I say do whatever it is you do as long as you don’t force your culture or agenda on to me. For people who seek out traveling and other cultures, by all means do it, you love it, so do it. Equally and just as valid, I tend to hate it and find it to be extremely inconvenient, exhausting and financially draining. My point is why is it so hard for world travelers with “perspective” to accept or care that Americans, not all, don’t like traveling over seas? Who gives a ****. To each their own. Individualism, everyone is different!
You make a lot of excellent points and sometimes I wonder the same with so much for me still to see in the USA despite seeing 47 out of 50 states. And sometimes I even wonder why to leave home, especially on a day like today with nice weather and I've got my grill outside and everything I need.

I've also got to the point as well, where if I am going to travel, flophouse hotels and hostels, tiny rental cars, "slimline! comfort" airline seats don't cut it anymore. I have to have some basic level of comfort most of the time, otherwise it isn't really worth it to suffer.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:00 PM

2,065 posts, read 4,185,403 times
Also, one thing I should mention, no matter where one lives, the "international culture" one is exposed to in one's own country is, very frequently, very different from the "original" culture of any given country.

I am not saying this is good or bad, it is just different: I have seen this many times, in habits, food, language, everything.

And, on a side note, honestly, stamps on a passport are the least important thing I could possibly think of when traveling... I did not even know some people gave them that much importance!
Back in the day people would go on these tours - "10 countries in 10 days" - and come home with a passport packed with stamps, but that is the farthest from a real trip I can possibly think of.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:29 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,273,842 times
I think passport stamps and visas are actually kind of cool to look at haha. I wouldn't use it to brag or anything like that, and to be honest I agree more with Kevin Post than I do a lot of the other posters on here.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:40 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,432,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
and to be honest I agree more with Kevin Post than I do a lot of the other posters on here.
My favorite part about "Kevin Post" is that instead of posting under his regular name, he created a separate CD account just to come and post on this thread. If you have something to say, use your regular name! I find it very hard to believe that this thread, out of the hundreds on CD, would cause someone to want to create an account. I'm more than willing to bet KP is a regular poster using an AE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or