U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2010, 08:44 AM

8,266 posts, read 10,707,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joany View Post
I would like to see some comments on why Americans should travel instead of listing reasons why they donít.
1. Seeing something new. Not just a little different but jarringly different that is unlike anything you've encountered before. It can be something as significant as the attic where Anne Frank lived in Amsterdam to something as simple as a family of five driving by on a single moped in Phnom Penh.

2. Meeting locals. People are people and everywhere has different types, but there is definitely something special about sharing laughs/beers/etc. with people who live thousands of miles away in a totally different culture.

3. Food. Yes! When I'm traveling the greatest feeling is when I'm hungry, cause it's time to find some food. Over a few weeks trying as much local stuff as you can until you've zeroed in on a few favorites that you keep seeking out, great times. Also happens in New Orleans for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 08:53 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,411,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
It depends what you want in a beach. There are areas of central California that have beach characteristics you'll not find in Thailand, and vice versa, I don't think either is necessarily better or worse as an absolute. Hawaii and Florida also both have beautiful beaches with their own unique characteristics.
At this point, I want a beach with turquoise water that I can swim in without getting hypothermia!

Old 07-28-2010, 09:00 AM

15,106 posts, read 13,790,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Dude, what the hell happened to you as a child that created such a pompous blowhard?
I was wondering the same. I would hate to feel so bitter and hateful all the time.

Quote:
Lack of world travel certainly doesn't equate to ignorance, nor does your self-describes "quality of curiosity" make you any less ignorant. I could just as easily take the position that anyone who would be so naive as to lump an extremely large, diverse, populous nation under any personality trait demonstrates great ignorance.

To each his/her own I say. Some people enjoy travel and can't understand how others cannot, and some people can't understand why the time and effort when so much to enjoy at home. I'm sure not to judge as there is no right and wrong.
Amen. Live and let live.

There's so much I have yet to see here in the United States, so I plan on seeing more places here before I travel abroad. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy traveling once or twice a year, but I'm happy to say that I live a satisfying, fulfilling life right here in my own backyard.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:48 PM

17,391 posts, read 21,228,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post

Our strategy had been that while we were young and healthy we would travel *outside* the US as much as possible, then spend more time "at home" as we got older.
Great strategy! That's exactly what I've done!

People who haven't done a great deal of foreign travel don't realize how much work it can be. Do the most physically taxing trips first, as when you get to your retirement years, you may not be able to climb around those Greek ruins,
climb the Great Wall of China, walk the steep hills of some foreign cities, or survive 12-16 hours of flying.

I'm 60 now, climbed the Great Wall of China at 40, and, today, there's no way I could do it today or survive 21 hours of flying to Nepal.

The time has now arrived, to explore more of my own country.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:01 PM

17,391 posts, read 21,228,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post

There's so much I have yet to see here in the United States, so I plan on seeing more places here before I travel abroad.
I've heard this line so many times, but those that say it will never, ever, ever reveal the real, true reasons why they don't travel abroad, first.

I invited my sister and brother-in-law to come along on all 12 trips I took to Central and South America, and they pulled that line on me each and every time.

Occasionally, there'd be some slips of the tongue, revealing their real reasons for not going:

Fears of being kidnapped or mugged, getting sick eating the food, not having a comfortable hotel with her own bathroom , not being able to speak their language (I speak enough Spanish), no good health care if needed, riding the buses with dirty, smelly people, and on and on and on!

What's so ironic, given their great store of financial assets, and their both being over 60 and retired, they still have only seen a portion of this country.
One more reason: tight as hell with money!

Last edited by tijlover; 07-28-2010 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-28-2010, 07:17 PM

15,106 posts, read 13,790,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I've heard this line so many times, but those that say it will never, ever, ever reveal the real, true reasons why they don't travel abroad, first.

I invited my sister and brother-in-law to come along on all 12 trips I took to Central and South America, and they pulled that line on me each and every time.

Occasionally, there'd be some slips of the tongue, revealing their real reasons for not going:

Fears of being kidnapped or mugged, getting sick eating the food, not having a comfortable hotel with her own bathroom , not being able to speak their language (I speak enough Spanish), no good health care if needed, riding the buses with dirty, smelly people, and on and on and on!

What's so ironic, given their great store of financial assets, and their both being over 60 and retired, they still have only seen a portion of this country.
One more reason: tight as hell with money!
Well I figure those are fair concerns (concerning the language barrier and safety), although you could get sick anywhere. I had food poisoning in Myrtle Beach two years ago! I've only been in the east coast states from Maine to Florida (excluding Rhode Island and including Pennsylvania) and I've been to Colorado. So there are a lot more places I would like to see in the U.S. (west coast of U.S. and Canada, Alaska, Hawaii, etc.)

I personally would like to visit historical WWII sites in Europe, visit the Nordic countries...and perhaps take a tour vacation somewhere in Asia. I'll try to sprinkle them in at some point in my life.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:06 AM

2,065 posts, read 4,178,494 times
To my knowledge, most tourists who get mugged are the ones that clearly look like tourists, being the countries visited "rich" or "poor".

I have had food poisoning, and almost got mugged in plain daylight - about 7 or 8 am - in developed countries. And I certainly have been in a bus with people - in developed countries - that could seriously use a shower.

Not having a comfortable room (with its own bathroom)... or healthcare... check the internet, read reviews, make arrangements, buy insurance, book the hotel in advance!

Not being able to speak their language, buy a simple "language guide" and be considerate enough to show the locals you are trying to speak their language, even if it is just a couple of words. They will appreciate it a lot! Part of the fun on a trip is trying to enjoy activities like the locals do, as opposed to being "the tourist".

Old 07-29-2010, 08:20 AM

8,266 posts, read 10,707,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
And I certainly have been in a bus with people -[/b] use a shower.
And that right there is your biggest danger with third world travel. It's kinda funny with so many people having concerns about getting robbed/beaten/harassed/kidnapped/etc. overseas but from what I've read the overwhelming reason for death and injury when traveling in third world countries is traffic accidents.

To me it's the quintessential experience there because of it's sameness no matter what third world country you are in. Hot and sticky, lots of people, often a movie or radio you can't understand blaring too loudly from up front, stopping for anyone anywhere who waves their hand from the side of the road, non-stop honking and being honked at, etc. and often that gnawing anxiety over whether this is in fact the correct bus you should be on and how you'll know for sure when to get off.

Great, great times!

Old 10-10-2010, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 901 times
I am going to be traveling to PVR, Mexico in Feb. and I have been there many times, but for some reason I just can't get the conversion of peso and dollar correct. I have coins for 1 peso, 2 peso, 5 peso and 10 peso can someone make it simple for me to understand?

Old 10-10-2010, 03:54 PM

73 posts, read 259,639 times
We live in the best country in the world, some of us aren't that keen to leave to go to countries where you have no rights and you can't drink the water without getting sick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or