U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2011, 11:36 AM

1,460 posts, read 1,493,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitchisback View Post
Yip...and I feel exactly the same about the different US states.
But Florida is very different from Alaska -- Hawaii is different from Colorado, and Texas is very different from New Hampshire. Not an apples to apples comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
Sounds like you've been to Nasau Bahamas and the BVI and USVI which I would sort of agree with that statement.

Jamaica is a world of it's own. Beaches, forests, mountains, waterfalls, so much variety in just in terms of the land where as other islands you got nice beaches but no forests, you got nice beaches but no mountians, etc

Jamaica in terms of music, culture, food, is also in a world of its own.

If you go to the more affluent islands everything probably is the same, same european style restaurants, same pink and yellow stuckow houses, same pristine streets ni the shopping areas, etc.
Jamaica is different -- I give you points there. I've seen many islands in the Western, Eastern and Southern Caribbean, and for the most part, there is very litte difference, and I don't really expect it to be anything else -- I still love the Caribbean. But to compare the diversity of the Caribbean to the US is really comparing apples to oranges. The US is much more culturally and geographically diverse.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Everything is what you make of it, one can end up in a prepackaged shuffling mob with a tight controlled agenda thru prepackaged goodness in Rome/London/Paris just as easily as one can do NYC or Big Easy on their own.

Places that get tourists offer prepacked, same everywhere from Bangkok to Los Angeles to San Jose.
Excellent point. If you're doing the pre-packaged tourista specials, you'll hit the tourist traps, which are pretty standard everywhere around the world. You don't get the same feeling you'd get by doing the back roads and off roads of the country. The US is beautiful, both cities and national parks.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:30 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,589,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
But Florida is very different from Alaska -- Hawaii is different from Colorado, and Texas is very different from New Hampshire. Not an apples to apples comparison.

Even within the same state, the day and night difference in lifestyle and local culture can be seen with just a few hours away. As in Manhattan and Cooperstown. Seattle and Winthrop. Los Angeles and Cayucos. San Francisco and Mendocino. Philadelphia and Milford. Honolulu and Paia. Phoenix and Bisbee, etc.

TheWitchIsBack, by his/her admission, has been to only "several" states, and based on that, s/he concluded that "the bulk of America" is nothing but "slick, bland, vapid, packaged, and fluff."

S/he is only one person among many who think they can hand out verdict on a country that is 2.5 times larger than the entire continent of Europe after seeing only what tour books tell them to see. These self-proclaimed critics remind me of a group of blind men who were asked to describe an elephant after being allowed to touch only one part of the animal. The one who touched the elephant's leg said the elephant was like a pillar; the one who touched the tusk said the elephant was like a curved pipe; the one who touched the tail said the elephant was like a rope; the one who touched the trunk said the elephant was like a tree branch, etc. Each blind man clung to his view and proclaimed that what he knew was the whole truth and the only truth. Sad, but not unusual.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:18 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,094,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
Jamaica is different -- I give you points there. I've seen many islands in the Western, Eastern and Southern Caribbean, and for the most part, there is very litte difference, and I don't really expect it to be anything else -- I still love the Caribbean. But to compare the diversity of the Caribbean to the US is really comparing apples to oranges. The US is much more culturally and geographically diverse.
Your right about that, I agree us is much more diverse in terms of people, landscape, etc.

I wish there was more variety to the caribbean, I love the ocean, love the area, love the weather. Been to Jamaica the last five years. Woud like to find another place in the caribbean to try buy everything is much more expensive and from what I have heard not nearly as interesting as Jamaica.

Punta Cana is still cheap but I hear that's a total manmade destinatino very touristy, bland, etc.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:06 PM

350 posts, read 588,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles in PGI View Post
Even within the same state, the day and night difference in lifestyle and local culture can be seen with just a few hours away. As in Manhattan and Cooperstown. Seattle and Winthrop. Los Angeles and Cayucos. San Francisco and Mendocino. Philadelphia and Milford. Honolulu and Paia. Phoenix and Bisbee, etc.

TheWitchIsBack, by his/her admission, has been to only "several" states, and based on that, s/he concluded that "the bulk of America" is nothing but "slick, bland, vapid, packaged, and fluff."

S/he is only one person among many who think they can hand out verdict on a country that is 2.5 times larger than the entire continent of Europe after seeing only what tour books tell them to see. These self-proclaimed critics remind me of a group of blind men who were asked to describe an elephant after being allowed to touch only one part of the animal. The one who touched the elephant's leg said the elephant was like a pillar; the one who touched the tusk said the elephant was like a curved pipe; the one who touched the tail said the elephant was like a rope; the one who touched the trunk said the elephant was like a tree branch, etc. Each blind man clung to his view and proclaimed that what he knew was the whole truth and the only truth. Sad, but not unusual.
I "ve been to Florida, Georgia, Ohio(actually just Columbus), Illinois, New York, California,New Mexico, Nevada(just Vegas), New Jersey, Michigan, Washington DC, Colorado. To me that's a whole lot when you consider I have no ties to the country.

I don't understand why people are so offended about my feelings on the country....there's a thread about the Caribbean being crap in another sub forum on here and I'm not gonna rush in defending it. People are welcome to their opinions. And that's my opinion about the US. I actually did not even realize the US/Canada was so lacking and was perfectly happy vacationing there for years until I was presented with what the rest of the world can offer.
I do plan to take my future children (until they are in teens) to the US/Canada exclusively for vacations as I think it is unparalleled in offerings for that age group.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:17 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,589,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitchisback View Post
I "ve been to Florida, Georgia, Ohio(actually just Columbus), Illinois, New York, California,New Mexico, Nevada(just Vegas), New Jersey, Michigan, Washington DC, Colorado. To me that's a whole lot when you consider I have no ties to the country.
Yes, you have been to quite a few states, but do you know that there are hundreds of cities in each of those states, and not all cities are the same? The state of New York alone consists of almost 1,000 towns, and I bet you a dinner that a few hundreds of them have cultures so different from one another that you wouldn't know they are in the same country, let alone the same state! What I've been trying to say is most tourists to the US do not know this country the way they think they do.

The tourist cities of the states you have seen -- Orlando, Miami, Atlanta, Columbus, Chicago, Manhattan, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Albuquerque, Las Vegas, Atlantic City, Detroit, D.C., and Denver -- only represent a very small sliver of America. When you go where millions of tourists go, you get what millions of tourists get: mass-produced attractions. If you want to see real beauty and real culture, ignore tourist traps and step away from neon lights.

Read the replies in this thread and you will see what the uniform message is: do not insult a country until you *truly* see it up close and personal. And I do not think spending time in Times Square, the Strip, and Disney World can be considered up close and personal experience.

Quote:
I don't understand why people are so offended about my feelings on the country....there's a thread about the Caribbean being crap in another sub forum on here and I'm not gonna rush in defending it. People are welcome to their opinions. And that's my opinion about the US.
I lived in Italy for 7 years and loved it deeply. It's a country of high culture and long history, but after seeing hundreds of hill towns and medieval fortresses (my 12th century house was behind a 5th century city wall), I can tell you they are all more or less the same, and Italy has just as many shallow aspects as brilliant ones.

My experience with Italy is a thousand times deeper than your experience with the US, and what I garnered from my life there was a completely picture, not one-sided as yours is. Nevertheless, I would never post an insult masked as opinion on a public forum about Italy. It does not matter how I feel, I respect other people's homes during and after my visit, I do not put it down as some insignificant trifles.

An opinion when expressed without tact is called rudeness and an opinion without strong foundation is called ignorance.

Quote:
I actually did not even realize the US/Canada was so lacking and was perfectly happy vacationing there for years until I was presented with what the rest of the world can offer.
I cannot speak for Canada even though I was born in Manitoba (did not spend a lot of time there) and still hold Canadian citizenship, but the "lacking" in the US exists only in the mind of limited observers. Think of the blind men and the elephant story before you criticize a place where your inadequate exposure only allowed you to touch one part of a whole.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 07-27-2011 at 05:42 PM..

Old 07-27-2011, 07:37 PM

38,887 posts, read 20,174,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I view natural disasters as terrorist attacks as well. Never know when you're going to be in one. You could be on a ride in Disneyland, and there you are in an earthquake! You could be up in Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, walking along the beach, and, without warning, there comes the tsunami!

You could have been in Joplin MO this year, walking back to your hotel, and you never made it back alive! Blown away with the wind!

You could have been in Tokyo this year. Having visited all the tourist sites there, you were itching for something more rural. There you go 100 miles north, and Kaboom! And you faithfully read the U.S. Consular's reports, stating how extremely safe it is over there, not a safer place to be in the world!

Accidents/Terrorist Attacks do happen, any place, any time!
Uh ... I was just explaining why many Americans are reluctant to travel. Yes, accidents and disasters can happen anywhere but when they do, would you rather be in your own country or be stuck in a foreign land trying to get home?

Old 07-28-2011, 08:31 AM

2,702 posts, read 4,673,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Everything is what you make of it, one can end up in a prepackaged shuffling mob with a tight controlled agenda thru prepackaged goodness in Rome/London/Paris just as easily as one can do NYC or Big Easy on their own.

Places that get tourists offer prepacked, same everywhere from Bangkok to Los Angeles to San Jose.
Very true! And to the person who commented about the packaged slickness, I am a bit puzzled. Sure you get that feeling if you go to Disneyworld, but how do you possibly get that at places like Yosemite National Park, Yellowstone National Park, etc? That is pure natural wonder with nothing man made besides roads and walking paths through them. How is that packed slickness? I just don't get it- should there not even be roads in these places?

Old 07-28-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Very true! And to the person who commented about the packaged slickness, I am a bit puzzled. Sure you get that feeling if you go to Disneyworld, but how do you possibly get that at places like Yosemite National Park, Yellowstone National Park, etc? That is pure natural wonder with nothing man made besides roads and walking paths through them. How is that packed slickness? I just don't get it- should there not even be roads in these places?

I'm sure that poster has probably only been to places that have amenities that appeal to his/her own children -- which is what you do when you vacation with kids. We may not have as long of a history as Europe (hey, we're a baby in historical terms!) but culturally, we're not a McDonald's drive in, either. If I had a suggestion for the Witch, I'd say Savannah -- love that city!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or