U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2011, 11:24 AM

1,248 posts, read 2,991,204 times

Advertisements

Anyone who says they have been to New York State and has only visited New York City, has NOT been to New York State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 10:05 PM

38,894 posts, read 20,185,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
Anyone who says they have been to New York State and has only visited New York City, has NOT been to New York State.
I totally agree ... I just recently came back from my first East Coast trip where I spent only three days of sight seeing around Manhattan. I KNOW that there is much more to NY state than just the hustle and bustle of Midtown Manhattan.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:52 AM

591 posts, read 747,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Why is it that so many Americans don't travel abroad while so many foreigners take holidays to the US? I've longed to travel for years but I'm single and the prospect of going alone is scary, especially since I'm limited in foreign languages (I read, write and speak some Spanish). However I am making plans to study abroad later this year if all goes well.

There's something very insular about Americans that I can't quite pinpoint. It's woven into the design of our suburban communities, where every town has strip malls with the same stores, we aspire to wear the same clothing, drive similar cars and live in subdivisions with four styles of houses. This sameness is also creeping into major cities once known for their uniqueness.

It's like wherever we go, we have to see the things we have back home. It feels like the 1950s all over again (from what I've read, anyway -- I was not born yet). It's like an artificial existence of sorts.

We stay in our backyards and grill food, go on cruises (semi-foreign travel) or we travel to Vegas and Disney World, but we won't visit the real world.

What gives?
Stop being judgmental. PROVE that Americans don't travel abroad. I for one have 5 times. I don't WANT to see in Europe what I can see here.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:50 AM

2,065 posts, read 4,183,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Blues View Post
Stop being judgmental. PROVE that Americans don't travel abroad. I for one have 5 times. I don't WANT to see in Europe what I can see here.
Dr Blues, what exactly can you see in Europe that you can also see here?

Also, where have you been to on your international trips?
What did you think of each of the places you visited?

I am just curious to hear your comments.

Last edited by Miaiam; 08-04-2011 at 09:08 AM..

Old 08-04-2011, 03:17 PM

3,764 posts, read 3,809,905 times
I haven't read much of the thread, but it IS in large part due to lack of time off. Most people only have about 2 weeks of vacation, which after factoring in travel time, is almost nothing. The other reason Americans don't travel is because of apathy. The vast majority are simply too lazy or stubborn to try anything other than Italy, France, Spain, UK, resort or cruise package. It's really ashame. Americans don't realize how vastly privileged we are to be able to hold an American passport. We can go in and out of many places many other people in the world can't go without lots of trouble. Every American should use their passports as much as they can. America is a big country with amazing sites to see (and lots of them), but you simply don't get the culture shock that you do when traveling to a non-North American or non-Western European country.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:13 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,245,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
Thank you.
And for goodness' sake, if you're only going to visit New York City, there's more to it than Manhattan. And if you're only going to visit Manhattan, there's more to it than Times freakin' Square.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:52 AM

24,864 posts, read 6,189,912 times
I think, possibly many American's don't travel abroad because you live in such a vast
county there is plenty to see inside your own borders. Us English, live in a small country
with unpredictable weather, so we travel abroad for some sun!! I visit Las Vegas twice a
year, it's a great place to meet and talk to people from all over America. My wife and I last
year visited Portugal, Spain, Tunisia, Cyprus, and of course the USA. We used to go to a
small village on Rhodes in Greece. We went so many times, we ended up going to weddings,
and sadly a few funerals. We stopped going when we realised we were only visiting for all
the local gossip since our last visit!! Travel really does broaden the mind.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:04 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,447,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
Personally, I will never understand all the people who claim they have no desire to see other countries and cultures. No curiousity about this huge world outside your own borders with so many different kinds of people and cultures and landscapes and foods? This has nothing to do with having the money to do it, but having no desire to do it.

I don't unlimited funds to visit every country I want to see, but have done extensive travelling. Certainly opens your eyes.
Although part of me is kind of thankful for people like that . I mean France is already crowded enough as it is!

In Australia travel overseas is something the masses do and indeed especially in Perth it's often more common for people to travel overseas to Asia etc because it's close and cheap. Travel to Europe, North America is more of a big adventure though because of the distance.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:55 AM

10,234 posts, read 13,998,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Why is it that so many Americans don't travel abroad while so many foreigners take holidays to the US? I've longed to travel for years but I'm single and the prospect of going alone is scary, especially since I'm limited in foreign languages (I read, write and speak some Spanish). However I am making plans to study abroad later this year if all goes well.

There's something very insular about Americans that I can't quite pinpoint. It's woven into the design of our suburban communities, where every town has strip malls with the same stores, we aspire to wear the same clothing, drive similar cars and live in subdivisions with four styles of houses. This sameness is also creeping into major cities once known for their uniqueness.

It's like wherever we go, we have to see the things we have back home. It feels like the 1950s all over again (from what I've read, anyway -- I was not born yet). It's like an artificial existence of sorts.

We stay in our backyards and grill food, go on cruises (semi-foreign travel) or we travel to Vegas and Disney World, but we won't visit the real world.

What gives?

Okay. Not what is "real world" supposed to mean???? Of this whole post, this is what fascinates me the most. Please clarify.

I do think you're over-assuming the amount of foreigners that travel the US, I really do. The number per capita that travel the states is probably about the same as ours, if not less. I have relatives in Europe and, with the exception of one individual that I can think of, none have traveled to America. (And, no, I've not gone to visit them ~ don't give a rip about any of them. . . but that's another story.)

International traveling is a luxury, and not everyone has the time and money to really do it well. Cruises are a popular American alternative and I don't see anything wrong with that (though I have no desire for it). There are still places within the US that I still want to see, as well as places that I like to revisit.

I'll spend another 2 weeks in New Orleans over any foreign place anytime.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:52 PM

17,435 posts, read 21,278,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post

International traveling is a luxury, and not everyone has the time and money to really do it well. Cruises are a popular American alternative and I don't see anything wrong with that (though I have no desire for it). There are still places within the US that I still want to see, as well as places that I like to revisit.

I'll spend another 2 weeks in New Orleans over any foreign place anytime.
Int'l travel a luxury? Dead wrong! To do it really well? It's hardly necessary to stay in 4-5 star hotels in foreign countries. I never paid more than $25 for a 2-3 star hotel in South America, (oftentimes with a rooftop deck which you won't find in this country) and for that price, it's far more comfortable/enjoyable/cheaper than a poorly-built Motel 6 or Super 8 here in this country.

Excuses! Excuses! Which I see right thru like a pane of glass!

Americans averse to crossing the Atlantic or Pacific or Caribbean reminds me of someone who has always owned/driven a Honda Civic. Never been behind the wheel of a Ford, Toyota, Chevy, Hyundai or Mazda, but they go on proclaiming the Honda Civic is the best car in the world!

Laziness, fears, now we're getting some place!

Americans don't get enough vacation time? Please! Just one more flimsy excuse! What's wrong with flying to Mexico City or Bogota for a long weekend? Ain't even going to cut into your precious 2 week vacation time tooling around same-ol'-same-ol' in your Honda Civic!

Last edited by tijlover; 08-09-2011 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: add words
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or