U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2011, 09:20 PM

8,266 posts, read 10,726,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Int'l travel a luxury? Dead wrong!
Quote:
Americans don't get enough vacation time? Please! Just one more flimsy excuse! What's wrong with flying to Mexico City or Bogota for a long weekend?
You say it isn't a luxury then use flying to Bogota for a weekend as an example? How much are flights to Bogota? Two people is probably at least $1200 for the flight alone.

For a long weekend, that is indeed a luxury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunJoaquin View Post
Damn! This thread fascinates me with its cockiness. So what if some of you have a passion in globe trotting? Why do you imply that others need to be like you?
To me it seems like he is enamored with himself that he's traveled around, and he can build it up even more with disdain for others who aren't as cool.

Calling others lazy or fearful and "defensive excuses" because they have different preferences for holiday? Pathetic.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Travelling is like cooking. I may have stumbled across the most delicious recipes, made the most yum-delicious meals, and yet, will I ever make it again? I have said: I must make this again! And again! But I don't!

Why? Because there's a thousand recipes I haven't tried yet!

And yes, many times it's happened, I was lured by the recipe, tried it, and was disappointed. But all it takes is stumbling across the next recipe that leaves you dumbstruck, and all the less tasty dishes are quickly forgotten!

Onward, onward I go into the unknown frontier!
This post is so cheesey and cliche I feel ill after reading it. Onward, onward I go to the unknown frontier? Really? Hah!

Old 08-10-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
I have an accounting background, and whenever I've planned a trip I get out my calculator: a trip in the U.S. vs. a foreign trip.
Again you seem way overly impressed by yourself. It doesn't take an accounting background to compare total costs of two trips, it takes basic arithmetic.

Quote:
My 16 day trip to Ecuador. Yes, the airfare is going to be higher. Offset by 16 days of hotel rooms (comfortable rooms to boot) where I never paid more than $15. I didn't need a rental car, as the bus/mass transit system was super cheap. Food prices were about the same, just a tad cheaper.
Apples and oranges. People in rental cars have way more freedom in what they can do and how comfortably they do it, you can't just write off waiting at bus depots in 3rd world countries to take buses that can take much longer and be far less convenient between cities and say hah I did it cheaper. It is two completely different things.

Furthermore air fare isn't just going to be higher, it might not exist at all for people traveling domestically. Not every trip requires an airplane.

Do you have some examples of the $10 rooms you stayed in? Like internet links to whatever hotel it was? I'd be curious if we're doing apples to apples there as well.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:23 PM

38,900 posts, read 20,200,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
You say it isn't a luxury then use flying to Bogota for a weekend as an example? How much are flights to Bogota? Two people is probably at least $1200 for the flight alone.

For a long weekend, that is indeed a luxury.

Quote:
To me it seems like he is enamored with himself that he's traveled around, and he can build it up even more with disdain for others who aren't as cool.

Calling others lazy or fearful and "defensive excuses" because they have different preferences for holiday? Pathetic.

Quote:
Again you seem way overly impressed by yourself. It doesn't take an accounting background to compare total costs of two trips, it takes basic arithmetic.

Apples and oranges. People in rental cars have way more freedom in what they can do and how comfortably they do it, you can't just write off waiting at bus depots in 3rd world countries to take buses that can take much longer and be far less convenient between cities and say hah I did it cheaper. It is two completely different things.

Furthermore air fare isn't just going to be higher, it might not exist at all for people traveling domestically. Not every trip requires an airplane.

Do you have some examples of the $10 rooms you stayed in? Like internet links to whatever hotel it was? I'd be curious if we're doing apples to apples there as well.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:16 AM

17,462 posts, read 21,304,257 times
Quote:

If they had the transportation system in this country, like they have in Central America, I wouldn't need a rental car. And what's the hurry, as I want to slowly absorb the landscape as I ride in the bus and perhaps the next vendor that hops on the bus will be selling some hot chicken, DVD's or candy bars. Too much to see, too much to miss. I've never had to wait long for a bus or a pick-up (you ride in the back) down there. You go to the bus station and, being those chicken buses are privately owned and competitive, you have any # of baggage handlers eager to take your bags and put you on this or that bus, all going in the same direction. It's a far, far cry from Greyhound, where there may be only one or two departures to a destination that day, if at all.

The rooms? Am I asking too much for you to use your imagination?

Sleeping on a cold, tiled floor, no windows, cracks in the ceiling to allow rain to come in, an open pit outside to relieve yourself, no tub, no shower, not even a sink to wash your hands!

Old 08-11-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
If they had the transportation system in this country, like they have in Central America, I wouldn't need a rental car.
That isn't true. There is long distance bus service in the United States from city to city just like there is in Central America. There is also local public transportation that is usually better in larger cities and lacking in smaller ones, just like in Central America.

Quote:
And what's the hurry, as I want to slowly absorb the landscape as I ride in the bus and perhaps the next vendor that hops on the bus will be selling some hot chicken, DVD's or candy bars. Too much to see, too much to miss.
Again you are projecting your personal preference onto others and framing it as an advantage for 3rd world countries. Many people don't give a crap about slowly absorbing anything or these cheap DVDs you keep bringing up, just because you do does not make it a strong point for everyone else.

Quote:
I've never had to wait long for a bus or a pick-up (you ride in the back) down there. You go to the bus station and, being those chicken buses are privately owned and competitive, you have any # of baggage handlers eager to take your bags and put you on this or that bus, all going in the same direction.
I call bull****. You've traveled regularly by bus in third world countries and never had to wait long? You are either the luckiest person this planet or a shameless liar. That is the biggest problem with buses in third world countries is the inconsistency of service, partly because of road conditions and partly because they'll stop to pick up anyone on the side of the road waving their hand.

I've had several times where I've waited for hours in 3rd world countries on the side of the highway waving at buses of the correct species, since that was how you transferred directions but they were all full. I've had buses stop and wait an hour for another bus to catch up since they were both half full and wanted to combine passenger load so one guy could go home.

I've ridden in the back of pickup taxis. You want worse try taxis North Africa, it has six spots (2 in front with driver, 4 in back) and you have to wait until they are all full with people who want to go to the same place before you leave. You often have to resort to paying for other empty spots just to get going. Either way this is not the same as having a rental car so comparing it as simply price versus price and declaring your vacation is cheaper is absurd, totally different level of service. You can rent a car in Central America, and you can take long distance buses then local transportation in America, if you are comparing vacation experiences then compare the same thing.

Quote:
It's a far, far cry from Greyhound, where there may be only one or two departures to a destination that day, if at all.
Again, it is similar both U.S. and Central America will have lots of departures during the day to larger cities and fewer to smaller cities. Both have larger lines like Greyhound and smaller lines with tour buses and shuttles. If I'm in Phoenix and want to catch a bus to LA there are lots of options, but if I want to catch one to Globe AZ there are few.

Quote:
The rooms? Am I asking too much for you to use your imagination?

Sleeping on a cold, tiled floor, no windows, cracks in the ceiling to allow rain to come in, an open pit outside to relieve yourself, no tub, no shower, not even a sink to wash your hands!
You are dodging the question by attempting to imply I'm naive about hotels in third world countries, that isn't the case I have slept in rooms for under $10. In fact I've stayed in rooms with cold tiled floor (didn't sleep on it), no windows to outside, hole in a floor to relieve yourself that you go outside to get to, and no tub or shower. Haven't had cracks in the ceiling though.

I'm curious if these $10 rooms you speak of are in fact comparable to hotels people stay at when they vacation in the United States, so link please.

Last edited by slackjaw; 08-11-2011 at 07:52 AM..

Old 08-11-2011, 04:58 PM

3,813 posts, read 3,664,925 times
Why more Americans don't travel abroad - CNN.com

I think this article sums it up quite nicely...

Old 08-11-2011, 08:15 PM

17,462 posts, read 21,304,257 times
Thanks for the article Phil. It only reconfirms my ongoing suspicions.

"Even those that receive a nice vacation time don't use it all."

"Breaking outside anything in your norm is scary."

I invited my sister/brother-in-law to come along on 12 of my foreign trips. The litany of excuses grew longer with each invite. Up against brick walls.

The lamest excuse: I don't want to share a bathroom with someone. Where, or where, have I ever shared a bathroom with anyone on a foreign trip!!!

Last edited by tijlover; 08-11-2011 at 08:15 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 08-11-2011, 08:25 PM

2,065 posts, read 4,187,211 times
Quote:

I invited my sister/brother-in-law to come along on 12 of my foreign trips.
tjlover, which countries have you been to? Can you say just a word or two about each one of them?
What are your overall impressions about traveling overseas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or