Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2010, 07:27 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
I am a higher ed administrator and I get three weeks, which is why I am planning something now. But in my last job I only got two weeks and I could not take it all at once because of how it accrued - just two days each month over the course of a year. Lots of jobs accrue time off this way.

Also, since many businesses are operating "lean" these days, long vacations are discouraged. And, jobs give you time off but they won't let you "leave the job at the job." For example, my brother is an electrical engineer and he's required to login and/or monitor his blackberry all the time. So much for going to a remote destination
My brother took his first real vacation in years this week -- a trip abroad to France -- which was major for him because it is so difficult for him to take time off (see above). He saved three weeks to visit Paris and Albi. My parents learned today that he passed out in Paris and was taken by ambulance to the hospital. He's a healthy guy otherwise, so I believe that the combination of stress on the job, lack of enough time off, a LONG flight from Cali to Paris, and the heat took its toll on him.

Some Americans may get ample time off to travel but many of us store up our vacations and don't take time during the rest of the year only to be totally exhausted by the time we do take vacations, and we get sick. It happened to me in Mexico as well.

It is ironic that this happened to my brother because just yesterday I spoke with a representative at the study abroad program I was considering and due to my concerns about cramming my trip into one week and my concerns about food and water, I decided to postpone my trip until I have more time.

IMO, if Americans had the amount of time off that Europeans have, we would be happier and healthier people, overall, who would be better able to enjoy our vacations when we're able to take them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 02:16 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
When I lived in the US I was a secretary at a state university.

Sweetheart? What the hell century did that come out of?
What's with this sweetheart crap?

Let me explain it to you, honey, since you seem to be very confused.

Century? - the last one, the 20th, ended in 2000 which is when I left the US.

State University - stated funded, not private

Secretary - my job title was principal secretary, do you need further explanation of my duties.

Understand, sweetheart?

Old 07-10-2010, 04:43 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
My brother took his first real vacation in years this week -- a trip abroad to France -- which was major for him because it is so difficult for him to take time off (see above). He saved three weeks to visit Paris and Albi. My parents learned today that he passed out in Paris and was taken by ambulance to the hospital. He's a healthy guy otherwise, so I believe that the combination of stress on the job, lack of enough time off, a LONG flight from Cali to Paris, and the heat took its toll on him.

Some Americans may get ample time off to travel but many of us store up our vacations and don't take time during the rest of the year only to be totally exhausted by the time we do take vacations, and we get sick. It happened to me in Mexico as well.

It is ironic that this happened to my brother because just yesterday I spoke with a representative at the study abroad program I was considering and due to my concerns about cramming my trip into one week and my concerns about food and water, I decided to postpone my trip until I have more time.

IMO, if Americans had the amount of time off that Europeans have, we would be happier and healthier people, overall, who would be better able to enjoy our vacations when we're able to take them.
Agree with what I bolded.
I know exactly what you mean about being totally exhausted by the time you do take a vacation.
I am sure your brother was overtired--tell him don't forget to eat.
Lack of fuel in the body (esp combined with heat and stress) can make you pass out. It's 79 °F in Paris right now, not too bad, but perhaps problematic if you are in a tiny airless hotel room on the 5th floor.
I hope your poor brother has a good time on the rest of his vacation; if nothing else, going to the hospital there must have been at least somewhat interesting.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:56 PM

211 posts, read 566,437 times
Quote:
You were going to do a study abroad program for a week?

Scott
PS. I hope your brother's ok.

Last edited by houstonreadhead; 07-10-2010 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-11-2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonreadhead View Post
You were going to do a study abroad program for a week?

Scott
PS. I hope your brother's ok.
Yes, I was because it's the extent of my vacation time that I can devote to it. We get 15 days, and I took some for personal reasons, family wedding, etc., and saving some for the holidays (need to travel to family).

Anyway, NRCSA offers a one week/6 hours per day of instruction immersion program. Since I know Spanish (read, write pretty well), my reason to go was to force conversation. Again, I need this for my job.

I've decided against immersion abroad for now, and will probably have to wait until next year when my vacation time builds up again. In the meantime, I found a school in NY that offers live, online instruction that can be tailored to my specific needs. Three 45 minute sessions per week is better than nothing.

big bro is feeling better. thanks

Old 07-11-2010, 07:19 AM

211 posts, read 566,437 times
Quote:
Yes, I was because it's the extent of my vacation time that I can devote to it. We get 15 days, and I took some for personal reasons, family wedding, etc., and saving some for the holidays (need to travel to family).

Anyway, NRCSA offers a one week/6 hours per day of instruction immersion program. Since I know Spanish (read, write pretty well), my reason to go was to force conversation. Again, I need this for my job.

I've decided against immersion abroad for now, and will probably have to wait until next year when my vacation time builds up again. In the meantime, I found a school in NY that offers live, online instruction that can be tailored to my specific needs. Three 45 minute sessions per week is better than nothing.

Where are you thinking of going? For years, I've been interested in spending a summer in Uruguay to study Spanish. However, I've been living in China for four years and have been too lazy to learn Chinese. I figure, if I'm going to spend the time, money, and energy to learn any language, it ought to be the one that's spoken in the country that I've chosen to live in. I'm starting a new job in a new city in China at the end of this month. Maybe I'll find the encouragement I've been lacking.

Good luck with your Spanish.

Scott

Old 07-11-2010, 08:58 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:

How hard can it be to immerse yourself in spanish in NY?

Old 07-11-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
How hard can it be to immerse yourself in spanish in NY?
I've tried and it's not easy given the combination of Spanglish, a ton of dialects from the Caribbean and South/Central America, and people who speak a sort of "pidgin Spanish." I don't understand them at all!

I need to learn to speak in a business setting, so proper grammar, vocabulary and syntax is critical. Although speaking in the street is somewhat helpful (and I do) it's not what I really need.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:19 PM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,925 times
Quote:
I've tried and it's not easy given the combination of Spanglish, a ton of dialects from the Caribbean and South/Central America, and people who speak a sort of "pidgin Spanish." I don't understand them at all!

I need to learn to speak in a business setting, so proper grammar, vocabulary and syntax is critical. Although speaking in the street is somewhat helpful (and I do) it's not what I really need.
Also which Spanish? Latin American, Spain, etc. I believe the differences between what you would hear in Mexico vs Spain is pronounciation only. ?

Old 07-11-2010, 04:12 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
Also which Spanish? Latin American, Spain, etc. I believe the differences between what you would hear in Mexico vs Spain is pronounciation only. ?

Grammar and words are different too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel