Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2010, 07:51 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times

Advertisements

But Americans will fly 1000 miles to see a ball game or concert, then back the next day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 10:06 AM

758 posts, read 1,640,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
But Americans will fly 1000 miles to see a ball game or concert, then back the next day.

Really? Who? I'm sure that they do exist, but they have to be in a relatively small minority, and most likely have lots of money and/or free time on their hands....the two things that seem to be "stopping Americans from foreign travel."

Old 10-11-2010, 11:33 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post
Really? Who? I'm sure that they do exist, but they have to be in a relatively small minority, and most likely have lots of money and/or free time on their hands....the two things that seem to be "stopping Americans from foreign travel."
I didn't mean they are a majority, but I know several who have, and have never been outside the U.S. So time and money limitations may not be the true reason.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:17 PM

758 posts, read 1,640,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I didn't mean they are a majority, but I know several who have, and have never been outside the U.S. So time and money limitations may not be the true reason.
Fair enough.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:53 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
I've never bought into this excuse: no time and money for foreign travel.

You can go to a foreign city, and just spend three days there, and it's amazing the territory you can cover in even one day.

Just like traveling to any city in this country. Fly in, rent a car, and you'll be astounded at all you can see/experience in just two days!

Ain't buying it, now or ever, particularly no time for foreign travel. There's other hidden reasons most people refuse to discuss.

Fess up!

Old 10-25-2010, 09:26 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
Most people who have enough money to go to distant places are vacationers, not travelers. This applies almost equally to both Americans and Europeans, and probably those of other nationalities as well. Their trips needn't be "educational" - in fact, this is a bad thing to many of them. Nor do they learn the local language beforehand - for the places they are going, they don't need to. All they want is a sunny beach, a comfortable hotel, strong drinks, and perhaps good food. Let's think about some of the most popular destinations:

* Brits: Corfu, Benidorm. Do more go there to "experience" Greek or Spanish culture, or to soak up the sun by day and drink by night (err...and day)?

* Americans: Cancun, Jamaica, Dominican Republic. Do more go there to "experience" Mexican / Jamaican / Dominican culture, or to enjoy a drink on a sunny beach?

* Germans: Balaeric Islands. Do more go to "experience" Spanish culture, or to get away from it all?

...and so on. When you speak with a "real" sample of people (not just the well-educated upper-middle class who tend to be the ones frequenting this forum) - of any nationality I bargain - you will hear discussion about what beaches are best, where's the best place to party, what all-inclusive resorts are nicest, etc. What you won't hear much about is the local culture or even sites of historical and cultural interest, because the normal "vacationer" is not interested in these things (except if they are particularly outstanding, e.g. the Coliseum, the Mayan pyramids, etc.). In fact, many vacationers are fine with not leaving the resort compound, if it is nice enough. Experiencing the unfamiliar culture on the outside can be stressful to many people, and the vacationer's objective is to have a relaxing, stress-free holiday. They already experience enough stress in life. These are the people - the silent majority - to whom places like "Señor Frog's" and "Carlos n' Charlies" appeal to, to whom it is natural to order the same lobster tail or 16-oz porterhouse steak they can have at home in a distant locale.

Last edited by tvdxer; 10-25-2010 at 09:44 AM..

Old 10-25-2010, 09:39 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,332,782 times
Quote:
* Germans: Balaeric Islands. Do more go to "experience" Spanish culture, or to get away from it all?
Yes, that unfortunately is a fact I feel a bit ashame of. (as I am from Germany). I have never been to Mallorca "Ballermann" and maybe never will, even there are some nice places around the island without tourists.
I have been to a 5***** Hotel Resort in Turkey with my parents a few years ago, and to me it was soo boring, I left the resort and took the lokal "Dolmus" mini-busses to every city around that place.

The tourists are taken to their hotels with large busses and never leave their hotel, probably they wont have any contact to locals execpt the German speaking hotel staff and they will never eat anything but their hotel catering. Maybe they do not notice whether they are in Turkey, Egypt, Canarian Islands, Balearic Islands or Dominican Republic at all? Of course it is their freedom to do, but this is not the way I want to spend my vacation.

I like travelling in the US because there are very good roads, very good rental cars, and cheap motels all around so I just can go to California, rent a Mustang and drive wherever I want to. I would not like to rent a car in Russia, or China, or many other countries because I just would feel insecure, but there are public transport opportunities all around the world. I have never used a taxi over the last 10 years.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:25 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,466 times
tvdxer: I think you may be going overboard with the generalizations there! I would consider myself to be middle class (not upper-middle) and I will soon be going to an all-inclusive resort close to one of the American locations described, however this will be my first resort style vacation (I'm trying it out!) I do like to experience other cultures when traveling, but sometimes it's nice to get away and simply relax. I think you can do both, not one or the other. But I purposely chose a resort that had a variety of local-style food options and no, I have no interest in senor frogs or chain restaurants in general, especially when traveling! I actually went on a family vacation on a cruise a few years ago and hated every second for the sheer generic-ness of it. I hated being shuffled out of the boat for a few hours and then back in without time enough to truly explore. Perhaps cruise travelers are more suited to your generalizations. But it's not everybody who stays at an all-inclusive!

I think the idea of backpacking, staying in hostels and generally traveling cheaply is intimidating to a lot of people. So they feel like they have to spend a lot of money to stay in a semi-fancy hotel to be reassured that they will be comfortable and that's where the I-don't-have-money-to-travel excuse comes in.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:42 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Most people who have enough money to go to distant places are vacationers, not travelers. This applies almost equally to both Americans and Europeans, and probably those of other nationalities as well. Their trips needn't be "educational" - in fact, this is a bad thing to many of them. Nor do they learn the local language beforehand - for the places they are going, they don't need to. All they want is a sunny beach, a comfortable hotel, strong drinks, and perhaps good food. Let's think about some of the most popular destinations:

* Brits: Corfu, Benidorm. Do more go there to "experience" Greek or Spanish culture, or to soak up the sun by day and drink by night (err...and day)?

* Americans: Cancun, Jamaica, Dominican Republic. Do more go there to "experience" Mexican / Jamaican / Dominican culture, or to enjoy a drink on a sunny beach?

...and so on. When you speak with a "real" sample of people (not just the well-educated upper-middle class who tend to be the ones frequenting this forum) - of any nationality I bargain - you will hear discussion about what beaches are best, where's the best place to party, what all-inclusive resorts are nicest, etc. What you won't hear much about is the local culture or even sites of historical and cultural interest, because the normal "vacationer" is not interested in these things (except if they are particularly outstanding, e.g. the Coliseum, the Mayan pyramids, etc.). In fact, many vacationers are fine with not leaving the resort compound, if it is nice enough. Experiencing the unfamiliar culture on the outside can be stressful to many people, and the vacationer's objective is to have a relaxing, stress-free holiday. They already experience enough stress in life. These are the people - the silent majority - to whom places like "Señor Frog's" and "Carlos n' Charlies" appeal to, to whom it is natural to order the same lobster tail or 16-oz porterhouse steak they can have at home in a distant locale.
What is the problem with how some people decide to spend their free time? If someone doesn't really care about foreign culture, why would they enjoy spending their money that they saved to go stay in a hotel in the middle of a city that will make them uncomfortable and unhappy..?

Old 10-25-2010, 10:47 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post
I travel to see friends a lot like this. Especially for birthdays or holidays. I don't want to have to take off work so I'll find a cheap southwest (or other airline) flight and leave on a friday at 6pm and come home sunday, late afternoon. It's perfect because I don't have to take off work and still have a little time to catch up with friends and have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel