Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2011, 02:21 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times

Advertisements

Travelling is like cooking. I may have stumbled across the most delicious recipes, made the most yum-delicious meals, and yet, will I ever make it again? I have said: I must make this again! And again! But I don't!

Why? Because there's a thousand recipes I haven't tried yet!

And yes, many times it's happened, I was lured by the recipe, tried it, and was disappointed. But all it takes is stumbling across the next recipe that leaves you dumbstruck, and all the less tasty dishes are quickly forgotten!

Onward, onward I go into the unknown frontier!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 08:18 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunJoaquin View Post
Damn! This thread fascinates me with its cockiness. So what if some of you have a passion in globe trotting? Why do you imply that others need to be like you?
So what nothing, to each his own! To follow tj's analogy, I would say there are people who want to try new recipes every day, and others love a recipe and only want to have that all the time. This is not necessarily a nationality thing, it is a personality one. And that's perfectly ok!

I just think it is a shame some people are not open to try great new things in life, but mainly open to see things on a different perspective (to me that is the true value of traveling, while seeing incredible places is a close second, but then again I am not a "10 countries in 10 days on a bus!!!" kind of gal).

I truly believe traveling is a huge eye opener, one can see on-site there are people who have it much easier or much harder than the traveler him/herself in many aspects of life. Ironically, sometimes living in "developed" (love these old-fashioned concepts!) countries is not necessarily having it better/easier in many aspects, and there's the everlasting "my developed is better than yours!" (hilarious, imo!) thing.
That varies according to one's priorities in life, though, and some people feel comfortable believing they have it better than everyone else in the entire world but have never experienced how others have it, which is beyond me (I have heard it from people from different countries, not talking about anyone in particular).

Tbh the cockiness goes both ways, don't you think?
a)I have traveled a lot and I am super cool (though not every traveler travels to brag, but rather to achieve cultural enrichment, believe me I am one of them! )
b)I have the best, so why bother seeing what's out there? (again, I have heard this from people from many countries, and it never ceases to amaze me! ) I guess only after one sees it one can actually say one has it better, but just automatically assuming it sounds rather conceited, doesn't it?

Mostly through my trips I have found there are amazing things I don't have, and other amazing things I do. Some I would like to have, some just do not matter to me. But every time, whether those matter to me or not, I learn something trying to see things through someone else's perspective, and that is what brings me the fulfillment I look for when traveling.

Quote:
There are people without a pot to **** in who can't go take a modest vacation in their own country.
Keep in mind that in many countries it is cheaper to travel abroad than to travel within the country itself.

Quote:
No excuses here; I DON'T WANT to travel abroad. Don't need to.
I can understand, and respect your opinion. No one "needs" to travel anywhere, it is a personal choice! Would you explain why you don't want to travel abroad?

Old 08-10-2011, 09:14 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,795 times
Quote:
Damn! This thread fascinates me with its cockiness. So what if some of you have a passion in globe trotting? Why do you imply that others need to be like you? I know someone who travels by joining missionaries. Now that's one heckuva way to become acquainted with the so-called REAL world, and I'd bet that most of the voracious globe trotters on here haven't given that one consideration.

No excuses here; I DON'T WANT to travel abroad. Don't need to.

Well said.

My wife and I travel extensively. We have stayed/lived in 55 countries in five continents in the last 42 years (all for leisure, not business-related.) At the same time, we have visited 49 states -- all but Alaska -- and found as much joy and wonder in the States as well as in other countries.

We have three children; our two daughters prefer foreign destinations, but our son is content with seeing the U.S., one state at a time. The one time he went to Italy was to visit us and he loved the experience (both the pleasure of seeing Europe and the confusion of being shafted by a rogue cab driver and left stranded without a means to contact anyone.) We offered him several more trips abroad, but he would rather use the fund to see more of this country.

There is nothing wrong of being content with the desire to see one's own country, especially when the country is huge and diverse as the U.S. In fact, everyone should learn if not more, then at least as much, about his/her own country before/while learning about other parts of the world.

After 42 years of traveling, we are certain that there is beauty to be seen and knowledge to be absorbed everywhere, including our own backyard. Some of the most intelligent and well-rounded people with whom we had the pleasure to meet and from whom we had to privilege to learn have never been out of their corner of the world. In the same breath, we have met along our wandering path some of the most obnoxious human beings whose over-inflated egos and a grocery list of places they have seen are the only two things they have to share.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 08-10-2011 at 09:25 AM..

Old 08-10-2011, 10:16 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Laziness, fears, now we're getting some place!

Fear is not something to ridicule. Different kinds of fears control different kinds of people. Fear of any kind may seem illogical to outsiders, but it's very real to the one who harbors the sentiment.

My wife is a brave person. Alone, she has started her life over several times. Alone, she has moved to several different continents, learned several new languages, dealt with many hardships and obstacles. Alone, she created homes to her loved ones several times over. Alone, she faced and survived all kinds of destruction, nature and man-made. She is brave at almost every front, except water. Because of her fear of drowning, she could not learn to swim. Her fear is illogical to me, but real to her.

I would never brush off as trivial anyone's fear. And anyone who sneers at other people's fear is a person whom I cannot respect.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 08-10-2011 at 11:46 AM..

Old 08-10-2011, 04:04 PM

313 posts, read 450,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
I can understand, and respect your opinion. No one "needs" to travel anywhere, it is a personal choice! Would you explain why you don't want to travel abroad?

Certainly.

As a youngster I never dreamed of traveling abroad, although I had a fascination for Egypt. And in adulthood I had other priorities, like raising a family on limited income. In fact, those years I/we didn't travel domestically, either. A trip to the beach for a few days was our reality and we were fine with it. We had no choice but to be fine with it.

I was middle-aged when I developed an interest to see other places in the US. An unforgettable experience was a week long drive through the upper half of Arizona, spending time at all the canyons and Indian ruins. There are all kinds of places here that I want to see, including that lower half of Arizona.

But I'm not retired. I have several years left to work and I darn sure don't want to use all my vacation time going somewhere else. I like staycations, too. And I'm right with the other poster who doesn't have the interest to go to Mexico. I don't either.

As for the other poster in this thread who's addicted to traveling, I say GOOD FOR HIM! It's great. I'm glad he can do so much of what he loves, and I assume that he doesn't have a family.

But to accuse people of being bricks on walls because they don't share his obsession is comparable to a nephew of mine who has a passion for math, and he cannot comprehend that others have no aptitude or love for it.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Certainly.

As a youngster I never dreamed of traveling abroad, although I had a fascination for Egypt. And in adulthood I had other priorities,

I was middle-aged when I developed an interest to see other places in the US.

But I'm not retired. I have several years left to work and I darn sure don't want to use all my vacation time going somewhere else.

As for the other poster in this thread who's addicted to traveling, I say GOOD FOR HIM! It's great. I'm glad he can do so much of what he loves, and I assume that he doesn't have a family.
Thank you, I understand your point. I will try to address some of the phrases I quoted from your post (just my opinion):

You used the magic word: priorities!!

I wonder why people tend to necessarily connect the concepts of "having a family/having responsibilities" with "not wanting to travel overseas". Another assumption is that the so-called globetrotters "don't have a family" or "don't have responsibilities".

Granted, it is not easy hauling a family across oceans, so some people prefer taking shorter (or at least domestic) trips due to several reasons, from logistical to financial ones.

Some people I know do not travel domestically bc in some countries it is more expensive to travel interstates than overseas. And then again some love the thrill of not speaking the local language, seeing something (for them) unusual, etc. It is a shame though bc some countries are really beautiful and people would have much fun if they traveled domestically as well.

Why (and be sure this is no criticism, just curiosity) are you so vehemently saying you wouldn't use your vacation time to go somewhere else? I bet it is worth a try. If you don't like it - some people really don't, even without having commitments, it is just their personality - then you can say 100% it is not your cup of tea.

I have always wanted to travel, from a young age. I always wondered how others lived, what they valued, the languages they spoke, what they ate, how they had fun, etc. It has brought me a sense of thankfulness for what I have (and a bit of jealousy for what I don't)!

The key here (unless of course one is a millionaire, and I am most certainly NOT one!) is to put your priorities first. I feel absolutely renovated after a couple weeks seeing different people/a different land. I made it a priority to me, even if I have to save and plan for my trips, and I am ok with that.

I don't think less of those who don't travel, but I don't like it when they see me as someone irresponsible bc I don't have a lot of family commitments that would specifically make it (more) difficult for me to do so.

Just like you felt uncomfortable when people assumed you were a "brick", I feel uncomfortable when people assume I am "irresponsible" and "have no family" just bc I like to travel... in both cases, it is not true.

We just have different priorities.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:21 PM

313 posts, read 450,607 times
Quote:
Thank you, I understand your point. I will try to address some of the phrases I quoted from your post (just my opinion):

You used the magic word: priorities!!

I wonder why people tend to necessarily connect the concepts of "having a family/having responsibilities" with "not wanting to travel overseas". Another assumption is that the so-called globetrotters "don't have a family" or "don't have responsibilities".

Granted, it is not easy hauling a family across oceans, so some people prefer taking shorter (or at least domestic) trips due to several reasons, from logistical to financial ones.

Some people I know do not travel domestically bc in some countries it is more expensive to travel interstates than overseas. And then again some love the thrill of not speaking the local language, seeing something (for them) unusual, etc. It is a shame though bc some countries are really beautiful and people would have much fun if they traveled domestically as well.

Why (and be sure this is no criticism, just curiosity) are you so vehemently saying you wouldn't use your vacation time to go somewhere else? I bet it is worth a try. If you don't like it - some people really don't, even without having commitments, it is just their personality - then you can say 100% it is not your cup of tea.

I have always wanted to travel, from a young age. I always wondered how others lived, what they valued, the languages they spoke, what they ate, how they had fun, etc. It has brought me a sense of thankfulness for what I have (and a bit of jealousy for what I don't)!

The key here (unless of course one is a millionaire, and I am most certainly NOT one!) is to put your priorities first. I feel absolutely renovated after a couple weeks seeing different people/a different land. I made it a priority to me, even if I have to save and plan for my trips, and I am ok with that.

I don't think less of those who don't travel, but I don't like it when they see me as someone irresponsible bc I don't have a lot of family commitments that would specifically make it (more) difficult for me to do so.

Just like you felt uncomfortable when people assumed you were a "brick", I feel uncomfortable when people assume I am "irresponsible" and "have no family" just bc I like to travel... in both cases, it is not true.

We just have different priorities.

Actually, it's another poster who was called a brick, not me.

Now, for a little education on my use of "vacation" time: I do use it. But where I work it's actually a Personal Time Off pot that is all-inclusive for illness and personal matters as well. I have medical issues, so I always make sure that I leave some time in there in case problems start again. I have some co-workers who haved used up so much of their PTO that they don't have time left for any vacation. So while the pot may look like a lot to some people, it goes fast under usage, and goes even faster under poor management. So I'm highly guarded with mine.

I also have family in another state that I try to see every year. I just spent a week here at home while one of them was visiting me. But I absolutely will not include them in a traveling or touristy-type vacation. I separate family visits from the other kind. Once in awhile I schedule a single day off just to have an extra day lazing at home, and I always stretch New Year's into a 4-day weekend, just to recover from the holidays. I don't schedule extra time with T-day or Christmas unless there's a reason to do so.

I don't think I would have enjoyed pulling my kids in tow everywhere we'd go. It would have definitely depended on the destination, because my unruly ones would NOT have travelled well --- trust me on this one! And I don't think you're irresponsible at all. If anything, perhaps admirable for being able to haul kids around in all your travels and still have a good time. Admirable and lucky!

Old 08-10-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Actually, it's another poster who was called a brick, not me.
Oops, I might have misread your post!

Quote:
I don't think I would have enjoyed pulling my kids in tow everywhere we'd go. It would have definitely depended on the destination, because my unruly ones would NOT have travelled well --- trust me on this one! And I don't think you're irresponsible at all. If anything, perhaps admirable for being able to haul kids around in all your travels and still have a good time. Admirable and lucky!
Actually I don't have children (just myself and dh in our home), but I sure get what you are saying. Sometimes I see people traveling with children who look very bored and tired during trips (e.g. museum visits), and I think if one is traveling with a family one should make enjoyable plans for everyone!

Old 08-10-2011, 07:41 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
I may be wrong, but I believe most Americans who go overseas only see the main attractions and don't get much of the experience. Europe has great high-speed trains and I bet many Americans who have visited there have never been on one.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:04 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Keep in mind that in many countries it is cheaper to travel abroad than to travel within the country itself.
I have an accounting background, and whenever I've planned a trip I get out my calculator: a trip in the U.S. vs. a foreign trip.

My 16 day trip to Ecuador. Yes, the airfare is going to be higher. Offset by 16 days of hotel rooms (comfortable rooms to boot) where I never paid more than $15. I didn't need a rental car, as the bus/mass transit system was super cheap. Food prices were about the same, just a tad cheaper.

I had some dental work while I was down there, a great savings. I snapped up piles of pirated CD's and DVD's at $1 a piece. Even a mint condition copy of Gone With The Wind. What would that have cost me in the U.S.? Also brought back some medication, a real savings as well.

There's no way I could done this trip in the U.S. (particularly needing a rental car at my destination along with gas prices) any cheaper.

16 days X $15 (some nights only $10) = $240. And how many people spend that amount for a one night's stay in NYC!

My 5 trips to Central America, again, out came the calculator. It was cheaper, overall, than staying in my own country.

I have every reason to scoff at those who say they can't afford foreign travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel