Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 07:32 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu Again View Post
Americans are wussies when it comes to international travel. Period.
What the hell are you talking about. Question mark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 07:45 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
For example, lots of English and Germans visit Spain. Do most of them go for the "vivacious" Spanish culture or the "exquisite" Spanish cuisine or the museums? No. They go for the sun, beaches, . Therefore you have towns on the Spanish coastline where you'll find British pubs, British grocery stores, and British-themed radio stations. Likewise, Germans have their "Ballermann 6" in the Spanish isles. In addition, you won't find warmth even in Spain in the winter (when many are drawn to warmer climes), so Brits and Germans find themselves in Cuba, Mexico, or Thailand.
You got that right. British go to Spain because it's a cheap place to get drunk, get away from sucky British weather, and real beaches that you can swim in without suffering from hypothermia. Same with Greece. Australians go to Bali not to explore the rich Hindu culture, but because it's a quick airflight and a cheap place to get drunk for a week.
For 80% of americans we can achieve the same results by driving 8 hours or less to the nearest beach.

Again (which I explained way back on page 4 or 5) I don't understand this topic however - Americans travel! I travel, I see Americans - business and recreations traveling. I take international flights - I see mostly americans. I have taken at least 6 international trips this year (mostly for business) in 3 continents - I SEE AMERICANS more than any other nationality. Their is a reason every hotel, resteraunt, etc in a tourist area has employees that speak english. This entire thread is based on misleading assumptions. It's false, BS, not accurate. I could more accurately start a thread that says "why do Americans travel more than any other nationality".

Old 08-15-2011, 07:59 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu Again View Post
Americans are wussies when it comes to international travel. Period.
How can that be!!! America is Home of the Brave!!! Our bravery is legendary!

Old 08-15-2011, 08:24 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
What Charles in PGI says about us English abroad is very true - we do like our home comforts! (...) We are not
adventurous, most hotels in Spain cater to what we like to eat at home
Woah there, as a European you are disrupting tijlover's weird mantra that Europeans are the brave adventurous ones while Americans are not. This notion of his of course has the side-effect of stroking tijlover's ego as that makes him think he is quite the swashbuckling adventurer, not that I would expect much more from someone who needs attention enough to walk a ferret on the Vegas strip.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:27 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,915,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
How can that be!!! America is Home of the Brave!!! Our bravery is legendary!
Yep, really sounds like you have 310 million people summed up quite nicely

While many Americans don't go abroad, those that do tend to be quite adventurous. If you disagree, you should surround yourself with people who are more like you!

Old 08-17-2011, 06:59 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,427,959 times
There are English people who are adventurous of course. Generally young people who
go back packing to out of the way places. But the majority like what they get at home.
There is a resort called Benidorm on the Costa Blanca in Spain. Right now it is awash in
English people eating food that the eateries boast on signs outside Sunday dinner - Roast
beef, roast potatoes, veg and real English gravy!! A lot of the bars are set out like pubs in
England. Most of the people who go there just want something like England with sun and
cheap booze. In winter it's full of elderly English who go there for months sometimes playing
bingo.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:42 PM

487 posts, read 890,993 times
Ah I love Americans. So quick to stereotype other countries ("the English only like to party!"), so defensive when anyone makes a claim about America ("way to generalise 300 million people!").

Old 08-19-2011, 01:28 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHwboy View Post
Ah I love Americans. So quick to stereotype other countries ("the English only like to party!"), so defensive when anyone makes a claim about America ("way to generalise 300 million people!").
Actually, the first one who said the English only like to party on these threads is an English man who lives in England, English Dave, whose post is immediately above yours. We (Americans) who had seen the same thing happened uncountable times, just followed suit and agreed with him.

And no, it's not stereotype if it's the truth. Not every English likes to party, but a great majority of young and not-so-young English travelers see travel as a means to party, and almost all mature English travelers also travel abroad only to have the same kind of party in the same kind of English clubs/pubs/resorts as they have at home, with other English people.

Most English expats also live among other English expats while American expats don't. American expats get together occasionally, but they don't live within a small radius with other American expats.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 08-19-2011 at 01:49 PM..

Old 08-19-2011, 03:17 PM

487 posts, read 890,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles in PGI View Post
Most English expats also live among other English expats while American expats don't. American expats get together occasionally, but they don't live within a small radius with other American expats.
That's certainly not how it is in Brussels. Hell, there's one school for the american expat brats (isb) and one for all the other expats (esb).

chwboy

Old 08-19-2011, 04:18 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHwboy View Post
That's certainly not how it is in Brussels. Hell, there's one school for the american expat brats (isb) and one for all the other expats (esb).

chwboy
Schools, yes, there has to be one for Americans and one for British, or one that offers both curricula that are required by American and English, due to the fierce competition to enter prestige American colleges and for the rigid requirements in British education system at certain levels (such as GCSE and A level.) If American students and English students study the same thing as European students, they would not be able to return to their respective countries' higher education system with ease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel