U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 01:08 AM

1 posts, read 2,576 times

Advertisements

Hey, how are you guys? I want to talk you about Japan. I love Japan and anime since i was 13 years old.I always dreamed about going there w/o any problems, just to explore Japan. I was doing research on "Blacks in Japan" and I found a mix match of things about Japan, such as Japanese are much nicer to African Americans and there a lot of racism over there. I want to feel confident once i go, but at the same time, i am nervous on going because I feel that i will be viewed as "Stereotypical" black male, which i am not, I don't like sagging and being loud. But anyways, I want to know how are black people are treated over there. All i want to do is to go over there and have a great time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 06:23 AM

361 posts, read 861,150 times
Abandon the notion of traveling anyplace "without any problems." You will guarantee disappointment, and be unable to appreciate or overcome the challenges you will inevitably face.

Racism not limited to the US; nor is crime, pollution, etc. People will treat you differently because you're a foreigner in their country, not necessarily because you are black. It's natural to be afraid of the unknown but the best part of travel is the discovery. I have two black friends that did internships in Japan and they had very different experiences. One thing you'll learn when you travel is your mileage may vary. (Isn't that true of living in the US as well?)

A few ideas to make local acquaintances:
- Make an effort to learn the language. There are free language exchanges online where you can assist someone with conversational English and they can help you with Japanese.
- Volunteer locally while there.
- You appreciate anime; attend a meet-up or club for it.
- Essentially, try some things the stereotypical American can't be bothered with.

You'll be fine. A positive attitude goes a long way in any country.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:00 AM

8,268 posts, read 9,373,469 times
This guy is somewhat of a cult-hero among people who want to learn Japanese. He's a black guy who's similar in love for Japan so became fluent in under two years by some extensive self-immersion technique, then interviewed and landed a job in Japan as a software developer.

About | All Japanese All The Time Dot Com: How to learn Japanese. On your own, having fun and to fluency.

You might find some info on his site about Japanese attitudes towards him.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:57 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,871,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfamousStarKiller11 View Post
Hey, how are you guys? I want to talk you about Japan. I love Japan and anime since i was 13 years old.I always dreamed about going there w/o any problems, just to explore Japan. I was doing research on "Blacks in Japan" and I found a mix match of things about Japan, such as Japanese are much nicer to African Americans and there a lot of racism over there. I want to feel confident once i go, but at the same time, i am nervous on going because I feel that i will be viewed as "Stereotypical" black male, which i am not, I don't like sagging and being loud. But anyways, I want to know how are black people are treated over there. All i want to do is to go over there and have a great time.
1. People will always stereotype.You will automatically be stereotyped because you are a foreigner there. Don't let it get to you.

2. As long as you don't act abnormal (like many anime fans/weeaboos) and are polite, you will be fine.

3. Most blacks, or any others, who go to japan have an ok time.

4. As with any country, learn the good parts and bad parts (like yakuza clubs) so you can know which areas to avoid....I'm kidding!

Old 07-07-2010, 05:24 AM

507 posts, read 538,954 times
I'm a black female, and I've traveled around Japan with no major issues. I lived in a small coastal town, and I visited large cities. The most awkward experience I had was when I wore a Yukata (kind of like a kimono) to a festival, which was part of the festival's tradition. People were more than stunned to see me dressed like this (even though everyone else was), some people stared, some people laughed and pointed, some people smiled, and I was extremely embarrassed. In the end, I got over it, and had a great time. You should be fine. At most people might be curious, and ask you questions. I really don't think you'll have any major problems with racism. Have fun! Japan is awesome.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:41 PM

17,032 posts, read 23,819,586 times
People there stared at my red hair, your going to get looked at but most are polite.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:19 PM

402 posts, read 689,641 times
Default One Experience

I heard from one of my more distant relatives who is a white woman in a relationship with a black man that she was unable to get a surgery performed while living in Japan because of this. I have never been to Japan, and I'm not saying all Japanese people are like that, but from her experience actually living there (not just visiting) she did experience racism because of her black partner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel