U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 07:26 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,422,694 times

Advertisements

At this point in our lives, traveling is a huge priority. My husband and I met in 2006, married in 2008. Since we met, we have been to 48 states and 14 countries. This year alone we've been to Europe, Puerto Vallarta, Jackson Hole/Yellowstone, NYC, Vegas, SF and countless local trips since we're new to SoCal and still exploring this area. Upcoming we have NYC in 2 weeks followed by Costa Rica 4 days after we get back and Napa/SF 2 weeks after that. We travel at least once a month, usually much more. We have no kids yet and make travel a priority while we're still young and able to do so.

I should say, I was born and raised in Europe and DH is from Africa, so we were brought up in a world where we traveled internationally as children and had passports at birth. My mother instilled travel in me and to this day, I get away every chance I get. I will do the same for my own kids. I actually have a friend who lives just outside of NYC, who is 27 years old, and has never been on a plane or outside state lines for the exception of crossing from NJ to NYC. And, he has no desire to do so.

I too will never understand homebodies. The world is a small place, why not see it all? I love learning about other cultures, eating their foods and just wandering the streets of a foreign nation. I was born a traveler and will travel for as long as physically possible. Some people spend cash on fancy houses or other material possessions. I'd much rather get on a plane and go to a foreign land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 05:38 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,231,496 times
I must say that after being on the road traveling for a week or more, it is nice to get back to the home environs with all the luxuries/comforts of home. Hotel living does get old very fast - especially after having a fight w/ bedbugs in my last journey.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:13 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,160,721 times
Traveling is a priority ...I'd say undoubtedly, like annek...but there's something weird in my interest in traveling : I do it seriously, do my homework before, take it first and foremost as an education, like if I xas taking courses at the university. I don't travel for pleasure, I hate in fact the state of utter exhaustion I can feel after red eyes flights (for instance), but, still, it is for me necessary for my moral and intellectual balance.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:13 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,187,514 times
Travel is a priority for me. Experiencing other cultures, seeing how folks in other places live their lives, the different values and customs is fascinating to me. Other than reading, how else do we learn that there are other ways to live our lives than by experiencing cultures different than that in which we are raised? Even traveling in the U.S. I see regional differences in perspectives that can be quite a change from what I am accustomed to. Travel abroad and one quickly understands how and why Americans are regarded by other countries. If I couldn't travel I would be very unhappy; even if I have to go in debt to make a trip I will do it. Life is short and uncertain so, best to see all that you can see in the time that you have available. If I end up old and broke at least I will have my memories!

Old 07-09-2010, 06:32 AM

2,024 posts, read 2,988,723 times
YES YES YES!! I am American but live in Scotland and lived in Uganda for 2 years. We retired early and travel internationally at least twice a year. We don't have unlimited travel funds but do pretty well. We both found it really painful to find it necessary to put new windows in our house at the price of 22,000 (about $30,000+). We tried not to think about what trips that would have paid for.....New Zealand, a long road trip in the US...

Some of our travels that I've found enriched my life:
-while living in Uganda we got to know the locals, go on safaris to see wildlife, eat local foods
-visited South Africa and saw awesome scenery, met lovely people
-architecture and canals in Bruge Belgium
-sampled fabulous food in France, visited champagne country, practiced very bad French
-seeing Sydney opera house from a boat in the Bay, walked across the Sydney Bridge
-specatacular scenery on Great Ocean Road southern Australia
-wandering around Paris
-historic sites all over the UK
-listening to lovely accents in Ireland
-castles, ancient sites
-seeing the original Declaration of Independence in DC
-seeing the well worn flag that inspired the national anthem at the American History museum, DC
-civil war sites at Gettysburg
-Big Sur in California
etc etc etc.

We are looking forward to our first visit to Italy in a couple of months which will include the Vatican, returning to Uganda for a visit next year, etc etc....

You bet it's a priority!!

Old 07-09-2010, 06:33 AM

2,024 posts, read 2,988,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Travel is a priority for me. Experiencing other cultures, seeing how folks in other places live their lives, the different values and customs is fascinating to me. Other than reading, how else do we learn that there are other ways to live our lives than by experiencing cultures different than that in which we are raised? Even traveling in the U.S. I see regional differences in perspectives that can be quite a change from what I am accustomed to. Travel abroad and one quickly understands how and why Americans are regarded by other countries. If I couldn't travel I would be very unhappy; even if I have to go in debt to make a trip I will do it. Life is short and uncertain so, best to see all that you can see in the time that you have available. If I end up old and broke at least I will have my memories!

Old 07-09-2010, 08:47 AM

2,296 posts, read 4,666,387 times
Yes. I missed out on lots of travel due to lack of funds, limited vacation time, and family obligations. I have traveled a lot in the US for work but I'm very limited in non-US travel. Hope to change that with a trip or two this year.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:16 AM

25,672 posts, read 24,312,431 times
Though I absolutely LOVE to travel, its not a priority, nor is it a possible reality. But then, in my day of driving truck, you get to see lots of pretty places and get an idea of where youd like to go for a mini getaway or a vacation. Lots of places Ive never been to except in passing through, yet lots of places Id go back to.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:30 AM

12,039 posts, read 16,780,137 times
Absolutely essential.

Growing up, my parents made it a priority to see all of the US before we did any family trips out of the country (though my dad made a few business trips to Hong Kong and took my mom on one of them- my brother and I were too young to go). By the time I graduated from high school, I had been to 40 states and visited 4 more on my own in the first 2 years of college.

My junior year of college, I went abroad from the summer before through spring. I lived in Iceland the summer of 2008, Oaxaca, Mexico in the fall of 2008, and London for 6 months in 2009. I can't say enough about the experience, I got the chance to travel extensively in Iceland, southern Mexico, and the UK, seeing areas tourists never would due to the ability to live in homestays and (in the case of Mexico) speak the language well. Additionally, I had saved for years to travel, so I was able to travel to 10 more countries while living in England. There's nothing like hopping on a plane by yourself as a 21 year old knowing on the other end was a country you didn't speak the language of and that you'd have to find your way around. Very freeing.

I haven't had the opportunity to travel much since due to my last year of college, graduation, and unemployment, but as soon as I get a job, I will begin saving for another trip to visit my dear friends in the UK and a trip to visit friends in Chile.

Some highlights:
- spending the wee hours of the 4th of July with some friends and a drunk, elderly, blind Scottish man in the small city I was living with in Iceland. He kept buying me beers because I could answer all of his obscure American trivia.
- people being incredibly nice and patient with my school French in Paris. I spoke for the 3 friends I was traveling and consistently got compliments despite how badly I knew I was butchering the language
- Dia de los Muertos in Oaxaca
- helping draw new graffiti on the John Lennon wall with some local teenagers in Prague
- chatting with the women who worked in the fondas (small restaurants) in markets all over Mexico and eating whatever they handed over to me: bugs, octopus, spice that made me cry and sweat
- making blood sausage with my "family" in Iceland while the kids tried to teach me Icelandic words
- discussing John McCain's position on torture with an Icelandic family who barely spoke English (but they were quite knowledgeable about American politics)
- lighting a candle and saying the Kaddish over the Yiddish memorial in Birkenau (while tourists videotaped me >.<) and leaving rocks on the Ladino monument
- being searched and grilled about my Judaism going into the hidden synagogue in Vienna by a big guy that I swore must have been Mossad ("What holiday just happened" -'Passover' "SAY IT IN HEBREW")
- fasting for Yom Kippur in Mexico while my host mother tried to keep bringing me alcoholic drinks to "keep up my strength"
- having an interesting run in with some German guys in Poland who questioned me and a friend about the n-word, not understanding why it was so bad and honestly curious (which we later had to explain to our Aussie companions as well)
- speaking Spanish to a Portuguese couple in Hungary
- being in a TMobile commercial in London (the one with P!nk)
- celebrating Obama's election in Mexico and inauguration in London

I have had wonderful experiences traveling in the US (getting invited to a fall festival in Connecticut while canvassing, being force fed Southern foods like livermush by a friend's grandparents in SC that they never ate but thought would be funny to give me, hearing the life story of an elderly black woman from Philadelphia on Amtrak) but my experiences abroad are a whole new ballgame. I suggest that everyone should live in a country where they are iffy on the language at least once in their life- it will change the way you think about communication, yourself, and the US (or whatever your home country is).

Old 07-09-2010, 01:36 PM

615 posts, read 789,853 times
Traveling is extremely important in my life. It's the adventure and exploration of new places that does it for me. It's so extremely important that I won't even consider dating anyone who can't stand road trips or air travel. I'm going on a 3000+ mile road trip this Monday. (Los Angeles to Jacksonville, FL and from there to Washington D.C.). It helps to have friends and family in some of the states I'll be passing through, so it saves money when it comes to accommodations. So far I've been to 23 states.

I've flown to Montreal, Quebec 4 years ago to meet with a friend that I met online. It was a great experience. I can't explain how great it was, because you'd have to be there. We drove from Montreal to Quebec City, just to visit, and even she had never gone up there before. So we both enjoyed that travel destination.

About 2 1/2 years ago I was sent to Munich, Germany for my job. I was so speechless and excited when they asked me to go. I got to live there for 3 months and adapted pretty well for someone that doesn't speak German. While out there, I was also able to take the train to Salzburg, Austria and Zurich, Switzerland. It was like being in a dream, but it was real. That's probably the only thing I'll ever miss about that job...the traveling privileges. So, I'm hoping that the next job I have, I'll get to do a lot of traveling.

Travel while you still can and experience the world!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel