U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 02:49 PM

2,086 posts, read 2,170,923 times

Advertisements

I have never been to either, but everybody I know that went to Jamaica HATED it. Everyone that I know that went to the Bahamas, loved it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 05:41 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,565,311 times
A friend of mine was murdered in Jamaica in Montego Bay. He and his wife were walking back to their hotel after dinner, were mugged and he was murdered--one block from the entrance to the hotel.

Jamiaca is truly gorgeous, but is not a place to "mingle with the locals." You'd be taking your life into your hands, seriously.

The Bahamas are relatively safe, as are St. Thomas and Cozumel. Puerto Rico is a bit iffy in many places if you venture away from the main tourist areas, but otherwise it's fine.

Of all the islands I've been to, I felt the safest in Grand Cayman. There's not as much poverty there as on the other islands. If you want to sit on pristine beeaches, eat at good restaurants, and shop, it's a great place to go. Same thing with St. John.

I felt the least safe in Haiti and Jamaica.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:54 AM

212 posts, read 614,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
I have never been to either, but everybody I know that went to Jamaica HATED it. Everyone that I know that went to the Bahamas, loved it.

I'm opppsite. I really liked Jamaica and can't wait to go back but would rather not go back to the Bahamas.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:18 PM

2,086 posts, read 2,170,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
A friend of mine was murdered in Jamaica in Montego Bay. He and his wife were walking back to their hotel after dinner, were mugged and he was murdered--one block from the entrance to the hotel.

Jamiaca is truly gorgeous, but is not a place to "mingle with the locals." You'd be taking your life into your hands, seriously.

The Bahamas are relatively safe, as are St. Thomas and Cozumel. Puerto Rico is a bit iffy in many places if you venture away from the main tourist areas, but otherwise it's fine.

Of all the islands I've been to, I felt the safest in Grand Cayman. There's not as much poverty there as on the other islands. If you want to sit on pristine beeaches, eat at good restaurants, and shop, it's a great place to go. Same thing with St. John.

I felt the least safe in Haiti and Jamaica.
So sorry to hear that!
There was something from the US Embassy there saying Americans should not travel there. I don't know if that has changed but I would never go there.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:33 PM

5 posts, read 14,189 times
Jamaica, but Montego Bay and Ocho Rios are too touristy and Kingston is not for tourists at all. Fly into MoBay and take a hotel transfer to Negril. The Rockhouse Hotel is amazing. It's in the Cliffs, safem not so touristy and the locals there are very friendly. The all-inclusives are ripoffs. 7 Mile Beach, some of the best restaurants and clubs in Jamaica are 5 minutes away by taxi. As anywhere you don't want to be out walking at night and don't flash anything expensive or look like a target. Take a legal taxi when you go out at night.

People tend to feel safer in the Bahamas because it's like being in Florida, just prettier and with Caribbean music.

Either way you need a passport.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:48 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,565,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
So sorry to hear that!
There was something from the US Embassy there saying Americans should not travel there. I don't know if that has changed but I would never go there.
Thank you.

It was a terrible tragedy. They had no flashy jewelry or clothing--she had on cheap plastic earrings and they both had their plain gold wedding bands and cheap watches, that was it--they left all the good jewelry at home. They immediately handed over their wallets. The thugs just stabbed him in the chest anyhow and left them on the street. He bled out before they could get him to a hospital.

It is safe if you go to one of the resorts, but it is not safe to leave those resorts or the tourist areas near the cruise ship piers to "mingle" with the general Jamaican population. And Kingston is never safe--even if you are Jamaican. In fact the omicide rate there is one of--if not the--highest in the western hemisphere.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:11 AM

721 posts, read 2,661,610 times
Default Jamaica

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAisGreat View Post
Looks like my wife and I will be taking our first trip alone together w/o the kids for the first time since our honeymoon....

We are trying to decide between Jamaica or the Bahamas? We will be flying out of Orlando on Spirirt Airlines. They have flights to Nassau, Montego Bay, and Kingston. Any opinions, etc. from anyone that's been to either or even better BOTH of these places? We know absolutely nothing about them.

I'm the type that would love being thrown into the 'real culture' of the area...'Roughing it' with the locals, my wife is more the type who wants everything safe and orderly. I hear all about these all-inclusive resorts but have no idea what they are like. So not even sure where we will stay, maybe an all-inclusive place? A regular big-name resort/hotel? Also looking on homeaway.com and are open to maybe even renting a villa or house that is more in a local area and not in the safe confines of the big tourist compounds.

Important:
1. Beach
2. Food
3. Nightlife to do

We will only be able to stay 3 or 4 nights.

Should we go Bahamas or Jamaica?

Also passport...neither of us has one...Can we get one on this short of notice?
I'm kind of like you I like roughing it, my gf is very into planning, a little picky about food, not that adventurous about destinations.

Jamaica was my first time out of the country, have since been there three times. I'd highly recommend checking out trip advisor. There's also a great blog wtih some travel advice at Jamaica Blog. Check out CoCo La Palm too, great hotel in Negirl.

If you do go to jamaica you want to fly into montego bay not kingston. You'd be happiest staying in Negril. Montego Bay is kind of a place wher emost people dont leave the resort, ocho rios is where the cruise ships come into. Negril is laid back, safe to go around town by yourself, real 7 miles beach as opposed to the manmade beaches in montego bay with planes flying over your resort all ay.

The water is safe to drink which is nice. The food is great. Jamaica has much more character than other cariberan islands, personaly I think all the others are kind of the same ther is something unique about jamaica.

I've been using the same driver for the past several years. He's a great guy, very professional but also very fun. He takes time on tours rather than rushing you through just wanting to get your money like some people. If you wind up going feel free to pm me for his info.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:59 AM

1,756 posts, read 3,157,093 times
I know this is an old thread but I have the same debate, what did OP finally decide?

Old 06-22-2012, 10:29 AM

2,143 posts, read 3,556,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
I know this is an old thread but I have the same debate, what did OP finally decide?
Bumping this up as well b/c I'm trying to take a trip with my girlfriend in December. It's pretty much down to these two.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:44 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,353,473 times
Some of the smaller "Out Islands" in the Bahamas are lovely, really laid-back and romantic. We've been to one of them, Harbour Island. It's a nice little place, although not particularly cheap. Nassau, on the other hand, is really tacky, mostly because of all the gigantic cruise ships that stop there. My husband used to take holidays there years ago, out on Cable Beach, which is their big Miami-style hotel strip. Not sure what it's like out there now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel