U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 12:03 PM

8,225 posts, read 14,927,129 times

Advertisements

I've been to nassau twice: I had no desire to return after the first time, but it worked out best for taking my step-son and his gf on their first cruise. I really have no desire to return when there are so many places I haven't seen and so many I'd just love to spend more time.

Jamaica - hot but better, imo, than the Bahamas.

My favorite place in all of the Caribbean is St. Thomas - been there twice, met a CDer who lives there and spent the day with her the 2nd time around. I want to spend more time on StT - it is expensive, but it's so beautiful.

I'd love to go back also to Puerto Rico - 2 visits and we didn't see enough.

So, picking only between Jamaica and Bahamas - tough call. I'd definitely check out TripAdvisor before making any reservations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 12:39 PM

4,883 posts, read 3,973,523 times
When I was on my first ever cruise, a lot of seasoned cruise travellers stayed on the ship at Jamaica. When I asked one why he was not getting off, he said "I 've been there before and it is not worth going back"
Once the day was over, I realized why, and I too would skip Jamaica if I ever ended up on a cruise that went there.
Bahamas used to be the most fun place but crime has gotten bad there, while it is more expensive than ever. Outside of staying in a resort, like the Atlantis, I would not venture Bahamas as a vacation. But I would take it over Jamaica any day.
I would recommend a few alternatives. Find an all inclusive resort in the Dominican Republic that caters to your interests, as in golf , sailing, watersports. Or look into Grand Turk if you are wanting to go for a relaxing week. It is a little less touristy and safer than the town of Nassau.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:58 PM

2,125 posts, read 2,910,211 times
I've been to both countries and I'd choose Jamaica, Negril actually. You need to fly to Montego Bay, then take a car ride to Negril by car (most hotels will arrange for transport from and to airport for a nominal fee). The ride is roughly 2 hours passing beautiful scenery. The thing about Jamaica, it's kinda tricky to find non all inclusive hotels since they're the birth place of all inclusive resorts. But if you look hard, you'll find it. We stayed at Charella Inn, a beautiful beachfront property in Negril with restaurant on-site & seemed to be favored by European tourists (maybe because the owner is French). The restaurant serves French cuisine with a bit of Jamaican flavor thrown in. At night, you can go to town and enjoy the night.

Nassau is boring, unless you go stay at the Atlantis on Paradise Island - a short ferry ride away from Nassau. But then I wouldn't call The Atlantis experience 'local'. Expect to pay through the roof for everything at the Atlantis. One thing to keep in mind about Bahamas, your restaurant bills will automatically get tacked on 20% service charge no matter what. So don't expect good customer service since they'll get 20% tip no matter what they do.

Honestly, if you want good food, friendly locals, good beaches, exciting night life, and safety, I would go to San Juan, Puerto Rico. Those Puerto Ricans really know how to party!

Old 06-26-2012, 05:40 PM

28,490 posts, read 62,136,122 times
Jamaica has better/more weed.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:31 PM

8,630 posts, read 19,063,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Jamaica has better/more weed.

and it's illegal here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel