U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2010, 08:14 AM

6 posts, read 22,162 times

Advertisements

I am looking at doing a 5 week trip with my family out west and back in an RV. It seems like all of the great places to visit are from Colorado and west. Has anyone been to any great places...must see places... that we should visit on the way out.

We have not planned out our trip yet, so we are open to any route heading west. I am going to plan it based on the what looks like the most fund for the ride west, whether it be a southern route, a northern route, or right down the middle.

Any must see recommendations would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 10:11 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
America's Byways®: National Scenic Byways Online

SE Iowa

Six-Time Tourism County of the Year
The Villages of Van Buren . . Antiques-Hunting-Fishing-Canoeing-Hiking-Historic Sites-Lakes and Parks . . You'll find it all in Van Buren County, Iowa!
Southeast Iowa tourism

Nebraska-
Lincoln; State Capital tour
Gibbon; Windmill Wayside park Campground Review - Windmill State Recreation Area, Gibbon, Nebraska
Minden: Pioneer Village Pioneer Village
North Platte; Buffalo Bill (Also watch PBS special on North Platte Canteen, before you go)
Paxton; Burgers Ole's Big Game Steakhouse & Lounge (http://www.olesbiggame.com/steakhs.htm - broken link)
Sidney; Free Camping Cabela's Sidney, NE Retail Store : Cabela's Retail

Kansas- (very interesting prairie life)
Rural Kansas Tourism
Kansas - Flint Hills
Kansas Travel and Tourism Division, Kansas Department of Commerce

(are you going into CO? it is my home state so I have a few ideas there too)

What time of yr?
I like the Hill country of TX too. (NW of San Antonio) SA is nice between Thanksgiving and Christmas, lighted canal... Nebraska and KS could be 'not-so-nice' that time of yr

Old 07-10-2010, 08:58 AM

263 posts, read 663,271 times
we've gone to denver several times on 80 and once on 70. since we home-schooled, we checked out things that had to do with the settlers going out west like oregon trail sites, the pioneer museum that is actually over the freeway (i forget what they call it) and a little sod house museum in a tiny little town. usually there are signs telling where these things are.
the rapid city, SD area has mt. rushmore of course, but also the crazy horse monument and the caves and the badlands and is good for several days.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:09 AM

14,256 posts, read 23,974,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Ours View Post
I am looking at doing a 5 week trip with my family out west and back in an RV. It seems like all of the great places to visit are from Colorado and west. Has anyone been to any great places...must see places... that we should visit on the way out.
I don't think that is a fair statement. There are a heck of a lot of things to do in the midwest.

I agree with the prior poster especially regarding the Nebraska sites. If the state would market their assets as well as South Dakota does, they could double the number of visitors.

Michigan:
Ford Rouge Factory Tours
Henry Ford Museum - the best museum in the US
Greenfield Village

Ohio:
Cedar Point - greatest collection of roller coasters in the world.

Missouri:
Anheuser Busch Factory Tours - St. Louis
Grants Farm and the national monument next door - St. Louis
Gateway Arch and the Westward Expansion Museum - St. Louis
American Jazz Museum - Kansas City
Negro Leagues Baseball Museum - Kansas City

Old 07-10-2010, 01:51 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,444,463 times
When you mentioned that it seems all the good places to visit are past Colorado, you probably meant the popular National Parks. Well here are some ideas of other things to see that you may find interesting, too.

Places I've been or attractions I've seen that were interesting, to me at least:

Dodge City, Kansas - Front Street Museum and other attractions
Mount Rushmore, South Dakota
Wind Cave National Park, South Dakota
The 1880s Train, Keystone, South Dakota
Cheyenne, Wyoming - UP Railroad yard and steam locomotive shop, Lions Park (home of museums and the Cheyenne Botanic Garden), historic Downtown and Capitol
Guernsey, Wyoming - Oregon Trail Ruts and Register Cliff, Guernsey Reservoir
Branson, Missouri - Silver Dollar City, Table Rock Lake, numerous music theaters
Scottsbluff, Nebraska - Scottsbluff monument and nearby Chimney Rock, both historic sites along Oregon Trail
Sydney, Nebraska - Cabela's store

Other places I'd still like to see that are close to the places mentioned above:

Hutchinson, Kansas - air and space museum
North Platte, Nebraska - U.P. Bailey Yard, the world's largest rail yard
Wall, South Dakota - Wall Drug Store and Badlands National Park

Other suggestions for information about places to see:

Check the National Park Website for suggestions: U.S. National Park Service - Experience Your America
Check State Park websites for the states you may travel through
Nashville and Memphis, TN - Lots of music history
Civil War sites
Various museums associated with industry, such as coal mining in West Virginia, cattle drives in Kansas and Texas, or the railroad and steel industries in Pennsylvania
State and city tourism websites for those places you may visit

Old 07-13-2010, 05:29 PM

Thanks. I also came across Mammoth Cave national park in Kentucky. Dodge City looks fun. Any other suggestions would be great

Old 07-13-2010, 05:36 PM

767 posts, read 2,002,788 times
If you get off the freeways and travel the two lane roads, you will really see America.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:53 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,039,109 times
What time of year are you planning to go?

Old 07-17-2010, 07:24 PM

June/July is the time of year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or