Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 05:20 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,869,940 times

Advertisements

I did it quite a few times without problems but I wasn't in USA. I didn't have any problems doing it. I actually did it once internationally with Spirit Air flying in to USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 10:35 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,755,761 times
I didn't actually do that but once a couple of years ago I showed up for a flight exactly 24 hrs late and was able to buy the ticket I needed. Ouch though.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:06 PM

529 posts, read 1,005,676 times
Me and a friend used to do it all the time.

Of course we were non-rev so it's a little different.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:15 PM

250 posts, read 904,162 times
They are called walk-up fares.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:15 PM

27,290 posts, read 27,344,222 times
Me, being the spontaneous person I am, have done so a few times. Just go to the airport and grab the next flight out to....where ever just 'because'. A standby flight may not get you the seat you want but you still get there and my word search book and/or a nap fills the time anyway.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:20 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,643,111 times
You would get a ticket on the flight if there are seats and you have the money to pay for it. What you may be hearing on these last minute tickets is two things.
1. airlines are flying fuller planes which makes the number of availabe seats smaller. Less available seats means less chance of getting a ticket. Flying during slow periods or when multiple flights are leaving to the same destination, will get you a better shot at a ticket. But it all comes down to if a seat is empty.
2. Last minute flights presents some security issues with airlines checking names against security list. Show up too late, and if things are busy, you may not get an empty seat because they can't clear your name. usually this is last (and I mean last) minute bookings. You can be guarantee not getting a ticket even with the plane empty if you show up at the very last minute, try paying in cash, and your identity is flagged in some security database.

If you do this a lot, work with a travel service who specializes in corportate travel. You need a last minute flight, call them, they book the flight with the airline, and you get a confirmation number, all in the time it takes your cab driver to navigate the departure area to drop you off.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:20 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,154,689 times
What ever you end up paying by doing it that way think about getting that same flight for probably half of what you are paying by walking up at the last minute,you also wont have any guarantees that there is room on the flight.
Definitely an expensive and unreliable way to travel.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:54 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,893,197 times
Lots of times. I have had a client or my boss say, "Drop what you are doing and go to thus-and-such a place," and I just step up to the counter and pay full fare.

If you have an iPad, you can often find good last-minute deals and you don't have to pay full fare; I've even stood in front of the ticket agent, found a much better fare on another airline, and walked away in the middle of the transaction.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:40 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,585,240 times
I did it quite often back in the 70s, when I was a callow youth, footloose and fancy free.
I'd just turn up at Heathrow, or Gatwick, with a passport, drivers licence, razor, toothbrush, and fresh socks and underwear.
I'd check what was available, and would usually end up that evening in a bar in Spain, France, Greece, or Portugal.
It was simple and quick to rent a car at the airport, then scope out a hotel, or apartment rental somewhere.
Anything I needed I'd buy where I landed, shirts, shoes, chinos and a small valise to carry them back home in.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:03 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,282,845 times
They do it a lot on the reality game show, The Amazing Race, though the contestants are given a credit card by the production staff to purchase the tickets, which I would guess are not too cheap. There are a few rules as well, they can only buy coach, so if there is room in only business and/or 1st then they can't buy them and they need to be able to book 4 tickets, two for themselves, and two for the production crew assigned to them which includes a camera guy and sound/mixer guy. If they can't get 4 tickets on the flight, then they have to book a different flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel