U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 12:30 PM

32,079 posts, read 32,980,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I have never checked a bag in my life, even when we went to Europe for 2 weeks. We each had a carry-on. It's not that hard to fit all your belongings in one bag. In fact, you'll find that you actually pack things you need instead of throwing random items that you may or may not use because you have a large suitcase. Something to consider! Here's a great tutorial on how to pack for 10 days in a carry-on.

10 Days in a Carry-On - Slide Show - NYTimes.com
Actually last time I flew overseas with a carry-on, the airline on the way back to the USA forced me to check it in as it was a bit on the heavy side (and this after I told the customer service that the same airline in the USA let me take it on the airplane). Luckily I was not charged being that it was an international flight (outside North America) which usually allows for one free checked in bag/suitcase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 03:35 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,415,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Actually last time I flew overseas with a carry-on, the airline on the way back to the USA forced me to check it in as it was a bit on the heavy side (and this after I told the customer service that the same airline in the USA let me take it on the airplane). Luckily I was not charged being that it was an international flight (outside North America) which usually allows for one free checked in bag/suitcase.
I don't pack much, I have plenty of room leftover usually, even in my carry-on. If I can't lift it, then it's too heavy. We went to Mexico recently and I was able to squeeze 7 bikinis into a gallon ziploc, then let the air out. Took up almost no space!

Old 07-15-2010, 11:12 PM

11,435 posts, read 16,471,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subwayfan View Post
It says here:

Continental Airlines - Checked Baggage Fees

• Continental Airlines Chase primary cardmembers will have their first checked-bag fees automatically waived
Do you have a Chase bank location near you? Maybe you could open up an account and get a debit card. I'd look into it. That's if if you want a way out of the fee.

Or, just fly with carry-on.
I have a Chase accts: checking,savings, mutual funds, credit cards, but not THE Continental Visa card, which is exclusive. I applied for one at the time that I made the reservation, but approval will take too long for me to use it as credit on the flight. I doubt that I'll fly them again. It's bad enough that you have to go through all of the hassle with TSA and then to be ripped off by all of the airline fees and gov't charges. It takes all of the fun out of flying.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:15 AM

32,079 posts, read 32,980,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I don't pack much, I have plenty of room leftover usually, even in my carry-on. If I can't lift it, then it's too heavy. We went to Mexico recently and I was able to squeeze 7 bikinis into a gallon ziploc, then let the air out. Took up almost no space!
I was able to lift my bag. I had to take a lot more clothing than usual as the weather was changing so I had to take warm/hot as well cold weather clothing. I still find it strange that on the same airline in different directions the rules were different. But I guess the local supervisor makes the local policies.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:10 AM

9,830 posts, read 19,577,532 times
I remember when the baggage fees started and it was all about fuel price increases. Now that all that mellowed just like any government does with taxes, they kept the fee.

Personally I think if you buy a ticket it's a reasonable to allow one bag and a carry on. Docking you for $25 for the bag I think is stupid.

The other thing that is happening is people have gone nuts with the carry ons and I related a story here before about one clown that delayed our flight due to his massive carry ons. I've just gotten sick of all these people lugging these massive bags onboard.

Basically sick of flying so the airlines don't get my money and I drive if at all possible.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:26 AM

The only reason they charge for baggage is because it's unethical to charge the ever-widening American based on their body weight. There have been talks, but I doubt people would be willing to step on a scale and pay accordingly. Some of these people are gigantic and can't put the arm rest down, which I personally consider a safety hazard. I doubt this was the issue it is today in 1980!

I constantly hear people say, "OMG, his carry-on is huge and must weigh 70lbs!" But how about, "That passenger is huge and weighs at least 140lbs. more than me!" I think the combined weight of passengers is a bigger issue these days than the weight of carry-ons.

Flame away, I stand by my statements.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:28 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,595,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_bd View Post
But it is so much easier at the security when you check all liquids, toiletries etc.
but how much crap do you really need? Unless you are in the Peace Corp and going to Africa for a year... ALL of my toiletries fit into my 3-1-1 bag, even the stuff that doesn't need to go in there.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:22 PM

2,065 posts, read 4,179,539 times
MAK, I partially agree with you...

What about people who are overweight due to medical conditions or have to carry heavy apparatus (sometimes medical/sometimes not) due to themselves, young children or elderly needs? It is still heavier than the average person, but it is not really fair to overcharge them, what do you think?!

My bags are getting smaller each time companies decide to change their regulations to Lilliputian standards.And I am a light packer.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
MAK, I partially agree with you...

What about people who are overweight due to medical conditions or have to carry heavy apparatus (sometimes medical/sometimes not) due to themselves, young children or elderly needs? It is still heavier than the average person, but it is not really fair to overcharge them, what do you think?!
My sister travels with a 17 month old and any day now, her second will be born, so two under two. She doesn't check bags. The stroller is gate checked (no fee for that) and each one of them has a carry on, toddler included. Since she buys him his own seat and he's not a lap child, he's entitled to one carry-on, just like any other paying customer. She's traveled extensively with him and hasn't encountered these charges, so it can be done. And as far as medical equipment goes, I don't believe you pay for that, though I could be wrong. I know car seats/strollers are gate checked for free.

As far as the overweight debate, I am more than willing to bet that 90% of the people are overweight due to lifestyle choices, not medical reasons or genetics. I find it hard to believe that all of a sudden now so many kids and adults are giant whereas even in the early 90s this wasn't such a huge (no pun intended) issue. This is a more likely reason for obesity, not genetics.

Food Consumption in America |

I'll say this much, I recently did a genetic test on me because I was curious to see what I can dig up. According to my test results, I have a 67% chance of becoming obese. So, I am genetically predisposed to be fat yet I am nowhere near that due to my lifestyle and diet habits. I actually have the medical proof whereas most who say it's genetics are just saying it without valid proof. They actually said in the results that while it's a high percentage, your lifestyle and diet habits determine your fate in the end, which I thought was really cool since most are so quick to blame genetics.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:09 PM

2,065 posts, read 4,179,539 times
You have a point, I understand, I just don't think it is fair to charge extra from people who really have no say regarding their excess weight, whether it is actually in their bodies or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or