U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 10:39 AM

11,951 posts, read 21,539,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post

Wheelsup, I think you're right that this carry-on charge thing might be a tempest in a teapot, and perhaps the media has fanned those flames.
Here is an article from the Wall Street Journal:

Quote:
Lawmakers Consider Taxing Airlines' Fees - WSJ.com

Spirit Airlines Inc. President Ben Baldanza defended the "a la carte" fee model, saying it gives passengers a choice of what services to pay for.

Taxing the fee revenue would hurt industry and consumers, he said. "Such taxes would surely harm competition, raise costs and slow the industry's recovery from a decade of losses," he said.

He added the ancillary fees shouldn't be taxed because such services "do not use the infrastructure that the tax is intended to pay for."
If you read what was stated as it was written, taken from the local news stations slanted article (OP):

Quote:
"We are certain that Spirit's decision to unbundle services not essential to the transportation of passengers, has enabled more passengers to fly at lower cost,"
He's referencing the transportation of them, NOWHERE did he say that bags aren't essential for vacations, which was the TITLE of the article. If I were Spirit I'd be suing the news station! Or at least asking for an interview that must be aired for a given time afterward to repair the damage they did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 02:18 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,242,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Here is an article from the Wall Street Journal:

If you read what was stated as it was written, taken from the local news stations slanted article (OP):

He's referencing the transportation of them, NOWHERE did he say that bags aren't essential for vacations, which was the TITLE of the article. If I were Spirit I'd be suing the news station! Or at least asking for an interview that must be aired for a given time afterward to repair the damage they did.

I agree, and I like their service! It allows them to charge cheaper tickets and people like me who can get away with traveling light benefit greatly.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:10 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,925,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post

I wonder if either SWA or Spirit ever think about international routes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I flew spirit and didn't have any complaints.. but thats because I had such a cheap flight. I did think it was odd that an international flight didnt even serve a dinner though haha. I was treated well and the flight attendants knew i was hungry and brought me extra food. Very comfortable seats in my opinion.
Duh, I just read Burgler's post, looked at Spirit's website and answered my own question, Spirit does fly to the Caribbean and Central/South America.
I guess it depends on where you're traveling from, but I know I'd probably get hungry--but we have learned to adapt to that situation.

Thanks for sharing, Wheelsup. I see where you are coming from.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:11 PM

3,644 posts, read 5,562,334 times
Spirit Airlines sucks the big one. I KNEW their seats had less room between the rows and that article confirmed it. My knees hit dug in to the seat in front of me and that had never happened before. Now they are going to put in seats that don't recline. Who would want to endure that? Now that I live ina city that is serviced by SouthWest Airlines I am looking forward to trying them out. No matter what I would never fly Spirit again. Terrible service too!

Old 10-08-2010, 05:24 AM

12,300 posts, read 15,202,635 times
I don't like Spirit's plan to charge for carry on luggage but have no problem with fees for checked baggage. I rarely have checked baggage and agree why should passengers not checking baggage subsidize those who do. One writer predicted, back in 1980, that by 2000 airlines would no longer handle checked baggage. Fees have likely reduced the packing of "excess baggage." But not entirely. I took a 5-day trip and still had clothing in my carry-on I had not worn.

Last edited by pvande55; 10-08-2010 at 05:25 AM.. Reason: drop redundant terms

Old 10-08-2010, 09:49 PM

38,877 posts, read 20,171,745 times
That's creeeeepy .........

Old 10-09-2010, 08:05 AM

737 posts, read 2,249,498 times
Just curious and ignorant about this subject, but do they make more money handling some type of cargo since there are fewer checked bags? You know, do they handle mail or something commercial that makes sense to discourage checked bags from their passengers? I realize it is a bit off topic but reading this thread just made me wonder what they do w/the extra space in cargo?

Old 10-10-2010, 12:21 PM

12,300 posts, read 15,202,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBeachFL View Post
Just curious and ignorant about this subject, but do they make more money handling some type of cargo since there are fewer checked bags? You know, do they handle mail or something commercial that makes sense to discourage checked bags from their passengers? I realize it is a bit off topic but reading this thread just made me wonder what they do w/the extra space in cargo?
That could be. They may not make much on air freight, but it has to be better than carrying passengers' bags for free. Every pound uses more fuel; flight attendants have to adhere to strict weight limits. I believe the practice of handling baggage at no extra charge is a holdover from when air travel was a luxury for the affluent.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:38 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,607,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I don't like Spirit's plan to charge for carry on luggage but have no problem with fees for checked baggage. I rarely have checked baggage and agree why should passengers not checking baggage subsidize those who do. One writer predicted, back in 1980, that by 2000 airlines would no longer handle checked baggage. Fees have likely reduced the packing of "excess baggage." But not entirely. I took a 5-day trip and still had clothing in my carry-on I had not worn.
I usually just carry on as well, although my status with my airline of choice allows for two free checked bags, plus a roll on. Where it comes in handy is when I'm headed to a trade show with marketing materials and a pop up display. Yup--the liesure travelers are footing the bill for that, although my weekly flights are what keep their transportation costs artificially low.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:38 PM

12,256 posts, read 16,210,403 times
I've traveled with spirit with my son back and forth to NJ several times. Too avoid the fees I packed two small bags (one for each of us) and we just rolled everything. I only took 1 other pair of shoes and purchased travel size toiletries once we got there. If we ever decide to fly Spirit in the future and need more clothes I might just ship them wherever we're going...most hotels will allow it if you call in advance and let them know. It sure makes things easier at the airport when you have no baggage :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or