U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 12:14 PM

188 posts, read 170,869 times

Advertisements

Browse City-Data Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 01:53 PM

8,927 posts, read 13,686,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Some of the only times that I am bored are when I am on vacation. Cruises are boring. I don't like amusement parks. Vacations often mean lines, over priced meals, unmet expectations, travel hassles, overeating, mosquito bites, and sleep deprivation. I don't like to go anywhere where there is no broadband.
Sounds like you need to get away from tourist traps and find somewhere small and unique to go. I recommend someplace like New Hope, PA - a small, quaint little town on the Delaware river with lots of interesting shops and restaurants. You'll probably find free wifi somewhere and it's populated enough that you're not out in boonies but small enough that it's not overcrowded. There's a lot of other beautiful or interesting places in the area I could recommend as well which are not overrun by tourists. You will get mosquitos but not like you would in the caribbean, if that's what you mean.

PA might be a bit far for you though because I recommend you find places in driving distance so you don't have to deal with the hassle of air travel. I see your in Alabama so I would look for a quaint southern country home B&B (that has wifi). Wherever you go, just remember that no one ever said vacation HAS to be about going to a massive and popular tourist spot.

Then again, maybe you're just a homebody - that's just not something I've ever really understood.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:52 PM

34,707 posts, read 33,724,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
and waiting for your next trip but it's going to be at least a year before you can go anywhere again and you're dreaming in Spanish and. . .

So what do you do?
1. Find out everything there is to know about your destination. Do Internet research about the town, state, country.

2. Read travel books (I like the Moon Handbooks, myself).

3. Go to YouTube and watch videos about the place you will be visiting and the attractions there.

4. Plan your days. I don't mean on Monday you will do this and on Tuesday you will do that but on one day you will do A, B and C and on another day you will do D, E and F and that will be determined by what is close to each other of the things you want to see/do. Find out if anything you want to do requires a reservation. Find out if the cost is cheaper on some days of the week as opposed to others or it's cheaper to do it at night vs the daytime or vice versa.

5. Research restaurants near the places you will visit. Look at their online menus. What do other travelers have to say about them?

6. Visit the official travel and tourism site for the location you will visit and get the annual catalogue/brochure/magazine for the location or download it if it is available on line. Sign up for e-mail news if that is an option. Check the EVENTS page as you get closer to your trip to find out if any special events will be going on when you visit. Then do a web search on the event.

7. Think about what you may have to purchase (clothes, luggage, toiletries, etc.) and do some virtual shopping to see what's available online.

8. Do a Google Image search and look at photos of your destination.

9. Create a Favorites Folder called Trip 2011 and save the website links, related to your trip, that interest you.

10. If it's a driving trip, visit Mapquest and find out how long it will take you to get where you are going without stops. Print the driving directions if you don't have GPS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel