U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 03:57 PM

9,597 posts, read 17,179,613 times

Advertisements

and waiting for your next trip but it's going to be at least a year before you can go anywhere again and you're dreaming in Spanish and. . .

1. Write a letter and put it into one of those internet translator machines and turn it into Turkish or something, and then back into English. Very entertaining. Don't do google--it's too good but still kind of funny.

2. Peruse the volunteer and wwoof websites and try to figure out how to travel for free so you can go back sooner.

3. Try to tell your kids that college isn't really that important and that travel experiences would do them more good. (JK!)

So what do you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 05:00 PM

26,346 posts, read 83,008,856 times
Some of the only times that I am bored are when I am on vacation. Cruises are boring. I don't like amusement parks. Vacations often mean lines, over priced meals, unmet expectations, travel hassles, overeating, mosquito bites, and sleep deprivation. I don't like to go anywhere where there is no broadband.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Some of the only times that I am bored are when I am on vacation. Cruises are boring. I don't like amusement parks. Vacations often mean lines, over priced meals, unmet expectations, travel hassles, overeating, mosquito bites, and sleep deprivation. I don't like to go anywhere where there is no broadband.
I don't do cruises or amusement parks either. You've got to drop the Frommers and get a Rough Guide or something. Oh, and the only country that I've failed to lose weight in was Turkey b/c the food was too good. Otherwise, all the walking allowed me to eat almost as much as I wanted, lol. Overpriced meals? Stay out of the tourist restaurants, which ususally aren't that great b/c they know they'll never see you again anyway, and ask a local for a recommendation.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:05 AM

13,293 posts, read 12,797,161 times
Google Maps

Old 07-18-2010, 10:07 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,922,343 times
Good idea, Filihok.
I know how you feel, Stepka.
Our youngest will be graduating from college in 2011, that will help a bit.
I like to look at maps (even though I can barely read them) and there's always travel literature.
I enjoyed Paul Theroux's "The Pillars of Hercules" a few months ago. It was kind of dated (written during the Balkan war), but in a way that made it more interesting.
Also I watch a lot of foreign movies and documentaries.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:08 AM

16,411 posts, read 26,238,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
and waiting for your next trip but it's going to be at least a year before you can go anywhere again and you're dreaming in Spanish and. . .

1. Write a letter and put it into one of those internet translator machines and turn it into Turkish or something, and then back into English. Very entertaining. Don't do google--it's too good but still kind of funny.

2. Peruse the volunteer and wwoof websites and try to figure out how to travel for free so you can go back sooner.

3. Try to tell your kids that college isn't really that important and that travel experiences would do them more good. (JK!)

So what do you do?

Drink with friends and work.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Oh yeah, love maps. You'll like this site then: Dark Roasted Blend: Unusual and Marvelous Maps
and this: Dark Roasted Blend: Unusual and Marvelous Maps, Part 2 My favorite one is "The road to success." The whole website is great anyway.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:47 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,487,261 times
Default What do you do when you're bored. . .

Count my blessings!

Old 07-18-2010, 07:46 PM

10 posts, read 14,616 times
When Im bored, I usually surf the net join social networking and chat with friends then write blogs. Sometimes I'll watch movie or go out with my boyfriend and stroll around teh mall.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:00 PM

Okay, I may as well print off the letters that inspired this post. I recently wrote a letter to a hotel that we stayed at in Peru, so this is a real letter. I put it thru the Spanish translator tool (not google) and then I turned it back into English to see what came out. These were the letters:
Quote:
Dear Senor or Senora, I am writing again about my daughter's camera. *We have not heard from you and it would have been nice if you would have let us know. *We have done a lot of thinking and we are quite sure that the camera was stolen from our luggage when the bags were in storage on the day that we left your hotel. *Our bags were only in storage for about 30 minutes, but in that time the camera got stolen. *When we came back to pick up our luggage, the door to the storage room was not locked. *We would really like to get the camera back. *We found the name of your hotel in a highly respected guidebook and we will be writing to inform them of the situation and about the unlocked storage room. *My daughter was very upset about her camera because it was a graduation gift from her father and because she had already taken a lot of pictures with it, and all of those are lost forever.
Quote:
Dear Sir or Lady, I a.m. writing again about my daughter' s double bed. We have not heard from you and it would have been Nice if you would have let U.S. know. We have donates to lot of thinking and we plows clears sure that the double bed from stolen from our luggage when the bags were in storage on the day that we left your hotel. For Our bags were only in storage about 30 you make a draft, but in that Time the double bed got stolen. When we Comecon back to pick up our luggage, the door to the storage room was not locked. We would really like to get the double bed back, but I doubt that we will. We found the yam of your hotel in a highly respected guidebook and we will sees writing to inform them of the situation and about the unlocked storage room. My to daughter was very upset about to her double bed because it was to graduation gift from to her to father and because she had already taken to lot of pictures with it, and all of those plows lost to forever.
From now on I'll just use google translator. It's funny though, isn't it? The letter I mean, not the fact that my daughter's camera got stolen. OH yeah, and here is the google translated version:
Quote:
Dear Sir or Madam: I am writing again about my daughter's camera. We have not heard from you and would have been nice if he let us know. We have done a lot of ideas and we are quite sure that the camera stolen from our luggage when the bags are in storage on the day we left the hotel. Our bags just in storage for about 30 minutes, but at the time the camera was stolen. When we returned to pick up our luggage, the gate of the storage room was not locked. We would like to get the camera back, but I doubt we will. We found the name of your hotel in a highly respected guide and we will be writing to inform them of the situation and the release storage. My daughter was very upset about the camera because it was a graduation gift from his father and because she had already had a bunch of pictures with her, and all have been lost forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel