U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 02:30 AM

333 posts, read 893,680 times

Advertisements

Whenever I've been traveling overseas to visit my bf, I've gone on Quantas each time. I'll most likely be going back after the beginning of the new year. The problem is the Quantas tickets are so high this time. Around $1700, whereas the United Airlines is around $1200-$1300, and U.S. Airways is around $1400. I'd still like to go on Quantas if I could but it doesn't look like those prices are gonna change around the timeline I'm thinking of going. I've read reviews on United and a-lot of people aren't happy with it, one being that it's cramped and has no tv's for entertainment, and that they charge you for everything they can. U.S. Airways has mixed reviews depending on where you're going. Specifically, I'll be going to Australia, so if anyone can tell me if I have to choose between these two airlines, which one is the best? As it could vary with what country the airline is flying to.Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 06:48 AM

1,854 posts, read 8,746,060 times
I can add two absolute facts for you. Its spelled USAirways, and they don't fly to Australia. They code share in the Star Alliance. You would still be on a plane operated by United Airlines.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:17 AM

15,352 posts, read 27,553,762 times
You can't go wrong with any of them. Book the one that works best for you all things considered. Have a great trip!

Old 07-18-2010, 07:53 AM

10,425 posts, read 8,789,544 times
Airlines are in the process of being "de facto" re-regulated. Not by the gov. but via Oligopolistic practices of fewer and fewer carriers.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Airlines are in the process of being "de facto" re-regulated. Not by the gov. but via Oligopolistic practices of fewer and fewer carriers.
Are they doing this to get rid of planes altogether one day? If so, how would people travel to other countries anymore?

Old 07-18-2010, 10:01 AM

16,411 posts, read 26,250,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaygirl05 View Post
Are they doing this to get rid of planes altogether one day? If so, how would people travel to other countries anymore?
Fewer and fewer carriers in terms of less companies (all of the merges). Airplanes are not going anywhere lol.

My word of advice, go with the cheapest flight because either way you will be stuck in an uncomfortable seat for a very long time.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Fewer and fewer carriers in terms of less companies (all of the merges). Airplanes are not going anywhere lol.

My word of advice, go with the cheapest flight because either way you will be stuck in an uncomfortable seat for a very long time.
Ah kk, that kinda sucks. I'm guessing it's because of the economy. Will do, I'm still working out the cheapest flights atm. Reason I was asking about airlines is because I've only been on Quantas and wasn't sure how good the others were. My bf's going to come in for Christmas, and I'm either going to go back with him when he leaves, or go there a month or two after, and prices definitely vary around Christmas which is always a pain. Definitely wanting cheap flights though, because we've already spent enough on the trips in the past, and hopefully these will be the last two.

P.S. I assumed at some point planes won't be around, mostly because of running out of fossil fuel. As long as they realize they'll have to start using other resources for gas yea they'll be around forever.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:20 AM

16,411 posts, read 26,250,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaygirl05 View Post
Ah kk, that kinda sucks. I'm guessing it's because of the economy. Will do, I'm still working out the cheapest flights atm. Reason I was asking about airlines is because I've only been on Quantas and wasn't sure how good the others were. My bf's going to come in for Christmas, and I'm either going to go back with him when he leaves, or go there a month or two after, and prices definitely vary around Christmas which is always a pain. Definitely wanting cheap flights though, because we've already spent enough on the trips in the past, and hopefully these will be the last two.
If you think you will find a good deal around christmas you are crazy. Buy early because unless you are flying on christmas day prices will only go up.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:25 AM

11,952 posts, read 21,551,652 times
Quote:

This is why there are less and less airlines. The airlines as a whole do NOT make money, in fact they lose it on the average, and have to continue cutting costs and services. Passengers on the whole are unwilling to pay for service.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
If you think you will find a good deal around christmas you are crazy. Buy early because unless you are flying on christmas day prices will only go up.
Pfft no, I never said I'd find a "good" deal for Christmas, as I know this from the Christmas prior to this one I went to Australia and I had to get one for November 23rd because as soon as you left after Thanksgiving and anywhere in December the price was already in the $2,000's. Since I left before Thanksgiving my ticket was around $1400. Heaps difference. He's not gonna come in THAT close to Christmas either. He'll be coming in a few weeks prior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or