U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 12:38 PM

6,652 posts, read 18,670,918 times

Advertisements

Vacations for me are not always the best time when it comes down to comfort and sleeping.

Guess I'm an oddball in that I'm partial to my own bed...probably spoiled.

Have been to beach resorts and their nice hotels.

Honeymooned in Acapulco...time in different hotels in Mexico City...La Paz...Mazatlan...Hermosillo...Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo...but wait, you say they are all in Mexico. Yes , they are. Hotels are hotels in my book...no matter where they may be.

Spent time in US hotels also...no difference as it all comes down to comfort and sleeping.

With me...the smell sometimes of disinfectant and a odor that will vary hotel from hotel. Sure...bedding is changed but still have a difficult time in getting a comfortable nights sleep. On thing I never thought of untill this moment is that I could have taken my own air deodorant spray with me to give the room a fresh air smell. Suppose you could call me picky picky.

I've had a similiar problem sleeping even when visiting the homes of relatives...the beds are different. Same when staying at my parents house many yrs after leaving home and getting married.

Coming home from the military service in Korea (single then) slept in my old bed but was uncomfortable and ended up sleeping on the floor for the first month home. Of course I had been sleeping in combat conditions so had to readjust my routine.

Jumping here a little...down to my original thoughts...is VACATION sleeping in a strange bed good or bad for some of you in C-D. I'm all ears.

Steve

Whats the solution? any ideas or good thoughts in past experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 01:21 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,850,813 times
I travel a lot and sleeping can be an important thing. I slept in everything from luxuary beds to flea bags.
On vacations, the bed is less for sleeping and more for entertainment, so I guess it's never been something I would dwell on enough to ruin my vacation. I have more important things to worry about like, what was her name? How to hide the food stains before checkout? Beach party or club party? If vacation spot is right, the bed doesn't overcome the place. I have too much to enjoy and unless the bed is bad or stinky, it's not worth the worry.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:34 PM

8,897 posts, read 13,651,876 times
I don't love sleeping in different beds - whenever I get home I always sigh with comfort and relief when I get in my own bed again. But it doesn't bother me enough to discourage me from traveling or visiting other people.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:46 PM

19,504 posts, read 17,748,691 times
I have no problem sleeping in beds at B&B's but I absolutely hate hotel beds.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:47 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,224,622 times
ive been in 5 star to a 5 dollar/night hostel.. makes absolutely no difference to me in terms of falling asleep, but I definitely feel a lot better about myself in the high class hotels!

Old 07-19-2010, 10:11 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,977,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
sleeping in a strange bed good or bad for some of you
Depends who is in it with you.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:15 PM

2,369 posts, read 7,760,109 times
This thread topic rings true with me too. Most hotel mattresses in the US are too soft and cushy for my comfort. Most hotels have put in beds with thick pillow top covers built into the top of the mattress, and it feels like I sink way down in the bed. Holiday Inn Express have somewhat more firm beds, but Hampton Inn is too soft. Some hotel chains don't have a "standard bed", you get a different type bed so you will never know what come with the room.

Other things I don't like about most hotels in the US: If it is real hot or real cold, the AC or heat unit is often some noisy thing that makes a loud hum. Can't stand that. I even have to go unplug the refrigerator that most hotel rooms have because I don't like the humming noise from the fridge.

Why are so many hotels located almost right on top of major interstate highways? Yeah, I know that they want motorists to see them. But just a few signs near highway exits will direct people a block or two away from the interstate to find a less noisy hotel.

I sleep better on camping trips than in most hotels. When camping, I bring along my REI 3 1/2" thick self inflating mattress and a couple of rectangular sleeping bags. The camp mattress on the tent floor is just perfect firmness, and I put one sleeping bag over the mattress and sleep on top of it, and use the other sleeping bag on top of me for keeping warm. And the campgrounds are usually not right next to an interstate highway.

I am tempted to buy a Chevy plain cargo van (used) and convert it into a home made simple travel vehicle that I can sleep in, with my own bed inside. I don't want it to look like an "RV". Just a simple van with a 2 windows that can slide open (with screens and curtains) and enough room for a bed, ice chest, clothes and camp cooking gear. It would be so plain looking that it would be OK to park in a lot of places and not attract any attention.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:25 PM

13,161 posts, read 20,780,088 times
I prefer a firm mattress, but that doesn't affect the quality of my sleep as much as the pillows do. So, I take my own, everywhere. It's easy to pack in a suitcase with those travel bags that allow you to remove the air.

We had to stay in a Holiday Inn Express recently for a college orientation, and the pillows on the bed were embroidered with "firm" and "soft". Both were exactly the same, lousy!

Old 07-20-2010, 11:40 AM

9,593 posts, read 17,168,542 times
I've always had a hard time sleeping in strange places but I love to travel so I've had to make some adjustments. Odors don't bother me unless it's really icky like sewage smell from a bathroom in which case I close the door to it. I had that situation in Peru recently. You might bring a scented sleep pillow or some people like lavender sachets.

If I get too cold I have a hard time sleeping so I bring wool socks on trips with me and that makes a huge difference at times--I can get warm if my feet are. They have to be wool though.

Earplugs are a must. Those little foam ones are a pain in the butt though, so I went out the other day and bought some silicone ones. You roll them into a ball and put them on your ear--not in it, if that makes any sense and they really do block out a lot of sound, so I'm pretty sure they'll work. Some people get specially fitted ones and I may do that if I'm not happy with the silicone ones. I'm going to camp in a couple of weeks so I'll come back and let you all know. Camp is where I've always had the hardest time sleeping for some reason and earplugs make all the difference.

Oh yes, and I'd never sleep if i didn't do the bedbug check first. There's a thread floating around about that, or google it, b/c you should always do that before sleeping in a strange bed.

. . . and some people like to bring their own pillow. Maybe you could try that--it has a familiar smell to it.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:10 PM

25,668 posts, read 24,298,688 times
Ive been in beds as nice as the Red Roof Inn all the way to Super 8 hotels (on my trips, of course!) , and as the other poster stated, as long as I can sleep through the night its all good. Only one hotel I stayed at in Lawton OK about 5 years ago and was not impressed with, but that was only because it was close to the event we were attending at the time. In the middle of hooker territory, some flea bag place where people were coming and going all night, little did I know this ahead of time....
Point being was that for me a bed is a bed. As long as theres a coffeemaker in the room its good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or