Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 11:58 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,807,431 times

Advertisements

This reminds me of former flights when the stewardess or another passenger would ask me "would you mind..." which actually meant something like "would you mind inconveniencing yourself for whatever reason so that I can have a more comfortable/pleasant trip?" and I would say "No problem..."

Now after experiencing so many people blatantly asking for things that would completely inconvenience me (change - most, not all - seats/change baggage place/etc.) I will just say "Sorry, no."

I am absolutely for kindness, but why in the world would one put my bags over the last seat so that backpacker-size bag will fit conveniently over his head and I will have to wait several minutes until someone hands me my bag by the end of the flight? Or change seats so that I have to squeeze and the other passenger has more room?

Flyer's pet peeves, so many times discussed here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 12:12 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,299,703 times
What I personnally can't understand is how people manage to take huge luggage into the cabin - I mean, isnt the size of cabin baggage limited? That's the first rule that should be respected: your bag is too big, it has to be checked in. Period. Unfortunately, these rules are not respected, and that's a shame.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:22 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,643,111 times
Fly FIRST Class and none of this is a concern!

Old 07-22-2010, 12:44 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,299,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Fly FIRST Class and none of this is a concern!
Don't you think that if people could afford first class they would choose it? unfortunately, most people can't... I honestly wish we could, but we can't! We deal with it, still it's not easy when other passengers are disrespectful...

Old 07-22-2010, 12:47 PM

13,384 posts, read 28,660,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
What I personnally can't understand is how people manage to take huge luggage into the cabin - I mean, isnt the size of cabin baggage limited? That's the first rule that should be respected: your bag is too big, it has to be checked in. Period. Unfortunately, these rules are not respected, and that's a shame.
That's it in a nutshell the airlines need to start to enforce the carry on size rules but most don't

Old 07-22-2010, 02:25 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,265,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
That's it in a nutshell the airlines need to start to enforce the carry on size rules but most don't
Unfortunately, by the time the people get to their gate, it is too late. Security officials should not allow people with gigantic bags to pass through. I understand that's not their job, but that's the only way to stop this nonsense. There was a guy with 3 huge bags on one of our last flights...a duffel bag, a huge backpack and a rolling carry-on. He bragged on board how security let him through without any issues and took up a lot of overhead space just for himself.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:14 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,807,431 times
Wasn't there a little device by the airline counters that said something like "carry-on overhead compartment bags must fit in here" where you had to try your bags to see if they would fit/not exceed reasonable space?! I used to see them but haven't seen them in a while...

Other than that you could only carry a small item such as a purse or a laptop.

I had to measure my bags in those in more than one flight, but never had any issues. Many people I see flying would not go through, I believe.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:19 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,955,366 times
TSA should not be the size police (and a lawsuit by CO againts UA) makes sure of that. What I;d like to see is if someone brings a bag to big for the plane, They stop it Gate Check it at Twice the normal fee, and it Does not go on that flight it Goes on the next one (but security rule wont allow that). so tag it for last on the bag pickup in arrivals,

Old 07-22-2010, 04:28 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,265,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
TSA should not be the size police (and a lawsuit by CO againts UA) makes sure of that. What I;d like to see is if someone brings a bag to big for the plane, They stop it Gate Check it at Twice the normal fee, and it Does not go on that flight it Goes on the next one (but security rule wont allow that). so tag it for last on the bag pickup in arrivals,
Or mysteriously lose it and it reappears after their vacation!

Old 07-22-2010, 04:30 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,590,355 times
Considering the way we all get nickeled and dimed to death to get on a plane I think it should either be the responsibility of the person checking boarding passes or the FA to make sure any bag larger than allowed is gate checked. Heck, hire someone to check bags at the end of the ramp.

Once I saw a woman arguing with the person at the check in counter about the size of her bag. It escalated to the point that the pilot came out to mediate and he let the bag go on board. Dude needs to grow some...

It's time for the Feds to regulate the industry again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel