Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 02:35 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Good suggestion. The the railway offers lodging, cafe's and pub's on both ends of the route and you can access the rest of the canyon via the regularly scheduled shuttle busses, which run around the south rim until September (I think).

And, you MUST see this:

http://chcidoameriky.cz/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/grand-canyon-skywalk.jpg (broken link)

It has a glass floor!!
While I was initially intrigued by the Skywalk I am curious if anyone has seen this and what you may have thought as I am now under the impression that the site does not quite live up to it's marketing hype...

Skywalk at the Grand Canyon - DesertUSA
  1. The project is unpopular with environmentalists.
  2. It a long drive from anywhere (three hours from Las Vegas, five hours from the South Rim Visitor's Center).
  3. The last 15 miles are bumpy and unpaved.
  4. The views are not as spectacular as those in Grand Canyon National Park.
  5. It is expensive.
  6. Cameras are not permitted on the Skywalk.
  7. Tourists are advised to bring sun protection (hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen) because the wait on the line is long and the summer heat, intense.
  8. It is a work in progress and resembles a construction site.
From another site (Grand Canyon Skywalk is a sham!) regarding possible last minute closures..."The authorities may close the Skywalk on a slight chance of high wind or rain, and visitors who make it up to the Skywalk parking area, after driving through the dirt road, are NOT informed that the Skywalk will be closed and are still issued tickets. Upon reaching the Skywalk, they are informed that they will have to wait until the winds have died down or the rains have stopped. No refunds!"

Negative reviews of course need to be taken with a grain of salt and I realize many people may have found this to be a worthwhile experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 03:11 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
While I was initially intrigued by the Skywalk I am curious if anyone has seen this and what you may have thought as I am now under the impression that the site does not quite live up to it's marketing hype...

2. It a long drive from anywhere (three hours from Las Vegas, five hours from the South Rim Visitor's Center).
  5. It is expensive.
  7. Tourists are advised to bring sun protection (hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen) because the wait on the line is long and the summer heat, intense.
From another site (Grand Canyon Skywalk is a sham!) regarding possible last minute closures..."The authorities may close the Skywalk on a slight chance of high wind or rain, and visitors who make it up to the Skywalk parking area, after driving through the dirt road, are NOT informed that the Skywalk will be closed and are still issued tickets. Upon reaching the Skywalk, they are informed that they will have to wait until the winds have died down or the rains have stopped. No refunds!"

Negative reviews of course need to be taken with a grain of salt and I realize many people may have found this to be a worthwhile experience.

You're right. A little research reveals that this might not be worth the effort!

Not only is it a long way from the rest of the South Rim attractions, it costs $32.05 just to walk out on the damn thing and no cameras are allowed!

Screw that.

Grand Canyon Skywalk - Walk The Sky - Home

Old 07-25-2010, 03:21 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
In an effort to preserve the glass, cameras aren't allowed? What a joke! So you drive down a dirt road to get there, pay money to see the canyon from one vantage point and can't take pictures of it? Yea, if I were the OP, I'd definitely stick to the South Rim!

ETA: It's $32 per person!! What a ripoff! You pay by the car to enter the actual park at the South Rim and they aren't closed half the year!

Old 07-26-2010, 07:39 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,220,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Both sides of the canyon are fantastic, but I really like the North Rim much better. Very beautiful up there and just better.
Agreed. Of all the visitors to the Canyon, only an estimated 10% visit the North Rim. A thousand feet higher in elevation and much harder to get to without planning, its remoteness is part of the charm, imo. Best time to visit is late May-mid June after the snowmelt and clear road but before the summer tourist season, and again mid Sept-early Oct before the snows and after the summer crowds are gone. Good weather both of these times, light crowds, and always great scenery any time of year at the North Rim.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:11 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,103 times
Remember that movie with Chevy Chase....Vacation? Where they drove FOREVER to get to the theme park and it was closed?

Well, I took my kids to the Grand Canyon a few years back and it was CLOSED!

They have a weird calendar....I think we went during spring break but they don't open the road until end of May/June.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:36 AM

71 posts, read 164,209 times
Thanks for all the posts. I'm not sure about who is all going at this point. Definitely me and my husband and possibly my son, his girlfriend and maybe my daughter and a boyfriend. My daughter is the youngest at 19. I would love to either to plane or helicopter plus the rafting. What is the best month to go weather wise? I'm guessing summer is excruciatingly hot?

Old 07-27-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunette49 View Post
Thanks for all the posts. I'm not sure about who is all going at this point. Definitely me and my husband and possibly my son, his girlfriend and maybe my daughter and a boyfriend. My daughter is the youngest at 19. I would love to either to plane or helicopter plus the rafting. What is the best month to go weather wise? I'm guessing summer is excruciatingly hot?
Believe the number of rafting outfitters allowed is strictly controlled which results in a limited number of outfitters on the river at any one time. I've heard some of the more desireable trips/routes need to be booked a year or more in advance. Sounds like these are the trip of a lifetime adventures and worth planning for.

On another note, I don't think I've ever seen or heard of another National Park that has so many deaths occurring on a regular basis. Surprisingly enough the majority of these are falls (often related to photography attempts) and usually the recovery process takes days, often with the body readily visible down below. The link is from the Park Service Web Site and each year seems to be a copy of the year before...

http://www.nps.gov/grca/parknews/newsreleases.htm

Old 07-28-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Believe the number of rafting outfitters allowed is strictly controlled which results in a limited number of outfitters on the river at any one time. I've heard some of the more desireable trips/routes need to be booked a year or more in advance. Sounds like these are the trip of a lifetime adventures and worth planning for.

On another note, I don't think I've ever seen or heard of another National Park that has so many deaths occurring on a regular basis. Surprisingly enough the majority of these are falls (often related to photography attempts) and usually the recovery process takes days, often with the body readily visible down below. The link is from the Park Service Web Site and each year seems to be a copy of the year before...

Grand Canyon National Park - News Releases (U.S. National Park Service)
Holy Shi@t!! Never thought about that! What a way to go.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:

5. It is expensive.

Why would cameras not be permitted on the skywalk?

Old 07-28-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunette49 View Post
Why would cameras not be permitted on the skywalk?
The official position from the operator appears to be to prevent a dropped camera from damaging the glass. It does appear that they will take your picture for you for $15.

Good book detailing some of the more interesting deaths occuring in the Grand Canyon...
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/395724.Over_the_Edge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel