U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 09:18 PM

5,690 posts, read 8,599,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
People have no patience on a flight and are too quick to get annoyed by the smallest thing like a seat reclining all of a few inches into their space. News flash: the personal space you're given on a flight is small and it's the same for everyone else unless you pay for business class or an extra seat - either get over it or don't fly.
+1

absolutely, it is a damn tube...what do these people expect, a reclining couch for the price they are paying? One should be thankful that we are living in an age where we can get half way around the world in just several hours for such a small price. People are just too spoiled these days and need reality checks. My theory is that these people who are complaining just are first time travelers who have never been on an airplane before.

Reclining seats don't bother me, if the guy in front of me reclines, I just recline as well and the guy behind me will do the same..problem solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 10:17 PM

38,854 posts, read 20,166,672 times
It would be nice if passengers could hold off on the gassy foods prior to the flight. During my last flight home from a brief trip, I was having challenges dealing with the stink bombs that the passenger in front of me was shooting off throughout the flight. I desperately needed OXYGEN badly!

Old 07-24-2010, 08:47 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,415,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post

Reclining seats don't bother me, if the guy in front of me reclines, I just recline as well and the guy behind me will do the same..problem solved.
Problem solved...until you reach the emergency exit rows or the last seat on the plane, which do not recline. Problem not solved.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:59 AM

5,690 posts, read 8,599,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Problem solved...until you reach the emergency exit rows or the last seat on the plane, which do not recline. Problem not solved.
well, that's why I try to book well in advance and also check in early to get the seats I want. Of course, if one waltzes in at the 11th hour then they are stuck with seats that don't recline.

People are going to recline their seats, it's a reasonable expectation. They have a recline button so it's within their right to recline. If a passenger was not supposed to recline then there would not be a button to do that.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:58 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,991,339 times
Quote:
well, that's why I try to book well in advance and also check in early to get the seats I want. Of course, if one waltzes in at the 11th hour then they are stuck with seats that don't recline.
I always get to the airport 90-120 minutes prior to departure and generally board the plane early. I get an aisle seat which is generally necessary for me to be comfortable. There is always a family of eight who has arrived five minutes before the doors close and expects to be seated together. Then the FA wants me to move to a middle seat to accommodate their wishes. NO WAY!

Old 07-24-2010, 04:45 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,415,221 times
Quote:
It's not always possible to book in advance. You assume everyone is traveling for pleasure. I had a very ill family member back in Poland this past January and had 2 days notice to get there. On my way there, he died so we never even made it to see him. I had to book that flight with only 2 days notice, it's not like anyone was expecting him to get sick and especially die so we never planned on going to Europe, especially in the dead of winter. Not everyone that travels does so for pleasure.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:04 PM

9,595 posts, read 17,176,886 times
Quote:
+1

absolutely, it is a damn tube...what do these people expect, a reclining couch for the price they are paying? One should be thankful that we are living in an age where we can get half way around the world in just several hours for such a small price. People are just too spoiled these days and need reality checks. My theory is that these people who are complaining just are first time travelers who have never been on an airplane before.

I totally agree. We are all so spoiled--if we actually had to travel on the Mayflower we would just die. Imagine that plane seat for weeks and rancid meat and weevilly ship biscuits rather than the almost acceptable stuff they serve. And then imagine that 2 weeks into the flight the lady next to you has a baby and you have to help her to deliver it and then she and/or the baby dies. And the toilets? Well let's not even go there. Ah the joy of being a reader.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:41 PM

5,421 posts, read 7,890,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
It would be nice if passengers could hold off on the gassy foods prior to the flight. During my last flight home from a brief trip, I was having challenges dealing with the stink bombs that the passenger in front of me was shooting off throughout the flight. I desperately needed OXYGEN badly!
Oh, do I have a stroy for THAT.

I was on a plane flight once (not going to name the airline) seated on the window seat. The seat that gets the least air. In front of me and the other two people was sitting a middle-aged man reading a newspaper. About 45 min into our 1 1/2 hour flight, we began to smell something HORRENDOUS. We started commenting on it quietly enough to where nobody would hear us, and it just got worse and worse. We had our air on and it still smelled horrible. About 15 minutes after our first whiff of this awful stench, a flight attendant practically sprinted down the aisle with a can of Febreze. This made it bearable... for another ten minutes.

The stench returned and people were beginning to look around and some were getting noticeably uncomfortable. the flight attendant runs up and down the aisle spraying the air freshener again and it fizzles out when she passes our aisle.

To this day, I am 90% sure that man crapped himself on the flight and was just too embarassed or lazy to get up and go to the restroom.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:34 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,577,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
What's REALLY irritating is when a child constantly kicks the back of the seat in the presence of an oblivious parent.
Easy.

I had one relentless kid that was going at it before we took off. The weak mother made feeble implorings for him to stop.

Finally I raised up in my seat and in a dark, loud tone said "Young man, stop kicking the seat, this is not a playground".

I've never seen so many stunned faces on a plane. He bawled for a bit but stopped kicking the seat.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:39 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,577,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
Alot of complainers!

Don't like flying- drive or take the train...or take Greyhound so that you can EXPECT bad behavior.

All these conditions are created by the airline industry:
smelly sandwiches - they took away food
no leg room - they pack every square inch with tiny seats
no room in bin - they took away free checked luggage

Start firing off to the airlines - not fellow passengers. Maybe if they rate jack the fare to include these things....more people will drive....and it will be those with the smelly sandwiches!
That's right I don't like flying. It's like any business where the service sucks, I don't go back or avoid it.

Tonight I was looking at going across country to visit friends and relatives in Colorado. Probably with all the hassle of 2 flights and rental cars, when it comes down to it, I'll probably just drive myself instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or