U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 06:57 PM

1,854 posts, read 8,742,575 times

Advertisements

The travel forum is dead for weeks at a time, but mention a fat person, or reclining seats, look out. Pages get added in just a few hours. What a shallow society we have become.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 09:10 PM

8,240 posts, read 15,248,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
They recline for the same reason armrests go up. Why do people complain that the fat person next to them lifted the armrest because he couldn't fit? Suck it up, if the armrest goes up then it must be designed that way. If they weren't supposed to be lifted, wouldn't they be stationary? Of course you don't have a problem with the seat being reclined in front of you. If I wasn't 5'10", I wouldn't either. You appear to only have issues with obese passengers sitting next to you. Funny, because you're short and reclined seats don't affect you, you see no issues with it. But you have a problem with an obese passengers lifting up your armrest because it does affect you. Double standard, no?
Fat people infringe on my space and should buy two seats. They've paid for the seat they sit in. The armrest can go up for my husband or family, not for a stranger, especially for one who is spilling into my seat.

A seat reclined back doesn't bother me because I'm short, and because it's their seat to do with. If I were very tall, I suppose I would buy my seat and the seat in front of me so that I wouldn't be bothered.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
reclining seats are a relic from when there was actual pitch on flights ..... they need to go the way of ashtrays

to me it's much more rude to slam your seat back, spill peoples drinks/snacks, make it impossible to operate a laptop because of the angle between the tray and a reclined seat and to force your seat into the legs of someone else

if you don't want to feel my knees during a flight it's very simple - don't put your seat into them

if you do put your seat into them I guarantee that both of us will have a long, miserable flight .... not by my choice, but by your actions

have some consideration of those around you and some awareness of your surroundings
I agree- they shouldn't recline. While they do recline, I will recline if I need to. I don't always- maybe 30% of the time. I'm short, so there's no need, unless I'm not feeling great or I'm tired. For whatever it's worth, I always put my hand on the headrest and turn around to give warning I'm going back. Slamming a chair back is rude. If there's a knee in my chair back, though....

Old 08-04-2010, 09:56 AM

9,029 posts, read 16,430,940 times
it's going to happen regardless if i'm behind you

mainly because there is no where else to go

i'm already touching the fabric on the seat (a big pet peeve is when the paper holder is broken in front of me and the pouch droops away from the seat) .......... when the seat goes back there is no other option

and I can tell you that the hard wire from the pocket doesn't feel good at all being embedded into your knees after 3 hours ....... i've gotten off flights where my knees were numb and i've had imprints in them for a good while

Old 08-04-2010, 12:12 PM

3,644 posts, read 5,561,223 times
Quote:
it's going to happen regardless if i'm behind you

mainly because there is no where else to go

i'm already touching the fabric on the seat (a big pet peeve is when the paper holder is broken in front of me and the pouch droops away from the seat) .......... when the seat goes back there is no other option

and I can tell you that the hard wire from the pocket doesn't feel good at all being embedded into your knees after 3 hours ....... i've gotten off flights where my knees were numb and i've had imprints in them for a good while
How tall are you? I'm 6' 1" and my knees do dig in to the paper holder of the seat in front of me but if I spread my legs at an angle toward the outer edges of the seat then there is a little more room and that usually makes the difference. I don't feel like I have less leg room when the person in front reclines their seat as there is very little rotation toward the bottom of the seat. Certainly I gain more comfort by reclining my own seat than I do lose from the person in front of me reclining thiers.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:17 PM

6'5" with a whole lot of femur

I generally try to work the angles as much as possible - only so much you can do as you can't really spill into the aisles and don't want to infringe on the person next to you

Old 08-04-2010, 12:44 PM

3,644 posts, read 5,561,223 times
Quote:
6'5" with a whole lot of femur

I generally try to work the angles as much as possible - only so much you can do as you can't really spill into the aisles and don't want to infringe on the person next to you
Wow! Yeah, you're pretty much screwed on long flights. I assume you always get an aisle seat. On transpacific flights I always put my legs all the way out into the aisle after the beverage cart had come though. Sure, I'd get bumped and even stepped on once in awhile as someone was going to the bathroom but it was worth it for the room. It's too bad there is no system in place to accomidae tall people like there is for fat people. Afterall, tall isn't a result of an indulgent zero sefl-control lifestyle like fat is.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Wow! Yeah, you're pretty much screwed on long flights. I assume you always get an aisle seat. On transpacific flights I always put my legs all the way out into the aisle after the beverage cart had come though. Sure, I'd get bumped and even stepped on once in awhile as someone was going to the bathroom but it was worth it for the room. It's too bad there is no system in place to accomidae tall people like there is for fat people. Afterall, tall isn't a result of an indulgent zero sefl-control lifestyle like fat is.
I've actually been thinking of this lately, as a result of this thread. I freely admit that it's not a problem for me, so I never considered it. I guess if i were 6.5,I would buy the seat in front of me? Or buy the extra leg room seat (Jet blue has it).

Old 08-05-2010, 02:45 AM

38,690 posts, read 89,203,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I've actually been thinking of this lately, as a result of this thread. I freely admit that it's not a problem for me, so I never considered it. I guess if i were 6.5,I would buy the seat in front of me? Or buy the extra leg room seat (Jet blue has it).
Or fly business class.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:48 AM

Or ensure that the person in front of you respects your space

Most airlines don't offer many options - it would be nice if they held exit row/1st row seating (even at a moderate upcharge) ..... I know i've paid extra on AirTran to choose my seats and those ones were at a premium

TED used to have a verson of economy plus - however, the cost of it was way too much .... especially for what is essentially a commuter line - the upgrade was the cost of the actual airfare .... not worth it for 90 minutes in the air

There is also the case that 90% of my travel (and a big portion of overall travel) is business travel .... not many companies are shelling out for higher cost airfares ..... I have some control over the schedule, they have most control over the airline and the fare paid

for where i'm based (phx) and where I go the vast majority of my flights on are southwest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or