U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 01:31 PM

9,029 posts, read 16,438,315 times

Advertisements

for drinks it's not the angle of the tray - it's the jarring motion of the drop

once again - find that business section on southwest for me, convince my employer to book it and we're good to go ..... until then you just sound arrogant

and also, please feel free to use the magazine/paper pouch that is connected to the seat that your back touches .... after all that is in this mysterious "recline zone" and definitely belongs to your seat, right?!

how about those seats that don't recline because they are adjacent to the exits .... do those passengers still get to make a claim for space?!

but then again, keeping a wholly selfish me first attitude is not that uncommon and it's funny how your side crows pretty loudly about it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 01:49 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,420,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post

once again - find that business section on southwest for me, convince my employer to book it and we're good to go ..... until then you just sound arrogant
I bet you anything that someone will come back to this one and tell you to start flying another airline, that does have business class. Or better yet, that it does exist and you're not looking hard enough! I mean, what are you thinking anyway, flying SW because it's convenient?

I have 2 long flights ahead of me tomorrow. I hope the person that sits in front of me is more like you than most of the other posters in this thread! I just flew home from NYC on Tuesday night and didn't recline my seat the entire trip. The guy in front of me did. So, every single time I would cross or uncross my legs, my knees would hit the back of his seat and jolt him awake. He was getting so pissed off and I couldn't help but laugh. I must have woken him up 5 or 6 time at least! There is nothing I can do about my long legs and I need to switch positions every so often. Not my fault his seat was in the way! I'm not one to ever sleep on flights for some odd reason, even red eyes, so I feel bad for the recliner in front of me that's desperately trying to sleep at 1am!

Old 08-06-2010, 01:49 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,233,190 times
Quote:
but then again, keeping a wholly selfish me first attitude is not that uncommon
True, and your posts are dripping with it.

"WAH! Don't recline into MY space!"

"WAH! Southwest won't provide business class for ME!"

"WAH! My boss won't pay for an upgrade for ME!"

"WAH! Go talk to my boss for ME so he'll pay for an upgrade!!"

"WAH WAH WAH!!!!!"

Maybe you should have the flight attendant bring you a nice bottle of warm milk. Just be sure to ask for a high-flow nipple.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:38 PM

9,029 posts, read 16,438,315 times
I like my nipples low flow - you need to take your time when working such things and i'd rather not have my mouth gushing with fluids

and i'm not complaining at all - i'm just pointing out realities

i fit in my space - if you don't recline you will not even know i'm there - i'm very careful in the way I open and close my tray as to not jolt the seat, when I have to stand I don't touch the seat in front of me, I keep my arms at my side and generally just work on my laptop, watch a movie or read a book/magazine pending on where I'm going or why

if you recline your seat into my legs you will definitely know I'm there - not because I hate you for reclining, not because I have some passive aggressive vendetta ........ it's because there is no other potential outcome

I'll deal with it if you can deal with it .... however, like the story MAK posted above, more frequent than not the person in front of you gets all huffy ..... once again, I'll go out of my way to not have any interaction with you - have your existence, I'll have mine .... but when you choose to press your back into my legs, you can't blame me for when you feel my legs

it's really not that difficult of a situation

Old 08-06-2010, 04:14 PM

3,644 posts, read 5,562,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
This makes me assume you don't have a job where you use a computer 99% of the time.
I'm a software engineer so, yeah, I do use a computer 90+% of the time. What I don't do is travel for business purposes (1 trip on 9 years).

Quote:
for drinks it's not the angle of the tray - it's the jarring motion of the drop.
Oh. Well, not a problem then since I always recline my seat well before they come through the aisle with the beverage cart.

I did not know SouthWest doesn't have a business class since I've never flown on them since they don't fly to Miami.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:38 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,583,824 times
What is interesting for me, is that like any unionized business, the airline business is stuck in the stone ages. Technology and culture has come a long way and airlines are still stuck back in the old days. I don't feel bad when some of them go out of business, because really most carriers need to.

You'd figure with all the societal advances, someone would break the paradigm and come up with a better seating layout, better seats and better customer service with better food options and better bathrooms. The whole deal is stuck back in 1955 and it's time to move on and move forward. If someone comes forward and says that they can't do better and even do it cheaper, I call BS in a big way.

A lot of what many stewards do can now be automated.

In any case, it's a crap product so I don't use it often and I guess they figure they don't need mine or other peoples business. I'd rather drive and with where I live in the NE, I can reach anywhere in the mid atlantic, new england and even as far west as Chicago in an easy days drive, most locations quicker than if I went to the airport and flew.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:07 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,233,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
You'd figure with all the societal advances, someone would break the paradigm and come up with a better seating layout, better seats and better customer service with better food options and better bathrooms. The whole deal is stuck back in 1955 and it's time to move on and move forward. If someone comes forward and says that they can't do better and even do it cheaper, I call BS in a big way.
There used to be better seats, better customer service, better food options (not so much better bathrooms). But consumers have made it clear that what they want above all else is cheap airfare. What we have now is the opposite of 1955, where the things you lament as absent used to matter. As a consequence, on an inflation-adjusted basis it costs much less to fly now than it did back then. Even as recently as the early 1980s a cross-country flight would cost today's equivalent of about $1500-$2000.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:36 PM

38,877 posts, read 20,174,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
There used to be better seats, better customer service, better food options (not so much better bathrooms). But consumers have made it clear that what they want above all else is cheap airfare. What we have now is the opposite of 1955, where the things you lament as absent used to matter. As a consequence, on an inflation-adjusted basis it costs much less to fly now than it did back then. Even as recently as the early 1980s a cross-country flight would cost today's equivalent of about $1500-$2000.
I agree ... As much as I'd enjoy some additional comforts, I'm not willing to shell out extra hundreds of dollars for a flight that will only last a few hours. Just get me there cheaply and safely and I'm satisfied with that.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:47 PM

1,854 posts, read 8,745,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
What is interesting for me, is that like any unionized business, the airline business is stuck in the stone ages. Technology and culture has come a long way and airlines are still stuck back in the old days. I don't feel bad when some of them go out of business, because really most carriers need to.

A lot of what many stewards do can now be automated.

In any case, it's a crap product so I don't use it often and I guess they figure they don't need mine or other peoples business. I'd rather drive and with where I live in the NE, I can reach anywhere in the mid atlantic, new england and even as far west as Chicago in an easy days drive, most locations quicker than if I went to the airport and flew.

This is a prime example of talking out of your ass.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:16 AM

2,756 posts, read 5,325,202 times
I must say that on my recent flight, it was actually pleasant. I wasn't crazy about getting on a plane after not flying for a year. Yes, the seats are smaller and it's really a luck of the draw that you get great seatmates and overall where most, if not all passengers cooperate with one another.

I have found I simply get back what I give and air travel is no exception. Act like a decent, respectful person, 99.9 times out of 100 that's how I will be treated in return. Act like a selfish jerk, then how fair is it of me to expect someone to respond in a positive way?

Granted, I do miss the meals on flights, but in reality, it's not the airline's responsibility to feed me. I simply eat a decent meal before flying.

Are there annoying passengers? absolutely? Nonetheless there are many good ones that overshadow the bad few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or