Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 11:42 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times

Advertisements

This is why I haven't been on a plane in 8 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 10:52 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,316,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I'm 5'10" and my husband is 6'2". And I'm not "too big for my seat." In fact, I weigh less than most women shorter than me, so that's not even a factor. I assure you that when someone reclines their seat all the way, we have no leg room left. Sure, if you're short, that's not an issue. But it's a huge issue for the tall people. I was on a flight from hell coming home from Italy, where the inconsiderate people in front of us refused to put their seats more upright, even after seeing that we truly could not move. Even other passengers commented to them that they are being rude and inconsiderate because we were that cramped and everyone around us noticed. I've never seen seats recline that much on any other airline, it was beyond ridiculous. Luckily, we mostly fly with Delta and don't have these issues anymore since our status gets us either first class or exit rows.
Why do the seats recline? If we weren't supposed to recline them, wouldn't they be stationary? I'm short, and I have no problem with reclined seats in front of me. Because my seat can recline, I recline it.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:49 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,287,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Why do the seats recline? If we weren't supposed to recline them, wouldn't they be stationary? I'm short, and I have no problem with reclined seats in front of me. Because my seat can recline, I recline it.
They recline for the same reason armrests go up. Why do people complain that the fat person next to them lifted the armrest because he couldn't fit? Suck it up, if the armrest goes up then it must be designed that way. If they weren't supposed to be lifted, wouldn't they be stationary? Of course you don't have a problem with the seat being reclined in front of you. If I wasn't 5'10", I wouldn't either. You appear to only have issues with obese passengers sitting next to you. Funny, because you're short and reclined seats don't affect you, you see no issues with it. But you have a problem with an obese passengers lifting up your armrest because it does affect you. Double standard, no?

Old 08-03-2010, 07:58 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
A obese person moving up the arm rest to 'spill' over into my space 'seat' does apply. 1/2 of the arm rest is 'my space' and the area past my 1/2 of the arm rest is my space. So i he s/he is in my space s/he should buy 2 seats or a 1st/biz class seat if thats the space s/he needs.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:22 AM

I pay for "my space" in and around my seat as well, including the space in front of me. The flight I'm talking about was on Eurofly, where every single seat in the plane was the same. I've never had an issue on any other airline, this was by far the worst airline ever. I've never seen so little leg room before, it wasn't like your average Delta or Continental flight. You want to recline there, by all means go ahead, I'm talking about one flight, one time. These people were in our laps, literally, for 9 hours. The seats reclined that low and we couldn't even get up to use the restroom if we wanted to. That I have an issue with.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:09 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
reclining seats are a relic from when there was actual pitch on flights ..... they need to go the way of ashtrays

to me it's much more rude to slam your seat back, spill peoples drinks/snacks, make it impossible to operate a laptop because of the angle between the tray and a reclined seat and to force your seat into the legs of someone else

if you don't want to feel my knees during a flight it's very simple - don't put your seat into them

if you do put your seat into them I guarantee that both of us will have a long, miserable flight .... not by my choice, but by your actions

have some consideration of those around you and some awareness of your surroundings

Old 08-03-2010, 03:14 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,304,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
reclining seats are a relic from when there was actual pitch on flights ..... they need to go the way of ashtrays

to me it's much more rude to slam your seat back, spill peoples drinks/snacks, make it impossible to operate a laptop because of the angle between the tray and a reclined seat and to force your seat into the legs of someone else

if you don't want to feel my knees during a flight it's very simple - don't put your seat into them

if you do put your seat into them I guarantee that both of us will have a long, miserable flight .... not by my choice, but by your actions

have some consideration of those around you and some awareness of your surroundings
And we are to believe that you don't recline your seat? Riiiiiight. Having had seats that don't recline on some flights in the past I can tell you that it is super uncomfortable after the two hour mark. Reclining seats are a must. In fact, I'd go one more and say that completely horizontal seats stacked on top of each other would be better than the current arangement. Yeah, we'd look like slaves on the old slave ships but at least we'd be lying down. If done properly it wouldn't take up any more room than the current arangement. They can't do it because it wouldn't be a safe position in an emergency landing. Sigh. Too bad.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:38 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
And we are to believe that you don't recline your seat? Riiiiiight.
I absolutely do not recline my seat - haven't in well over a decade

My wife no longer does it as well unless there is no one behind her after flying with me and also being disturbed by those in front of her

If you sit in front of me and choose to recline your seat you are choosing to have a very uncomfortable flight .... if I choose to recline mine into someone else I would be choosing to have those same discomforts as well as choosing to negatively impact the stranger behind me

I'm not that rude or self centered ..... I fly frequently, often for durations much longer than 2 hours and am perfectly fine just biding my time in the sliver of space alloted

In fact I feel bad when my seat is broken and a little wobbly because I don't want the person behind me to think i'm encroaching in on them

Old 08-03-2010, 04:10 PM

I completely agree with Finger Laker. I fly all the time, way more than the average person and I have never felt the need to recline my seat. I actually take the person behind me into consideration. Lots of people work on flights. Being crammed aside, try using a laptop at an odd angle. I also assure the person on front of me will have my knees in their back if they recline. I'm all legs and need somewhere to put them!

Old 08-03-2010, 06:42 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
If I see the person behind me reclining, I know there's no reason not to recline
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel