Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 06:26 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,461,760 times

Advertisements

When Mike Nugent flies, nothing annoys him more than settling into his seat, the plane taking off, and the passenger in front reclining into his lap. So he's come up with a solution.

"I put my knee right in the middle of the back of the seat," Nugent, 66, says. "They think it's broken.

As flying gets more stressful, some passengers turn rude - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 07:21 AM

13,380 posts, read 28,638,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
When Mike Nugent flies, nothing annoys him more than settling into his seat, the plane taking off, and the passenger in front reclining into his lap. So he's come up with a solution.

"I put my knee right in the middle of the back of the seat," Nugent, 66, says. "They think it's broken.

As flying gets more stressful, some passengers turn rude - USATODAY.com
Mike is an azz...or too big for his seat to begin with...the dam seats don't recline that far back as for the passenger in front to be in his lap

Old 07-23-2010, 07:30 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,936,261 times
That Space IS Mine... It does not belong to the seat behind me. Its MY space, I been on lots of flights where the person behind me asks me to not recline my seat. Um NO, that space is mine just like the space behind his seat his so he can recline his seat. Also, the space under the seat in front of me is Mine to. If you have to much carry on stuff that you cant fit it in the over head, I;m Not giving you my space under the seat in front of me.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
That Space IS Mine... It does not belong to the seat behind me. Its MY space, I been on lots of flights where the person behind me asks me to not recline my seat. Um NO, that space is mine just like the space behind his seat his so he can recline his seat. Also, the space under the seat in front of me is Mine to. If you have to much carry on stuff that you cant fit it in the over head, I;m Not giving you my space under the seat in front of me.
I don't get it...the person in front of me reclining has never bothered me & most passengers will put the seat back up when they serve food or drinks...

Old 07-23-2010, 08:31 AM

14,990 posts, read 23,799,586 times
I admit to doing this, what that Mike Nugent does. No it doesn't recline into your lap of course but it severaly reduces leg and knee room for any male behind you of average or more height when a seat is reclined in coach class.
So I have a few sublime tricks to discourage a person in front of me from doing it, putting legs up and simulating "damaged recliner" is only one of them.
It's not "turning rude" however. Rude is blatantly yelling at the guy in front of you for doing it. No need for that.

Edit: Interesting as I read the article, the author was suggesting it was not Mike Nugent who was the rude one, but the guy in front of him. I tend to agree, I have for a long time purposely not reclined my seat in coach if someone is behind me, I do think it's rude. The article suggests this:
"Travel experts say that you can ask the person behind you if it's OK to recline your seat, recline only halfway or for part of the flight."

Last edited by Dd714; 07-23-2010 at 08:47 AM..

Old 07-23-2010, 08:31 AM

10,199 posts, read 17,780,830 times
People have no patience on a flight and are too quick to get annoyed by the smallest thing like a seat reclining all of a few inches into their space. News flash: the personal space you're given on a flight is small and it's the same for everyone else unless you pay for business class or an extra seat - either get over it or don't fly.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:20 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,936,261 times
Its Not THEIR Space.. That 'Space' belong to the seat in front of you.. Just like the 'Space' behind your seat where it reclines belongs you, not the person behind you.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:31 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,440,699 times
What do you mean "turn rude"?! We as passengers have always been rude. As well as inconsiderate, unpunctual, ignorant and uncooperative. We all get stressed out, tired, irritated, upset and angry and we take our frustrations out on innocent bystanders as well as those who have actually upset us. This has been going on since the pilgrims crossed the Atlantic as passengers on the Mayflower!

Old 07-23-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
People have no patience on a flight and are too quick to get annoyed by the smallest thing like a seat reclining all of a few inches into their space. News flash: the personal space you're given on a flight is small and it's the same for everyone else unless you pay for business class or an extra seat - either get over it or don't fly.
Agree..these people are griping like it was a lazy boy recliner in front of them
You can rest assured the next time I try to recline and it won't I'll stand up and check behind me....

Lots of stuff gets on my nerves...crying screaming kids, the person next to me who didn't know when to stop spraying the perfume on themselves, but I deal with it

Old 07-23-2010, 10:44 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,290,353 times
I'm 6' 1"and my knees dig in to the seat in front of me if I had my legs straight. So, instead, I angle my legs outward to get an extra inch of room. I ALWAYS put my seat back the few degrees it goes. It never bothers me when the person in front of me reclines their seat. I expect it. Who the heck doesn't recline their seat. The only people I've seen it bother are the people who are tryingto use a laptop andrealize that there is no room for their screen if the seat in front is reclined. Shouldn't those people be in business class anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel