U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 07:02 AM

12,275 posts, read 18,401,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Both are frequent travelers around Europe, including the Communist Soviet Union and East Berlin, prior to their falls. After we talked with them about their travels of the US, they hesitantly admitted to us that what they saw in our US airports was frighteningly like both of those regimes, prior to their fall. They, too, were told the loss of freedoms were for their own protections.
Well that's very strange, what you see in US airports is no worse than any airport in the world. Certainly I've been frisked and questioned in the Amsterdam airport, and they also, in spite of that, seem to be just as inept as our TSA (i.e. - underwear bomber).
Something wrong with your analysis - someone from The Netherlands ("nanny state central") complaining about the loss of freedom imposed by the state for their own protection? The Netherlands is the poster child for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 07:51 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,914,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Wow, how do you guy do so many flights??.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
A love for travel!
....and perhaps a nice income and plenty of vacation time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Well that's very strange, what you see in US airports is no worse than any airport in the world. Certainly I've been frisked and questioned in the Amsterdam airport,
I was vigorously frisked at Heathrow in 1974 and again in 1979.
I was frisked, wanded and plopped down for a short interview at Schiphol in 2006.
European travelers to the USA are now experiencing more intensive scrutiny than they did in the past, but it's been going on for awhile now. We have the digital fingerprint routine, and body scanners. How universal and/or effective it is, I can't say.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:59 AM

12,014 posts, read 16,761,808 times
One way to Boston (drove back after college)
One way to Myrtle Beach (then Spirit Air went on strike so I had to Greyhound back)

Have a round trip flight planned for Boston in 2 weeks for an interview.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:12 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,411,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
....and perhaps a nice income and plenty of vacation time.

It's all about priorities! While most of my friend prefer to purchase gigantic homes, luxury cars, birth humans that eat up all their income, and have tons of material possessions, we much prefer to use that money for travel experiences. Different priorities for different people! I assure you, we in no way make more than the average household in this area!

Old 07-27-2010, 11:41 AM

3,644 posts, read 5,560,200 times
I'm planning on flying back to Miami on July 30th and picking up my plane and flying it out to Houston where I moved a few weeks ago. After that I plan on flying about once every two weekends in the summer, because it is so hot, and then every weekend for the rest of the year. I don't know if it will be too cold in Houston in December to fly comfortably or not though.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:38 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,914,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
It's all about priorities! While most of my friend prefer to purchase gigantic homes, luxury cars, birth humans that eat up all their income, and have tons of material possessions, we much prefer to use that money for travel experiences. Different priorities for different people! I assure you, we in no way make more than the average household in this area!
SoCal, right?

I don't especially think our priorities are consumerist or otherwise suspect, but finding the vacation time is not easy and we don't like to dip into our savings too much.
We did happen to birth a couple of humans, a venture we found very fulfilling (and one of them now lives in Paris). Maybe after the second one graduates from college we will travel a bit more.

We did have two great family reunions in Denver and Santa Fe this year, and we may yet get out some place else before 2010 is over.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:43 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,411,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
SoCal, right?
Yes, SoCal. Which sadly, is nothing in terms of salary speak like the NYC area was. We've only lived here for almost 2 years now, not that long. Think a $60k paycut just to live here, and a higher cost of living. The salaries around here are pathetic, which is why most people don't last more than a few years.

I'm in my 20s, I have time to birth humans! My friends, however, felt that their biological clock was ticking at the age of 23 and started having kids then. What they spend on diapers, daycare, toys, kid furniture, birthday parties, doctor visits, etc. we spend on travel. Like I said, different priorities for different people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel