Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 08:09 PM

367 posts, read 1,074,134 times

Advertisements

In a situation like this, the airline can't win. I think they made the best of it - 14 yr old teenager probably had to be prioritized, she is a minor after all and maybe had arrangements at the destination which she herself would not be able to reschedule.
Also, the woman forced off was on standby, and when you're standby, you're really (willingly) at the mercy of whatever situation may happen. It sucks, yes, but I don't know how they could have better solved this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 09:14 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Maybe the solution is to have body checks at checkin time to see if a person will fit in one seat. It would be like that little box to test if your caryon will fit in tthe overhead bin or not. We'd have the saem thing for people. It would be better than letting the fat person board and only then learning they needed a second seat.
Wouldn't it usually be cheaper and more comfortable for the fat person to upgrade to business clas where the seats are bigger than to buy two cattle-class seats?

Old 07-28-2010, 09:31 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
SWA probably gave into the obese teen because of the huge flak they received when they booted fatty director Kevin Smith (of Clerks fame) this Feb, and he instantly tweeted his rants to the entire world. In his case it was a full flight and no extra stand-by seats were available so he had to take the next flight with an empty seat. I think SWA's official policy is to charge for the double seat, but given all the negative attention I'm not sure if they've enforced it since the Feb incident.
Do realize when the Kevin Smith story surfaced, 75%+ of the people responding were PRO-SWA. It was hardly negative publicity.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:34 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
A body Check??? They can't inforce the Carry on bag size, with the staff they have,

Do you realy think the understaffed gate people are going to do a Body Size check?

Old 07-28-2010, 09:48 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times
Forget the body check. Just have signs, stating the dimensions of the seats and it is your responsibility to ensure you comfortably (can buckle up and put arm rest down) fit into them, or risk being deplaned. Nothing like embarrassment to drive the point across! When you check in online, they can have one of the check boxes like they do for checked luggage, where they state the dimensions and ask you if you can fit.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:37 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
I've seen on that reality show about SW Airlines where they had to tell overweight people they need two seats, and it sure gets ugly in a hurry. They can get militant in a hurry, making a big scene about discrimination etc. almost as bad as drag queen accidentally hearing you making a comment.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:40 AM

I had no idea they had a reality show! How is that discrimination? You cannot fit into a seat, thus forcing you to spill over into the one next to you. Since no one else can sit there, you have to pay for the space you take up. I don't see the discrimination in that! Why should the airline lose money? What if there were 30 obese people on the plane, taking up 60 seats but only paying for 30? How is that fair?

Old 07-28-2010, 11:18 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I had no idea they had a reality show!
It looks like this:

YouTube - Airline TV Show S1E11 You Must Be Kidding? (1/3)

Old 07-28-2010, 11:26 AM

Wow, customers suck! Some of these people are so out of line! I understand the frustration that can come with flying but taking your frustration out on the gate agent will get you nowhere. It's not their fault the fights are overbooked, they are just the messenger. And with cruises, aren't you advised to get to your destination a day or two in advance, in case these types of circumstances arise? Paying thousands for a cruise, and booking a flight that is *supposed* to leave only hours before cruise departure doesn't sound smart to me! I'm sure each one of us has had a few flight delays in our time!

Old 07-28-2010, 11:40 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
It is safer and easier for the airline for an adult to leave the plane than a minor child....regardless of the circumstances. There is lots of paperwork if the child was unaccompanied and if with someone else the child needed to stay on the same flight with them. Lots of people get bumped from flights for a variety of reasons. Under the circumstances, they should have (and probably did) put the adult passenger on the next available flight with a free upgrade.

Personally, I would give up my seat for a child any time for any reason.....or would we only do this for a thin child?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel