Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2010, 12:30 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,352,690 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'll be driving from NYC and would like to visit a nice beach for a long weekend (4 days/3 nights) next month. I'd like to limit my drive to 8 hours and my budget for hotel, food and fun is about $1,000. I'd prefer something quiet as opposed to Atlantic City.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 12:57 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,216,608 times
I could be wrong, but Myrtle Beach, South Carolina is reasonably priced. Only issue is that it is about a 12 hour drive from NYC. It is busy during the summer, but mostly families vacation there.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:16 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,352,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I could be wrong, but Myrtle Beach, South Carolina is reasonably priced. Only issue is that it is about a 12 hour drive from NYC. It is busy during the summer, but mostly families vacation there.
Thanks. I'm actually looking for something a bit more peaceful than the big resort towns like Myrtle Beach, Virginia Beach or Atlantic City.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:44 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,715,221 times
Ever been to Cape May? It's a Victorian town on the southern tip of NJ. A lot quieter than Atlantic City and has good restaurants, hotels/B&Bs, wineries, and (of course) beaches. If you want more detailed information, just let me know, I've gone there pretty much every summer of my life!

Old 07-30-2010, 11:23 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,216,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
Ever been to Cape May? It's a Victorian town on the southern tip of NJ. A lot quieter than Atlantic City and has good restaurants, hotels/B&Bs, wineries, and (of course) beaches. If you want more detailed information, just let me know, I've gone there pretty much every summer of my life!
I've lived in New Jersey all my life, yet I've never been to Cape May.

From what I've heard though, it is a nice area and probably not as busy as other shore areas.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:35 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,943,292 times
You might like Fenwick Island on the border of Maryland and Delaware. There are beaches galore within reasonable distance; Bethany, Fenwick, South Bethany, Dewey, Lewes and Rehoboth. Lots of reasonable restaurants, some of the beaches are free, lots of bike and walking paths, and if it's bad weather, you can always shop the outlets!

Old 07-30-2010, 08:51 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,525,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I've lived in New Jersey all my life, yet I've never been to Cape May.

From what I've heard though, it is a nice area and probably not as busy as other shore areas.
If you find that you don't like Cape May, you can take the ferry across Delaware Bay to Rehobeth Beach/Dewey Beach, DE. They have miles and miles of beautiful sand, a few attractions, not many people, but everything you might want for a blissful, peaceful escape.

I spent a weekend in Dewey Beach a few years ago and loved it. The Best Western I stayed at only had 2 floors of rooms and the beach was right there, about 100 yards away. Most of the time, there wasn't anyone on the beach but myself and a few locals early in the morning.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:44 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,380,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
If you find that you don't like Cape May, you can take the ferry across Delaware Bay to Rehobeth Beach/Dewey Beach, DE. They have miles and miles of beautiful sand, a few attractions, not many people, but everything you might want for a blissful, peaceful escape.
I love the Delaware beaches, but I wouldn't say there's "not many people" there, especially on the weekend. The traffic on Route 1 and the parking situation in Rehoboth bear this out.

Quote:
I spent a weekend in Dewey Beach a few years ago and loved it. The Best Western I stayed at only had 2 floors of rooms and the beach was right there, about 100 yards away. Most of the time, there wasn't anyone on the beach but myself and a few locals early in the morning.
This had to have been off-season or weekday.

I do still like the suggestion. Just wanted to warn the poster to expect some crowds.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:41 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,706 times
Are you heading South or North? Cape Cod is nice and what I have heard from my daughter who recently went for 2 nights, is not all booked up. The had reservations in Hyannis but she saw many "vacancy" signs while there. The Maine coast is great too. Consider Reid State Park in the Bath/Brunswick area and also Popham Beach. There are also great beaches in York and Ogunquit. By the way I love taking a trip to NYC. We were there for 4 nights in May and had a great time. Temperatures were perfect as opposed to going in July or August.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel