U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 03:26 PM

9,334 posts, read 19,458,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mejsito View Post
Christmas is banned in Israel, and do not wear cross in public. You will get wiered look and treated bad
Wow you've never been to Israel have you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 05:08 PM

32,063 posts, read 32,962,795 times
Quote:
Actually it kind of is because Israeli potiticians do not allow public Christmas trees and Christmas decorations at all. There is only Arab city with Christmas tree.
Politicians and Rabbis told people to boycott businesses who decorate for the holiday.

Why would they question? There are 2.2 billion Christians worldwide.
Israel is a Jewish country (where there is not full separation of state & religion like in the USA) and Christmas is not a Jewish holiday. Therefore there are no public displays of Christmas trees & decorations except in Christian Arab areas.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:13 AM

2,189 posts, read 4,714,003 times
I would be interested how you get from Israel to the surrounding countries. Perhaps Egypt and Jordan. I was thinking about going to Israel, but I would want to go to as many neighboring countries as possible. Not sure how easy regional travel is. Not necessarily flying.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
I would be interested how you get from Israel to the surrounding countries. Perhaps Egypt and Jordan. I was thinking about going to Israel, but I would want to go to as many neighboring countries as possible. Not sure how easy regional travel is. Not necessarily flying.
There are a few border crossings between Israel and Jordan. There a bus at the border that takes you from one country's checkpoint to the another country's border control and it is a fairly easy process.

I know that it is also possible to cross the border between Israel and Egypt in the Sinai Desert area but I don't know what the process is like.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:06 AM

6,475 posts, read 6,183,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
There are a few border crossings between Israel and Jordan. There a bus at the border that takes you from one country's checkpoint to the another country's border control and it is a fairly easy process.

I know that it is also possible to cross the border between Israel and Egypt in the Sinai Desert area but I don't know what the process is like.
Right, Israel and Jordan is pretty open. I thought about crossing the Sinai into Egypt, but that was way too far out in the desert. I assume it is a pretty straightforward crossing. Going into Syria is what I'd be worried about.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:36 AM

22,656 posts, read 28,685,250 times
Is it still advisable to do the other countries first and Israel last, so you aren't trying to get into those other countries with an Israeli border stamp in your passport?

Old 11-10-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Right, Israel and Jordan is pretty open. I thought about crossing the Sinai into Egypt, but that was way too far out in the desert. I assume it is a pretty straightforward crossing. Going into Syria is what I'd be worried about.
I don't think you can cross the Syrian-Israeli border as a tourist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Is it still advisable to do the other countries first and Israel last, so you aren't trying to get into those other countries with an Israeli border stamp in your passport?
I believe you can request from the Israeli border control to stamp a separate piece paper not in your passport in order to avoid that problem.

Sent from my GT-S7562 using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-10-2013, 09:03 AM

1,983 posts, read 2,633,656 times
About thirty years ago, I was living and working in Tel Aviv for a period of about six months. I visited an Israeli travel agent and I was able to book a bus tour to Cairo, including transportation, hotel, guided tours, and a visit to the pyramids and the Sphinx.

The bus left Tel Aviv and I forget how long it took to get to the border crossing, but I do remember that at the border we were moved from the Israeli bus (with Hebrew lettering on the side) to an Egyptian bus (with Arabic lettering on the side) for the rest of the ride to Cairo.

Of course, this was a long time ago, and I have no idea what the situation is now. But I would recommend searching for an Israeli travel agent (I'm sure you can communicate by email) to get up-to-date information on current requirements and recommendations.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Actually it kind of is because Israeli potiticians do not allow public Christmas trees and Christmas decorations at all. There is only Arab city with Christmas tree.
Politicians and Rabbis told people to boycott businesses who decorate for the holiday.

Why would they question? There are 2.2 billion Christians worldwide.
The majority of Israeli politicians are Jewish and Israel is a Jewish state (where is no full separation of state and religion). Therefore it would inappropriate for there to be displays of Christmas trees and decorations in most public places outside the Christian Arab communities. But if a private individual wants to have a Christmas tree in their home or put X'mas decorations in their home it is possible to do so.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:43 PM

73 posts, read 117,746 times
Well....at the moment i am living in Israel .... (But i am coming from Lithuania and i will return soon back to Europe)
I will be very happy if you will visit us...
I speak Hebrew and if you will need any help or information about IL i can help you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel