U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 11:28 PM

705 posts, read 1,442,324 times

Advertisements

Looking at exotic destinations, want something that is not as predictable as Europe , Israel looks interesting from a historical standpoint. Indifferent about religion, however I would be intrigued to learn about the various attractions in Jerusalem .

****, typo.

mod note--typo fixed.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 11-19-2013 at 07:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 04:43 PM

32,060 posts, read 32,956,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
Looking at exotic destinations, want something that is not as predictable as Europe , Israel looks interesting from a historical standpoint. Indifferent about religion, however I would be intrigued to learn about the various attractions in Jerusalem .

****, typo.
Yes, Jerusalem is a great place for visitors. It offers plenty of historical sites for Christians, Muslims and Jews in the Old Walled City. Besides that there are plenty of museums, the Israeli Parliament, other historical sites outside the old city as well as a variety of restaurants and shopping.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:54 PM

28,487 posts, read 62,101,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
Looking at exotic destinations...
Not a whole lot different than California LINK

Old 11-01-2013, 09:19 PM

181 posts, read 166,355 times
Israel is great, and people are great, Jewish from all over the world, so you are exposed to diversity. I found that Tel Aviv was more hospitable for western tourists who are not doing the religious thing. Jerusalem is a hard city to swallow given the history and also the present situation. It is mystical and interesting nonetheless.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:22 PM

5,722 posts, read 4,527,616 times
Yeah, I was born in Israel and I lived there for almost nine years. Israel is a pretty nice country to visit, especially right now, when the amount of terrorism there is pretty low.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:24 PM

5,722 posts, read 4,527,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Yes, Jerusalem is a great place for visitors. It offers plenty of historical sites for Christians, Muslims and Jews in the Old Walled City. Besides that there are plenty of museums, the Israeli Parliament, other historical sites outside the old city as well as a variety of restaurants and shopping.
Apologies for asking (you don't have to answer this if you do not want to), but based on your username, are you a 51-year-old/52-year-old Jewish woman?

Old 11-03-2013, 05:26 PM

1,318 posts, read 1,182,273 times
I would love to go to Isreal some day. I know several people who have gone and loved it. I think I could spend a week or two in Jerusalem and see different amazing sites every day. However all of the terror talk keeps making the friends who might be interested in joining me balk at the trip.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:16 PM

77 posts, read 81,960 times
Christmas is banned in Israel, and do not wear cross in public. You will get wiered look and treated bad

Old 11-04-2013, 06:20 AM

32,060 posts, read 32,956,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mejsito View Post
Christmas is banned in Israel, and do not wear cross in public. You will get wiered look and treated bad
Christmas is not banned in Israel. But it isn't a public holiday as Israel is a Jewish country and the public holidays there are the Jewish ones. Also one will not get treated badly if one wears a cross but people might question you about it as the majority of the population is Jewish.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:29 AM

77 posts, read 81,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Christmas is not banned in Israel. But it isn't a public holiday as Israel is a Jewish country and the public holidays there are the Jewish ones. Also one will not get treated badly if one wears a cross but people might question you about it as the majority of the population is Jewish.
Actually it kind of is because Israeli potiticians do not allow public Christmas trees and Christmas decorations at all. There is only Arab city with Christmas tree.
Politicians and Rabbis told people to boycott businesses who decorate for the holiday.

Why would they question? There are 2.2 billion Christians worldwide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel