Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 10:16 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,247,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
The seating on planes today is no less wide than it was 25 years ago. The only difference is that there seem to be more commuter jets like Canadair and Embrair in use now...these are definitely narrower. The difference between now and "back then" is that the airlines have simply squeezed more rows into the planed by reducing legroom.
Well, then, if the seating in planes is the same as it was 25 years ago then it's high-time they get upgraded to a changing population. People are not only heavier but they're getting TALLER, and I don't see this changing anytime in the near future. Either craft should get modified to install more leg-room and wider seats, or design it into newer future craft. And, yes, charge more for the seats. Not the same as 1st Class, by the way (which is supposed to include more amenities, right? I've never ridden 1st Class).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 10:43 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,286,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Well, then, if the seating in planes is the same as it was 25 years ago then it's high-time they get upgraded to a changing population. People are not only heavier but they're getting TALLER, and I don't see this changing anytime in the near future.
Not just airline seats but most things need to be resized for the taller populations of today. Countertops, doorknobs, and everything else haven't changed in 60+ years. Time to retool those factories and add a few inches to everything.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:57 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,248,350 times
I doubt people are getting taller, I constantly feel like I'm surrounded by short people in the US. My mother is the shortest in my family, and she's 5'8". Her brothers (in their 60s) are 6'2" and 6'4" and her parents were taller than her as well. So there were tall people in Europe for generations. In fact, every single time I go back home to visit (Poland), all the people are much, much taller than Americans. Same thing I noticed in Holland, Germany and Austria. I feel like a shorty at 5'10", and I'm female. The only difference is that they are not wide, just tall. Nothing worse than being extra wide and towering over everyone, just not a good look on anyone!

Old 08-03-2010, 11:32 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,664,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Well, then, if the seating in planes is the same as it was 25 years ago then it's high-time they get upgraded to a changing population. People are not only heavier but they're getting TALLER, and I don't see this changing anytime in the near future. Either craft should get modified to install more leg-room and wider seats, or design it into newer future craft. And, yes, charge more for the seats. Not the same as 1st Class, by the way (which is supposed to include more amenities, right? I've never ridden 1st Class).
The airlines can't do anything about the size of planes, or seats. You need to voice your concerns with Boeing, and Airbus. They will be more receptive of your ideas if you enclose a check for a few billion dollars with your letter.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:45 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,528,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
By SW rules she should have, But that is a private matter beween the 14yo(and her Parent(s)) and SW.
It was private until another passenger was removed from the plane. Standby or no, they had a seat they paid for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Standby or not, they let her on the plane and then told her to get off. They gave her the seat and then took it away. Once they'd given her the seat, she should have had the same rights as anyone else. Payment for the extra seat is not a private matter between the airline and the parents when a third person was denied that extra seat in favor of someone who potentially didn't pay for it.

But that was not really my point. My point was more that just earlier this year, the same airline kicked off an overweight passenger for not booking 2 seats. Which they had every right to do but the media attacked them for it.
Which is 90% of the problem in this country. Those gargantuan people spend all their time in front of the TV believing everything the media shoves down their gullets. Pizza and the latest about the fat girl on the plane. Film at eleven!

Old 08-03-2010, 11:49 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,247,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
The airlines can't do anything about the size of planes, or seats. You need to voice your concerns with Boeing, and Airbus. They will be more receptive of your ideas if you enclose a check for a few billion dollars with your letter.

Well, they can either gradually get with the 21st century or continue to deal with lawsuits and damaging media press, or establish procedures to secure all fliers' sizes before issuing tickets. The choice is theirs.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:01 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,161,135 times
I read somewhere that average height has been leveling off in the United States, with barely measurable increase in the last couple decades. The big height changes are still happening in developing countries though as children grow up with healthier more varied diets, like in China where you often see adult children walking along with parents that are 6-8 inches shorter.

I sympathize with the heavy person's plight but I'd definitely draw the line if they were raising the armrest to use my space too, that's the border man I'm guarding it like the Korean DMZ.

What is funny is when many people are seated and a really large person enters the plane, it's almost like reverse lottery where everyone is praying that someone else wins. I often wonder if said big person can it on people's faces, dozens of looks of fear/worry, followed by a wash of relief when the bag is finally swung up into the overhead bin that isn't near them.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:10 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,286,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I read somewhere that average height has been leveling off in the United States, with barely measurable increase in the last couple decades. The big height changes are still happening in developing countries though as children grow up with healthier more varied diets, like in China where you often see adult children walking along with parents that are 6-8 inches shorter.
I'm not surpised that the average height in the US is leveling off because a larger and larger sample of people probably includes the growing Hispanic population in the US, which are generally much shorter than Whites.
Quote:

What is funny is when many people are seated and a really large person enters the plane, it's almost like reverse lottery where everyone is praying that someone else wins.
LOL.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:01 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,940,829 times
Yes...the airlines CAN do something about the legroom on the seats...the seats are movable and can be adjusted to create more leg room....however, the airlines WON'T do that, as they will lose a row or two of seats...and therefore, profit.

I always request an aisle seat, unless hubby and I are on a 2-5-2 plane....and we can take 2 seats together.
At least, the aisle gives you a bit more room to get away from the person beside you. I've been between 2 large men, where I couldn't even move my arms...not a great way to spend 5+ hours!

Old 08-03-2010, 09:04 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,266,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
JetBlue is the worst airline out there. I'm in NYC right now and flew them here, only to use up my remaining points and redeem a free flight. That was my last flight on that airline, I'm flying Delta home.

My husband and I paid for those extra leg room seats, since we redeemed free flights and didn't mind paying that fee, a couple of months ago. Next to me, was a guy that was beyond what's considered obese. He sits, and immediately lifts my armrest because he can't fit! When his fat started to spill into my lap ( I shudder to think about it), I told him to please put the armrest down. He got downright nasty. They are extra leg room seats, not extra belly fat.

Luckily, the flight was not full and the male flight attendant felt so bad that he moved us to the first row. Imagine if the flight had been full, it would have been the 6 hour flight from hell! I hear about this happening on JB all the time and I refuse to fly them in the future, this being just one reason.
That is EXACTLY! What happened to us! On Jet Blue we paid for the extra leg room row ($40 each on top of the fare...) because the flight was totally full and we wanted to sit together. I had the center seat, and my husband the aisle. On the window was the obese woman who was spilling over into my seat. I, too, pushed down the armrest because it had my TV CONTROLS on it! She got testy, but who cares. Buy two seats!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel