Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 04:57 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,736,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
And I am very well aware of what will inflame the local residents .
An Iranian who planned to visit the US, determined to wear his Ahmadinejad T-shirt, would not sound convincing if he said "I am very well aware of what will inflame the local residents". I strongly suspect that you are not well aware at all, but the local residents have been too polite to tell you if you are insulting their sensitivities.

If you offend just one local resident, by intentionally and pointedly doing something that might, you are showing an 'ugly American' insensitivity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 06:34 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,292,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I strongly suspect that you are not well aware at all, but the local residents have been too polite to tell you if you are insulting their sensitivities.

If you offend just one local resident, by intentionally and pointedly doing something that might, you are showing an 'ugly American' insensitivity.
LOL. I think he is very aware of the locals and how he can act around them if he has been there many times. If you go to a Muslim country and offend people you WILL KNOW IT. Your first clue will be the mob running toward you shouting "death to the infidel". Not subtle, that.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:36 PM

14,990 posts, read 23,811,544 times
Quote:
An Iranian who planned to visit the US, determined to wear his Ahmadinejad T-shirt, would not sound convincing if he said "I am very well aware of what will inflame the local residents". I strongly suspect that you are not well aware at all, but the local residents have been too polite to tell you if you are insulting their sensitivities.

That's clearly uncalled for! I'm going to wear an olive drab tshirt, or a firemans tshirt, and the classifies me as an ugly american? The fact that I don't hide that I am american you think will offend local residents?
My point was made in the post right before yours above.

You are defending your point, which has been disputed by at least 3 here, I understand that, but don't attack me in the process.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
That's clearly uncalled for! I'm going to wear an olive drab tshirt, or a firemans tshirt, and the classifies me as an ugly american? The fact that I don't hide that I am american you think will offend local residents?
My point was made in the post right before yours above.

You are defending your point, which has been disputed by at least 3 here, I understand that, but don't attack me in the process.
You said "I plan to wear some sort of US military related Tshirt."

Proudly beating the drum to glorify the people who invaded Vietnam, Iraq, Panama, Grenada, and the aspirin factory in Sudan is not high on the list of things that will endear you to people outside the USA.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:05 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,171,633 times
Quote:
Egypt being a strict military/police state has it's advantagies to a tourist. The government of Egypt does not take radical islamic terrorism lightly - those accused of such usually end up in a damp egyptian cell with electodes hooked up to their private areas, or the egyptian police "getting medieval on them" with pliers.
Yup! 'Tis a great motivation to locals when so much of the Egypt's GDP is based on tourism... mess with the tourists and you will be tortured and imprisoned.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
That's clearly uncalled for! I'm going to wear an olive drab tshirt, or a firemans tshirt, and the classifies me as an ugly american?
Don't worry, jtur88 is obsessively caught up in this weird notion that all Americans except him are somehow ugly/naive/ignorant/obnoxious/closed-minded etc. and loves any opportunity to jump into that mode and start lecturing.

You'll be fine, and I'm sure you knew that better than he does.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:22 AM

14,990 posts, read 23,811,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Don't worry, jtur88 is obsessively caught up in this weird notion that all Americans except him are somehow ugly/naive/ignorant/obnoxious/closed-minded etc. and loves any opportunity to jump into that mode and start lecturing.
Yeah, I kind of got the gist of where he was coming from with his last comments on his last post. Commenting on his negative statement about our military "glorify the people who invaded Vietnam, Iraq, Panama, Grenada, and the aspirin factory in Sudan" is beyond the scope of this thread.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:17 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,292,374 times
Quote:

Proudly beating the drum to glorify the people who invaded Vietnam, Iraq, Panama, Grenada, and the aspirin factory in Sudan is not high on the list of things that will endear you to people outside the USA.
Oh, so you're one of those. Hey, if the USA was the sort of Imperialistic, Nation-conquering, colony-building monster that you see to see it as then we'd have 150 states by now. Instead, we see thriving Democracies and thriving economies everywhere we'd gone to liberate people from oprpession (Japan, Germany, Panama, Grenada, Vietnam[not a Democracy but a thriving economy]).

Old 08-06-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Oh, so you're one of those. Hey, if the USA was the sort of Imperialistic, Nation-conquering, colony-building monster that you see to see it as then we'd have 150 states by now. Instead, we see thriving Democracies and thriving economies everywhere we'd gone to liberate people from oprpession (Japan, Germany, Panama, Grenada, Vietnam[not a Democracy but a thriving economy]).
Of all the countries in which the US has been in an armed engagement since 1950, how many of them have you visited? (This is a travel forum, right?) Of all the countries that are now communist or ever have been, how many have you visited? Are you sure you know what their attitudes are about America and its military adventures and its ideas about freedom?

What was the last thing you did that a, say, Vietnamese citizen would have been prohibited from doing because their country is not a "democracy"---besides vote in an election that conservatives think has populated our government with virtual dictators "running our lives".

Are you a "conservative" who wants to "liberalize" Iran? How does that work?

Last edited by jtur88; 08-06-2010 at 09:05 AM..

Old 08-06-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Of all the countries in which the US has been in an armed engagement since 1950, how many of them have you visited?
I've been to both Vietnam and Panama in within the last five years. If count China since we fought them in Korea then I guess I've recently been to three countries we've had armed conflict with.

I'd agree with Dd714, he'll be fine.

Quote:
that conservatives think has populated our government with virtual dictators "running our lives". Are you a "conservative" who wants to "liberalize" Iran? How does that work?
Jesus Christ this isn't the politics forum, it's bad enough you constantly pollute threads with your misguided know-it-all bigoted American bashing, now you're going to start throwing politics into it?

You know what I've found common? The traveler who thinks he knows everything and has been seen everything doesn't know **** and ain't seen ****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel