U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-03-2010, 09:07 PM
 
Location: Bike to Surf!
3,080 posts, read 9,937,572 times
Reputation: 2978

Advertisements

I recently watched a disturbing story about a Canadian citizen who came to Taiwan on a work visa to teach English. He has made an internet blog where he brags about tricking local girls into having sex with him, posting their unedited photographs but screening out his own face. He also has recorded numerous videos of himself dancing obnoxiously in areas with a cultural or religious importance, all while wearing a mask or helmet to hide his identity. Generally, the entire point of his blog is to gain attention by disparaging his host country.

Setting aside the fact that foreign English "Teachers" in Asia are usually unqualified nincompoops who couldn't find a real job to save their lives, this is an extreme example of representing your country badly.

Remember, when you travel abroad, that you are acting as an emmissary of your country and culture. If you behave badly, it reflects badly not only on yourself, but on your home country as well.

The guy in question is an embarrassment to Canada and makes me glad I am not a citizen of that country. If you are a US citizen travelling abroad, please conduct yourself in a becoming manner and don't make the rest of us look bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-03-2010, 10:21 PM
 
Location: Chciago
721 posts, read 2,661,610 times
Reputation: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
I recently watched a disturbing story about a Canadian citizen who came to Taiwan on a work visa to teach English. He has made an internet blog where he brags about tricking local girls into having sex with him, posting their unedited photographs but screening out his own face. He also has recorded numerous videos of himself dancing obnoxiously in areas with a cultural or religious importance, all while wearing a mask or helmet to hide his identity. Generally, the entire point of his blog is to gain attention by disparaging his host country.

Setting aside the fact that foreign English "Teachers" in Asia are usually unqualified nincompoops who couldn't find a real job to save their lives, this is an extreme example of representing your country badly.

Remember, when you travel abroad, that you are acting as an emmissary of your country and culture. If you behave badly, it reflects badly not only on yourself, but on your home country as well.

The guy in question is an embarrassment to Canada and makes me glad I am not a citizen of that country. If you are a US citizen travelling abroad, please conduct yourself in a becoming manner and don't make the rest of us look bad.
Glad you could get off that high horse to come down to the computer and tell us about this...lol.

Don't get me wrong I totally agree with you that many people are idiots at home and abroad and they make us look bad when abroad but taht was kind of a broad statement about people who teach english abroad are idiots who can't get real jobs.

I'm sure there's plenty of idiots but it takes guts to go live in another country so props to people for being open to a different situation. Also, others do it to help people.

You make a good point about representing your country in a good light abroad but your kind of generalizing a huge group of people who teach abraod for a variety of reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2010, 01:26 AM
 
Location: Bike to Surf!
3,080 posts, read 9,937,572 times
Reputation: 2978
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
your kind of generalizing a huge group of people who teach abraod for a variety of reasons.
You're right. My apologies.

I judged a large group of people based on my personal experiences with just a few. I'm sure there are plenty of good English teachers out there who are fluent in the local language and fully qualified and dedicated to their profession.

I've just met several who were more dependant on their western appearance than on any real language skill, and that's left me with an unfavorable impression. Hearing about this guy and noting that he is a language teacher as opposed to a businessman, engineer, or scientist, tipped me into an unfair generalization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2010, 02:02 AM
 
Location: Colorado (PA at heart)
8,897 posts, read 13,645,023 times
Reputation: 11514
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
I recently watched a disturbing story about a Canadian citizen who came to Taiwan on a work visa to teach English. He has made an internet blog where he brags about tricking local girls into having sex with him, posting their unedited photographs but screening out his own face. He also has recorded numerous videos of himself dancing obnoxiously in areas with a cultural or religious importance, all while wearing a mask or helmet to hide his identity. Generally, the entire point of his blog is to gain attention by disparaging his host country.

Setting aside the fact that foreign English "Teachers" in Asia are usually unqualified nincompoops who couldn't find a real job to save their lives, this is an extreme example of representing your country badly.

Remember, when you travel abroad, that you are acting as an emmissary of your country and culture. If you behave badly, it reflects badly not only on yourself, but on your home country as well.

The guy in question is an embarrassment to Canada and makes me glad I am not a citizen of that country. If you are a US citizen travelling abroad, please conduct yourself in a becoming manner and don't make the rest of us look bad.
People like this would behave just as badly in their home country too. Your post isn't going to make someone who is a disrespectful person suddenly change their entire character. In fact, that kind of person would probably just laugh at you and call you lame. Unfortunately, you're wasting your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2010, 04:44 AM
 
Location: The Milky Way Galaxy
2,256 posts, read 6,078,024 times
Reputation: 1511
The US Hockey Team sure didn't represent us well in those Olympics some years ago when they trashed the hotel they were staying at.

But yeah its too much of a generalization and it has more to do with the kind of character the person is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2010, 08:55 AM
 
4,925 posts, read 9,774,488 times
Reputation: 3268
Just further proof that idiocy knows no bounds...or borders, race, creed, or color.

So do we have an "ugly Canadian" stereotype going here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2010, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Houston, Tx
3,644 posts, read 5,558,544 times
Reputation: 1616
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
I recently watched a disturbing story about a Canadian citizen who came to Taiwan on a work visa to teach English. He has made an internet blog where he brags about tricking local girls into having sex with him...
Exactly how is he tricking girls in to having sex with them? Is he telling them that he loves them? Wow, no guy ever does that in this country. In my experience you don't have to try too hard to get Oriental girls (Japan, China, Taiwan) to have sex with you. Just treat them nicely, be friendly, and don't look like an ogre. In Japan there is an expression "Peelingthe clothes off a Japanese club girl is easier than peeling a banana". It's true too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2010, 06:33 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,212,583 times
Reputation: 36087
American: "How come you Canadians always sew your flag on your backpack?"
Canadian: "So people know that we're not Americans."
American: "What's wrong with being an American?"
Canadian: "Why don't you sew your flag on your backpack?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2010, 07:03 PM
 
8,266 posts, read 10,704,378 times
Reputation: 4769
Nah, the nature of that post by jtur88 wasn't predictable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2010, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Bike to Surf!
3,080 posts, read 9,937,572 times
Reputation: 2978
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Exactly how is he tricking girls in to having sex with them? Is he telling them that he loves them? Wow, no guy ever does that in this country. In my experience you don't have to try too hard to get Oriental girls (Japan, China, Taiwan) to have sex with you. Just treat them nicely, be friendly, and don't look like an ogre. In Japan there is an expression "Peelingthe clothes off a Japanese club girl is easier than peeling a banana". It's true too.
I'll try to find a way to keep this from being a personal attack, since I disagree with your stated personal behaviour:

Such experience indicates that the person who believes it's natural that oriental girls are easy for foreigners to sleep with is one of the people who shame their country by their behaviour when travelling abroad. People with this belief should stay at home or learn how to properly behave as a guest in a foreign land before travelling.

If a person don't see anything wrong with using their physical appearance and deceptive words to get someone to have sex with them, then perhaps they should re-examine their morals. Just because some might practice such despicable behaviour in their home country, does not mean it's okay, or that it's fine to do the same thing when they are a guest in another country. Their actions do reflect badly on their home country, their family, and their culture and thus bring shame to the rest of us. There's no two ways about it. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

As a westerner in some countries, a person is often extended the benefit of being an honored guest. To take advantage of that position shows immaturity and poor judgement. If you do not know how to properly behave as a guest, then please stay home.


The original rude person referred to in the first post is an extreme example of poorly representing your homeland, later comments are less extreme, but still evidence poor judgement and shameful action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top