U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 04:40 PM

3,059 posts, read 3,230,998 times

Advertisements

When my wife and I travel, we always strive to see as much of the "old country" as possible. We live by the notion, that if we are in a country that does not predominately speak English, we take a guided tour. If the country is predominately a English speaking country, we travel on our own. Are there others out there that do the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 06:20 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,325,418 times
If a person intends to do quite a bit of overseas travel during his lifetime, I think it is crucial to, fairly early on, go on an unguided, unplanned tour, in order to establish your sense of confidence that you CAN to it. Just buy an air ticket to some overseas country, and see what it is like to go day to day making your plans and arranging your travel and accommodations on the fly.

You may find that it's not your style. OK, then, you know, and you can stop wondering, and resume your guided tour. At worst, you can get there, become disgusted with self-guided, and go to a travel agency and buy a guided tour on the spot to cover the remainder of your vacation.

I've always felt that you can't go traveling looking for adventure. You can only go there and let adventure find to you. The worst things that happen to you will be your richest memories.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:24 PM

2,065 posts, read 4,182,977 times
No guided tours at all for me, I have wonderful trip memories simply by planning a lot in advance, but always going places by myself.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:40 PM

3,080 posts, read 9,947,598 times
Never a guided tour, no matter the language.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:50 PM

8,240 posts, read 15,255,229 times
I like to just wander around with a good guidebook and sense of adventure and friendliness. I really don't like big groups, tour buses or guides, but some people need that.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:51 PM

721 posts, read 2,665,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
When my wife and I travel, we always strive to see as much of the "old country" as possible. We live by the notion, that if we are in a country that does not predominately speak English, we take a guided tour. If the country is predominately a English speaking country, we travel on our own. Are there others out there that do the same?
In many places it's just not practical or safe to rent a car and drive around by yourself.

Rather than go on a guided group tour however you can just hire a private driver, usually cheaper than organized tours to. Plus you can go wherever you want stay as long as you want etc.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:12 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,325,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
In many places it's just not practical or safe to rent a car and drive around by yourself.
But there are local buses, which is how everyone else there gets around.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:06 AM

10,664 posts, read 7,974,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
No guided tours at all for me, I have wonderful trip memories simply by planning a lot in advance, but always going places by myself.
Same here. We like to do things at our own pace!

Old 08-05-2010, 08:26 AM

3,059 posts, read 3,230,998 times
Hmmm....some interesting responses. We do like to travel by ourselves alot. It's just in certain countries, we feel safer with a guide(Kuwait is one) than without one.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:15 AM

12,327 posts, read 18,433,096 times
The primarly language should not be the reason for guided vs. unguided. What about a country like the Netherlands where it seems that 99% percent of the population speaks excellent English? We Americans are spoiled on that point - if you know English, you are already set for world travel. It's the language of tourism.

But, there are indeed some countries where unguided travel is not logistically easy, or just a hassle. Mostly in 3rd world countries that don't have a well developed tourism infrastructure. You can still do it, but it just adds an element of hassle into what should be a stress free holiday. Some middle eastern and asian countries are like that. It's a toss up, unguided travel adds an element of suprise to a visit, and one has a more rewarding travel experience. I can't imagine however why one whould need a guide in the visitor-friendly countries of Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or