U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 05:18 AM

634 posts, read 1,499,688 times

Advertisements

I love my 30 days off per Year!!!

melanie / germany
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 01:01 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,025,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieGermany View Post
I love my 30 days off per Year!!!

melanie / germany

Same here ! Life is about more than just work. Hubby gets 31 days off a year plus the national/bank holidays and up to three days off a month in overtime if he works extra hours. Which means we can actually enjoy our travels and not simply do Europe in a week like many people I see from the US.

Work/Life balance is what it is about and I like the fact that we have a set minimum in Europe which everybody gets regardless of their status. Anyone who works has the right to recreation.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:39 PM

2,381 posts, read 7,767,037 times
Some of us in the USA get reasonable amounts of paid time off, depending on the employer and years of work at the employer.

I have worked at a large privately owned telecom (non union) for a bit over 10 years. I get 4 weeks (20 work days) vacation, 6 "floating holidays" and 6 "sick days". If I don't get sick (never had a sick day in my 30+ years of work) I can take the sick days as vacation days. That's about 6 1/2 weeks paid time off. We get 7 official holidays (New Years, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving + day after, Christmas). I work 5 days per week, no more than 8 hours a day. I don't use blackberry or PC for "work at home" either. This gives me a pretty decent work / life balance and is comparable to what many workers get in many places in Europe, except my pay in the US for a comparable engineering job is about 30 percent higher.

Many people in the US "public sector" jobs (government employees) get very generous amounts of time off, and I am not referring to just school teachers. Most government employees that I know with over 10 years service get around 4 weeks off, in addition to far more official holidays than private sector employees.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Some of us in the USA get reasonable amounts of paid time off, depending on the employer and years of work at the employer.

I have worked at a large privately owned telecom (non union) for a bit over 10 years. I get 4 weeks (20 work days) vacation, 6 "floating holidays" and 6 "sick days". If I don't get sick (never had a sick day in my 30+ years of work) I can take the sick days as vacation days. That's about 6 1/2 weeks paid time off. We get 7 official holidays (New Years, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving + day after, Christmas). I work 5 days per week, no more than 8 hours a day. I don't use blackberry or PC for "work at home" either. This gives me a pretty decent work / life balance and is comparable to what many workers get in many places in Europe, except my pay in the US for a comparable engineering job is about 30 percent higher.

Many people in the US "public sector" jobs (government employees) get very generous amounts of time off, and I am not referring to just school teachers. Most government employees that I know with over 10 years service get around 4 weeks off, in addition to far more official holidays than private sector employees.

The operative word though is "some". In Europe ALL workers ( private or public sector, makes no difference) get a minimum ( 4 weeks I think PLUS all National and Bank Holidays). Also one should not get penalised for being sick . Being ill is not something which should dictate how many holidays anyone actually get. People cannot be sacked for no reason whatsoever.

Also speaking to many American friends it seems a lot of people with relatively generous paid vacation are worried about taking it off in case their boss thinks them lazy and they end up on the unemployment list. Nobody should ever have to worry about that.

To me work is work whether you are a janitor or a CEO. You do your hours you should be paid a decent living wage for it and have a minimum of benefits so that being workign class does not mean exploited.

I have always hated exploitation. Nobody should be employed "at will" for example, an evil system opened to the worst of abuses. The employer should not be King. Both employers and employees should have rights. It's a question of balance.

A waitress should not have to depend on tips for her survival. She does a job , her employer should pay her a decent wage she can live on. She should be entitled to a minimum reasonable paid vacation.

Sick pay should be for employees who are sick. Maternity pay should be for women who are pregnant.

We need the people at the "bottom" of the social pile as much as those at the top. Nobody to pick up our garbage, clean our hotel rooms, build our cars , make the clothes we wear and our society would collapse.

A little fairness and social justice is no bad thing IMO. All workers should be entitled to dignity of work conditions, safe working conditions, decent living wage, decent benefits and the right to recreation.

Time to narrow the gap between the obscenely rich and the obscenely poor and redress some of the system.

I believe in Capitalism but prefer a much more benevolent one which recognises the fact that ALL of us in society have our own role to play and that we should not exploit and economically enslave others. Nobody becomes a multi-billionaire by never stepping on anyone or exploiting them.

Rabid capitalism is just as evil as communism . Both are twisted extremes and distort the value of human beings. One by denying individuality, the other by by only believing in survival of the fittest. The follow a vicious circle and end up meeting each other in their opression of humanity . I despise both systems with every fibre of my being.

If we had a level playing field of socio-economic opportunities then rampant capitalism might be slightly more justified ( though I would personally still have issues with it) but we do not and as such it is intellectually disngenuous to claim that wealth and success is only achieved by the deserving. It is not .

Old 08-09-2010, 06:03 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,928,266 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
The operative word though is "some".
Also speaking to many American friends it seems a lot of people with relatively generous paid vacation are worried about taking it off in case their boss thinks them lazy and they end up on the unemployment list. Nobody should ever have to worry about that.

To me work is work whether you are a janitor or a CEO.
I have always hated exploitation. Nobody should be employed "at will" for example, an evil system opened to the worst of abuses. The employer should not be King. Both employers and employees should have rights. It's a question of balance.

We need the people at the "bottom" of the social pile as much as those at the top. All workers should be entitled to dignity of work conditions, safe working conditions, decent living wage, decent benefits and the right to recreation.

I believe in Capitalism but prefer a much more benevolent one which recognises the fact that ALL of us in society have our own role to play and that we should not exploit and economically enslave others....

it is intellectually disngenuous to claim that wealth and success is only achieved by the deserving. It is not .
Yes indeed.

These days it sometimes feels as if we are living in a sort of feudal system.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:36 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,464,035 times
The last boss I had stated attitude and good attendance were high priorities.

He stated you can be the most productive person, but if you have a bad attitude it spreads like cancer.

attendance-----he stated you can be the best worker with the best attitude, however, if you are absent it benefits the employer none.

Smart boss.
I agree.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
The last boss I had stated attitude and good attendance were high priorities.

He stated you can be the most productive person, but if you have a bad attitude it spreads like cancer.

attendance-----he stated you can be the best worker with the best attitude, however, if you are absent it benefits the employer none.

Smart boss.
I agree.

I would have thought productivity and quality of output to be far more important than attendence. If you work 120 hours a week but badly , inefficiently and are constantly demoralised then I suspect you won't be much good for anything.

Also bad work conditions lead to worse health and higher turnaround of staff.

Staff morale and health seems to be a fairly crucial asset unless of course one subscribes to Dickensian times attitude of "there's always another slave to replace the fallen one" ( which aggressive capitalism does of course , "Survival of the fittest" once again and "stuff the vulnerable" ).

I would prefer to engender loyalty by treating and paying my employees better and making maybe a little less in profit.

Profits are great but once again to me it's about balance. In the UK for example we have a very, very successful supermaket and department store called the John Lewis Partnership ( which has now branched out into banking, insurance and travel agencies) which is a co-operative. It is hugely successful , very posh and does extremely well. Does it do as well as Walmart ? Absolutely not.

But what it produces is of high quality, it has business ethics, treats its employees better than other huge corporations , and was a leader in the introduction of fair trade and ethical concepts in retailing. It makes profits but does not bleed everyone dry in the process. Not a perfect company but to me a pretty good model nonetheless.

It has a high retention of staff level and they all feel they have a stake in the company which means they offer better service and their product is of higher quality.

It also means the consumers like myself find it a lot easier to chose where to shop. Ethical versus unbridled greed, I know which one I will back. They do make high profits but the employees benefit from this rather than being simply pushed out of the way by greedy CEOS and trampled into exploitative oblivion.

Nothing wrong with profits as long as you still remember who's helped you to acquire those and as long as you reward all those who work for you fairly and treat them with respect.

Certain rights have to be enshrined by law because quite simply if they are not those at the top will simply never treat others with anything but the contempt of a feudal overlord over serfs.

The rights we have gained in the last few decades such as voting rights for Black people and Women were not given to us. They were fought for tooth and nail and we would still have a society based on slavery and sexual inequity if it wasn't for the dedication and hard graft of social activists and workers.

Rampant capitalists believe in nothing but money and power and unless legally forced to ensure a certain level of dignity for their workers most would still be treating them like animals.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:47 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,464,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I would have thought productivity and quality of output to be far more important than attendence. If you work 120 hours a week but badly , inefficiently and are constantly demoralised then I suspect you won't be much good for anything.

Also bad work conditions lead to worse health and higher turnaround of staff.

Staff morale and health seems to be a fairly crucial asset unless of course one subscribes to Dickensian times attitude of "there's always another slave to replace the fallen one" ( which aggressive capitalism does of course , "Survival of the fittest" once again and "stuff the vulnerable" ).

I would prefer to engender loyalty by treating and paying my employees better and making maybe a little less in profit.

Profits are great but once again to me it's about balance. In the UK for example we have a very, very successful supermaket and department store called the John Lewis Partnership ( which has now branched out into banking, insurance and travel agencies) which is a co-operative. It is hugely successful , very posh and does extremely well. Does it do as well as Walmart ? Absolutely not.

But what it produces is of high quality, it has business ethics, treats its employees better than other huge corporations , and was a leader in the introduction of fair trade and ethical concepts in retailing. It makes profits but does not bleed everyone dry in the process. Not a perfect company but to me a pretty good model nonetheless.

It has a high retention of staff level and they all feel they have a stake in the company which means they offer better service and their product is of higher quality.

It also means the consumers like myself find it a lot easier to chose where to shop. Ethical versus unbridled greed, I know which one I will back. They do make high profits but the employees benefit from this rather than being simply pushed out of the way by greedy CEOS and trampled into exploitative oblivion.

Nothing wrong with profits as long as you still remember who's helped you to acquire those and as long as you reward all those who work for you fairly and treat them with respect.

Certain rights have to be enshrined by law because quite simply if they are not those at the top will simply never treat others with anything but the contempt of a feudal overlord over serfs.

The rights we have gained in the last few decades such as voting rights for Black people and Women were not given to us. They were fought for tooth and nail and we would still have a society based on slavery and sexual inequity if it wasn't for the dedication and hard graft of social activists and workers.

Rampant capitalists believe in nothing but money and power and unless legally forced to ensure a certain level of dignity for their workers most would still be treating them like animals.

Once again a poster tries to " muddy the waters" to my post by stating----120 hours a week-

I am referring to places that work 40-50 hours a week and expect employees to be there to work those 8-10 hour days.

By the way--------my boss wouldn't pay a worker who works --badly--80 hours of overtime pay.

A worker who works---badly--would get the ax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel