U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2010, 09:26 AM

4,308 posts, read 11,801,772 times

Advertisements

Airline Fees, Often Hidden, Test Travelers’ Limits - NYTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 11:06 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,410,022 times
"When I recently flew from New York City to Detroit on Delta Airlines, I had a three-hour layover before my flight to Traverse City, Mich., so I tried to get on an earlier flight. But Delta no longer offers free standby travel; instead, you can pay $50 for a confirmed seat on an earlier flight."

I just read this in the article and this is completely false! We were recently (early July) flying through SLC to SAN and were supposed to be in SLC for a 2 hr layover. We noticed that a flight was leaving for SAN in 45 minutes and went to that gate to see if we can get on early. We sure did, with no fee, because we have elite status with Delta. Once you establish some kind of ff status with an airline, all these fees are waived. In fact, we got some standby people bumped from this flight even though they were there long before we arrived at the gate, since we had elite status and they did not. Even if I checked bags, which I don't, I wouldn't pay on Delta due to my status. They only give one side in this article and I didn't see people with status mentioned anywhere in the article.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:59 AM

3,644 posts, read 5,559,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
[i]

We noticed that a flight was leaving for SAN in 45 minutes and went to that gate to see if we can get on early. We sure did, with no fee, because we have elite status with Delta. Once you establish some kind of ff status with an airline, all these fees are waived. In fact, we got some standby people bumped from this flight even though they were there long before we arrived at the gate, since we had elite status and they did not. Even if I checked bags, which I don't, I wouldn't pay on Delta due to my status.
Boy, I bet that made you feel good.

Quote:
They only give one side in this article and I didn't see people with status mentioned anywhere in the article.
Probably because those people are less than 1% of the population. Most travelers book the ticket that is the cheapest regardless of which airline it is on. Consistantly picking one airline would mean paying a higher price many times.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:00 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,184,676 times
Having status does help. I dont pay of checking in luggage on American Airlines, i get the exit row etc.. But people with status deserve these things of course since they are loyal to the airline and give them busisness often.

However most people a good probably 80-85% are not people who have status or fly often enough to even have the chance. But fees are fees. And people have to deal with them. They want cheap tickets then there you go. You get what you pay for.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:23 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,410,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Boy, I bet that made you feel good.

Probably because those people are less than 1% of the population. Most travelers book the ticket that is the cheapest regardless of which airline it is on. Consistantly picking one airline would mean paying a higher price many times.
We have spent so much money flying with Delta over the years, that I truly don't feel bad. Think what you want, we earned the right to be treated differently by shelling out thousands of dollars for their airline over the years and they recognize that by offering some awesome incentives, this just being one of them.

While, as you mentioned, most people go with the cheapest, we are loyal customers to Delta and they recognize that. There is nothing wrong with that, this is why the program exists in the first place, no need for the eye roll! There were many instances where JB or AA were much cheaper, yet we would never step foot onto those airlines again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or