Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 07:56 PM

25 posts, read 94,323 times

Advertisements

hey!

My intuition (and my mom) are telling me this is crazy... but here it goes.

I need help figuring out whether this proposed road trip is a) feasible b) really THAT dangerous or c) possible, (based on what you recommend which roads to take).

I myself am going to be a senior in high school (18 years old) and I want to drive from Los Angeles to Montreal from around December 17 to get back around the 2nd (3rd or 4th).

First of all, the contents of the car will be: Myself, my friend (same age), my brother (24 years old) and his wife (23 years old). The car is a Dodge Nitro 2008 in great condition.

So... firstly, how long will it take? Which route do we take? Google maps is telling me i-15 to either 1) i-80 2) i-70 and 3) i-40. We want to get there in like 3 days (we'll switch shifts) - from what my intuition is telling me, the winter will delay us. Should we even bother doing a northern route? Will we die on this road trip? With this route, should even aspire to make it in that time frame (i can't miss too much school).

So yeah - what do we do? Where do we go? How do we go? Should we go!?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 09:54 PM

367 posts, read 1,073,710 times
If none of you driving are familiar with driving on snow/ice, I would not do it. And by familiar, I mean driving on snowy and icy roads several times, every winter and every year.
Basically, if you are all native Angelinos - no, sorry, don't do it.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:25 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_bd View Post
If none of you driving are familiar with driving on snow/ice, I would not do it. And by familiar, I mean driving on snowy and icy roads several times, every winter and every year.
Basically, if you are all native Angelinos - no, sorry, don't do it.
As a native Californian from Los Angeles ... I concur with this advice. OP, Do you have any experience driving up through Big Bear, Tahachapi or any other area during the snowy seasons? If not, then this trip would not be a good idea.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:33 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
News Flash - people in the north do drive in the winter time. There are inventions called snow plows, and stuff that melts the ice, and stuff to aid in traction.

You are talking like you are going to drive to the arctic circle in the frozen arctic wastelands with you and only Nanuck of the North on the road. See all those truck on the LA highway in winter? They have just crossed the same route you are talking about, tens of thousands of them, every day of the year.

It's a long long drive, that's your concern. Get your car in shape, check your tires. Watch the weather channel a few days before leaving for bad weather and avoid those areas. Stay on the interstates. Get the forecasts for the mountain passes, and you will do fine.

And, by the way, don't post this in every forum looking for a response. I am pretty sure that's a TOS violation.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:08 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,302,789 times
I wouldn't do it. I'm from Miami and all of my friends that moved up north had an accident during their first winter. Driving long distance when you may be tired on wintery roads is asking for trouble. Is flying not an option?

Old 08-06-2010, 08:48 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
It's doable.

Doing it on a set,tight schedule in winter would be tough, though.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:11 AM

367 posts, read 1,073,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
News Flash - people in the north do drive in the winter time. There are inventions called snow plows, and stuff that melts the ice, and stuff to aid in traction.

You are talking like you are going to drive to the arctic circle in the frozen arctic wastelands with you and only Nanuck of the North on the road. See all those truck on the LA highway in winter? They have just crossed the same route you are talking about, tens of thousands of them, every day of the year.

It's a long long drive, that's your concern. Get your car in shape, check your tires. Watch the weather channel a few days before leaving for bad weather and avoid those areas. Stay on the interstates. Get the forecasts for the mountain passes, and you will do fine.

And, by the way, don't post this in every forum looking for a response. I am pretty sure that's a TOS violation.
And you missed my key point - the examples you mention are all used to snow and ice and know how to deal with it. I doubt these kids are used to it. When you are driving into a snow storm, you're not going to find a snow plow every 5 miles. And driving in snow and ice is a skill you don't pick up in 2 days.

If you decide to go against good advice, at least make sure you have good threads on all tires, hopefully they don't all stiffen up in cold weather. Make sure your radiator has enough anti-freeze to withstand the winter temps and that you have snow chains and know how to use them/put them on safely.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:37 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_bd View Post
And you missed my key point - the examples you mention are all used to snow and ice and know how to deal with it. I doubt these kids are used to it. When you are driving into a snow storm, you're not going to find a snow plow every 5 miles. And driving in snow and ice is a skill you don't pick up in 2 days.

If you decide to go against good advice, at least make sure you have good threads on all tires, hopefully they don't all stiffen up in cold weather. Make sure your radiator has enough anti-freeze to withstand the winter temps and that you have snow chains and know how to use them/put them on safely.
Yes that is a point. You have inexperienced drivers but I see that as a factor in the entire long drive, not just in winter weather driving. But another thing, we get these posts dozens of times in the fall "what route do I take in winter going from xx to xx" it's almost epedimic. In late december I-15 to I-70 - chances are 95% of the route will be snow free. You can look at any "chances of a white christmas" map to deduct that. Certainly in the mountain passes and as she approaches up state NY she will run into the white stuff. But if you play the odds it will be clear and snow free for 95% of the route...now, there is a 10% chance it could be a blizzard somewhere on her track, in the fall it could be a tornado, in the south in the summer it could be a hurricane, in California she might be swallowed up by a earthquake. You can easily avoid bad wheater (the 10% blizzard chance) by simple watching the weather channel and diverting the route a few hundered miles to the north or south.

I think most of her (or his) trouble won't be in driving up or back, at least not related to weather, but in driving and negotiating Quebec streets. I wonder if she realizes she needs a passport or equivalent?

Old 08-06-2010, 01:42 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Yes that is a point. You have inexperienced drivers but I see that as a factor in the entire long drive, not just in winter weather driving. But another thing, we get these posts dozens of times in the fall "what route do I take in winter going from xx to xx" it's almost epedimic. In late december I-15 to I-70 - chances are 95% of the route will be snow free. You can look at any "chances of a white christmas" map to deduct that. Certainly in the mountain passes and as she approaches up state NY she will run into the white stuff. But if you play the odds it will be clear and snow free for 95% of the route...now, there is a 10% chance it could be a blizzard somewhere on her track, in the fall it could be a tornado, in the south in the summer it could be a hurricane, in California she might be swallowed up by a earthquake. You can easily avoid bad wheater (the 10% blizzard chance) by simple watching the weather channel and diverting the route a few hundered miles to the north or south.

I think most of her (or his) trouble won't be in driving up or back, at least not related to weather, but in driving and negotiating Quebec streets. I wonder if she realizes she needs a passport or equivalent?
How often are segments of freeways shut down for----- tornados,hurricanes, earthquakes ?

Many segments of freeways do get shut down due to visibility conditions in winter.

If one is on a tight,set, schedule that would be a problem.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:50 PM

171 posts, read 670,097 times
I also assume you and your friends have the appropriate passport or passport card that is now required to travel to Canada?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel