U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 10:04 PM

576 posts, read 1,110,306 times

Advertisements

Drove from Sioux Falls, SD to Rapid City SD today. Lots of construction and delays along the way, and the Badlands didn't impress me much because I am more of a greenery/water/mountain person. Thought I wasted the $15 entrance fee. The lady at the entrance cheerfully said "valid for 7 days" when I asked her if I by myself had to pay the same price as cars with families in them.

Then saw Rushmore and went through eastern Wyoming and it was gorgeous country. I already felt like it was Lord of the Rings victorianpunk.

Wondering if I should stay in Bozeman, Butte or Missoula tomorrow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 10:59 PM

9,627 posts, read 23,828,844 times
Missoula is supposed to be pretty hip and fun.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:35 AM

Hey thanks Ira. That is where I ended up staying overnight. They had a neat festival going on, and a turbulent river with a rapid near the festival with swimmers and rafters. Seattle today, finally!

Old 08-20-2010, 11:10 AM

370 posts, read 933,538 times
I see you are on your way here. There is going to be a an Indian Kite flying festival on Sunday in Bellevue from 3-6 PM at the Mary Moor park.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:33 PM

Hey thanks nfdsouza. Will try to stop by.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:27 AM

19 posts, read 58,817 times
i think i will doing this drive in 2 weeks sept 8th however i will be driving a 26 foot penske truck and towing a car as well as have a dog and cat with me

any advice??? i may be doing it alone for part of it

im leaving from greensboro, Nc and my only stops i knwo i want to to do is

deals gap on my way out so i run my motard down that road

mt rushmore and badlands after that whats good to do

i am a lil concerened about the rockies coming down in a 26 footer and trailer anyone have any experience

thanks

Old 08-22-2010, 07:38 PM

Overall, the drive was fairly easy for me except for the last hour or so, which is almost all downhill. I was going at 65-70 mph for much of this last hour of consistent descent into Seattle, and yet people in the slowest lane would be going at 75 mph. For most of my trip, I was frequently overtaking people, and here, almost everyone seemed to be going faster than me.

My biggest problem during the trip was that my new GPS did not stick to my windshield, and I had to put in on the top of a box on the passenger seat. It slided off every once in a while. I recommend you buy a GPS and a GPS bean bag to stick the machine to the dashboard.

I would not dare drive with a pickup truck hauling a car for that distance, but many people were driving with large attachments, RVs etc... during my trip.

Good luck!

Old 08-22-2010, 11:17 PM

13 posts, read 25,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smi2710 View Post
i think i will doing this drive in 2 weeks sept 8th however i will be driving a 26 foot penske truck and towing a car as well as have a dog and cat with me

any advice??? i may be doing it alone for part of it

im leaving from greensboro, Nc and my only stops i knwo i want to to do is

deals gap on my way out so i run my motard down that road

mt rushmore and badlands after that whats good to do

i am a lil concerened about the rockies coming down in a 26 footer and trailer anyone have any experience

thanks
A week ago we drove from Chicago to Seattle via I-94 and I-90. My partner was driving a 24-foot rental truck and I drove our car with our two cats.

Overall, it went well and we made it through the mountains OK. (Aside from the yelling of two seriously unhappy cats!) However, we were not towing a car.

You probably already know this: in some states, trucks have a lower speed limit than cars. Also, in most states, you will have to pull in to weigh stations. I had received conflicting information about whether we had to stop at weight stations so, to be safe, we always did.

Depending on how much power your rental truck has and how much weight you are hauling, you may find yourself averaging a much lower speed and having poorer acceleration than expected in the mountains. On the worst grades, our rental truck was down to about 45mph. We were very glad that we were not towing our car.

There were several stretches in Montana and, I think, Idaho with curves with speed limits posted at 55mph - you should take these seriously driving a truck of that size. Ditto for maintaining a controlled speed on the long downhill grades. We did not have any problems with overheating brakes.

We averaged about 550 - 600 miles per day - significantly less than if it had been just the two of us in one car. With the truck and two cats, that worked out about right for us. We planned our route in advance and made reservations at "pet-friendly" motels. The Dakotas, in particular, do not have a lot of accommodations and it may be wise to book in advance when traveling with pets.

Also on the lodging front, we found that some motels did not have good parking lots for bigger trucks, although it seemed like most motels right on the interstate had adequate parking. If you are reserving in advance, you might want to ask about parking before booking a room.

Finally, Penske is a good choice; we regret that we went with Budget and have heard only good things about Penske.

Good luck!

Old 08-23-2010, 06:02 AM

29 posts, read 63,648 times
I'm doing a similar drive from Atlanta alone next week (kinda nervous as the longest distance I've driven alone was from Boston to Atlanta). I have the option of going either I-70 (Kansas City, Denver, Salt Lake City, Boise, and then Seattle); I-80 (KC, Cheyenne, SLC, and then Seattle); or I-90 (KC, Sioux Falls, Bozeman, and then Seattle).

The driving times seem comparable, but as far as scenery, any opinions on which is more exciting/adventurous? Wanna definitely get to see all the varying landscapes of the U.S.!!

Old 08-23-2010, 10:20 AM

13,237 posts, read 24,424,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse0915 View Post
I'm doing a similar drive from Atlanta alone next week (kinda nervous as the longest distance I've driven alone was from Boston to Atlanta). I have the option of going either I-70 (Kansas City, Denver, Salt Lake City, Boise, and then Seattle); I-80 (KC, Cheyenne, SLC, and then Seattle); or I-90 (KC, Sioux Falls, Bozeman, and then Seattle).

The driving times seem comparable, but as far as scenery, any opinions on which is more exciting/adventurous? Wanna definitely get to see all the varying landscapes of the U.S.!!
I-70 is good through the CO/UT mountains, pretty boring through E CO and W KS though. I-90 is fun, but Montana can get pretty long (this is the one I would choose), but the scenery is best IMO.

I-80 is pretty desolate through WY, I wouldn't recommend it over the other two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or