U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 12:20 PM

3,644 posts, read 5,564,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
It will take about a year, but this guy will have his job back. You can't fire crazy people.
Are you kidding??? Having a crazy person on a plane (or one with just serious anger management issues) is as much a risk to the safety of the passengers as an irate passenger and the pilot doesn't hesitate for a second to divert the plane to the nearest airport to have an irate passenger arrested. I smell a double standard. I think we should hold flight attendants to AT LEAST the same level that we hold the flying public to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 01:02 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,422,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Are you kidding??? Having a crazy person on a plane (or one with just serious anger management issues) is as much a risk to the safety of the passengers as an irate passenger and the pilot doesn't hesitate for a second to divert the plane to the nearest airport to have an irate passenger arrested. I smell a double standard. I think we should hold flight attendants to AT LEAST the same level that we hold the flying public to.

So, if someone has a meltdown on a plane they can never go on one again?

Old 08-10-2010, 02:24 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,936,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
I think we should hold flight attendants to AT LEAST the same level that we hold the flying public to.
i actually agree with you.
I work with young children, and if I did something crazy like the FA did I would be vilified.
The thing is, the guy flipped out with such style.
Love how he grabbed the beer on the way out.
I wonder what his co-workers thought? Were they resentful or sympathetic?

Old 08-10-2010, 02:47 PM

3,644 posts, read 5,564,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
So, if someone has a meltdown on a plane they can never go on one again?
They shouldn't be onthe plane holding a job, one of the duties of which is to see to the safety of passengers. That IS why they are there according to regulations. It's not really to pass out drinks and pillows. It's probably the only reason the airlines haven't done away with flight attendants as I bet they would like to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
The thing is, the guy flipped out with such style.
LOL. Yeah, I know. It's hard to to laugh and I'm not saying the guy should do prison time I just don't think he should be a FA again. I mean, I think he was pretty much saying he didn't want to be one anymore with his exit. Oh, and I think he needs to pay at least partial compensation for the cost to reset the slide, which is quite expensive.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:46 AM

2,003 posts, read 4,398,943 times
Default Americans be nasty

The American people -especially those on the coasts- are the most entitled, arrogant and nasty people to endure on a daily basis. There was a time when I worked with the public at airports from coast to coast.

During this four year period I was punched by a drunk guy, spit at by someone who was late to the airport and could not deal with the fact that the flight was not going to hold for him. Other people disobeyed instructions and ran through airport doors and then there was the hijacker with the 9MM that wanted to go to the Antarctic. Other than those "big ticket" physical attacks there were daily small incidents of disrespect of being cursed at for not sitting with friends or not being able to check in a 120 lb bag for your three day trip to Fort Lauderdale. Then there were the thieves who try to scam for everything with their tales of "diamonds stolen in a checked bag" or the daily people who make up stories and then demand a free upgrade to first class.

Being that I am a tall, strong and muscular man my appearance sheltered me from the the worst of American behavior. However my female colleagues faced the worst of it. These hard working ladies were often propositioned to "suck something" after the flight or were fondled on the airplane. The homosexuals were often called fagots right to their face. Long story short as nasty as the American public thinks flying is, the American public is much nastier than the people that work the Airline industry.

Fares need to double to make flying civil again. Back in 1982 it was $200 to fly from New York to Florida on Eastern Airlines. Here we are almost 30 years later and it still is about $200 to fly from New York to Florida. The real value of flying this far that fast is worth much more than the fare.

Now all of the people that should be riding a bus are at the airport; these people are polluting the skies with their nasty attitudes and overinflated sense of ego. Materialism has left them in a perpetual state of entitlement. they expect a world where everything is perfect at all times. Planes should operate on time all the time even in tornadoes, thunderstorms and hurricanes. If these planes are not on-time the consumer has the "right" to curse out and tell off whoever they like.

The American public are the customers from hell. They think they are always right; since they are always right they can treat anybody with a uniform anyway they like and since they paid a few bucks they are always right. A $69 ticket to Fort Lauderdale does not give you the right to treat people like dog sh*t. Americans need to send their kids to work these jobs as teens or young adults so they can put themselves in someone else's shoes and not just view life from the point of view of the "always right" consumer.

This FA has provided the wake up call that it is not right to treat workers like crap. The FA should be freed, given a holiday to some homosexual resort while the passenger who hit him with her luggage is locked in a cage at the airport and exposed to airport workers wielding water pistols, foam bats and used barf bags.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:30 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,936,227 times
I agree with some of what you say, Samyn.
I don't think that all people "who should be riding on a bus" have a monopoly on crude, entitled behavior. There are plenty of thugs in suits.

Fares are already going up, and with the unbundling of various services, things are rapidly changing. Maybe airlines will ultimately be a two or even three tiered choice.

I know a few people who even rent planes/pilots. (No, I am not in their league.)

Perhaps Mr. Slater has opened up a new dialogue. We shall see.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d132/Capresesalad/SlaterExit.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-11-2010, 05:00 AM

19,406 posts, read 17,510,233 times
This is a tough call. Its one big shade of grey. One the one hand, the guy looks like he's high strung so he may have over reacted. He certainly didn't act professionally, cursing everybody on the plane and exiting the way he did. Then he's from New York so that puts his attitude into question. But we don't know who the nitwit was that opened the overhead compartment and hit him on the head or how bad he got injured. And the passenger was apparently a loud mouth, she cursed him out and was impatient belligerent and is also a New Yorker, apparently. I've been in situations where the only way to avoid decking somebody or biting their head off verbally was to walk away. And if you can't just walk away, you may have to take matters into your hands and jump out a window, LOL. And people can only take so much stress.
And then there's the crappy way airline passengers are treated these days. And the idiotic way people are growing up, listening to their IPODS, yakking on their cell phones, computers, and not learning patience or manners or civility. There's no longer any socialization going on. And so many people are drugged out legally or illegally and told that self esteem is all important. That's a load of crap. Kids these days need to be punished and yelled at by their parents and well meaning strangers.
I want both parties in this altercation and the airline to be paraded around on national TV and have everybody confront these issues of idiotic behavior. I'd certainly fire the guy after what he did but also ban that doltish woman from flying that airline again. But criminal charges, that's ridiculous. I think even the police might have to be called out to explain some of their actions. Common sense people, everybody has to stop with the nincompoopery.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:35 AM

2,756 posts, read 5,327,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
SouthRange is exactly right. The Union will back this guy and he will be evaluated and possibly get his job back.

What he did is wrong. Period. If a person can't handle the stress of the job, they need to find another job. And this job can be very, very stressful. We deal with obnoxious people on a regular basis. They often think the rules don't apply to them. They ignore/ break the rules frequently (especially the ones about electronic devices/cell phones, etc) People: THERE IS A REASON THOSE RULES ARE IN PLACE! They are for YOUR safety and the safety of those around you.

This FA clearly snapped. Blowing a slide on purpose, cursing on the PA, even taking the beer are all reasons for dismissal. Will he get his job back? Stay tuned.
After all of this publicity, he probably won't need his job back.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:27 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,233,440 times
i think we should discontinue the "flight attendant". they are obsolete and we need a more authentic American solution to travel.

Airlines should instead hire unemployed blue-collar workers, construction workers, manual laborers.. put them in dusters, hats, and boots, and let them patrol the aisles as "Cowboys".

the Cowboys' job would be to manage the herd. if a passenger is acting out of line, they come by and grab them by the back of the neck and wrestle them down to the floor, or hogtie them if they get too unruly. if a passenger is moving too slow, fumbling around taking forever to stow their baggage, holding up the line, then a cowboy will come by and shock them with a cattle prod. You know, "just keepin' the herd in line 'til we get to Kansas City."

when passengers get thirsty, they can just come along with a little water trough on wheels. anyone who paid extra for an aisle seat will have the opportunity to lean over and take a drink, as it makes its way by.

i believe this will further cut costs for the airlines.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:38 PM

32,108 posts, read 33,017,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
I'm willing to bet that criminal charges will be dropped after the mental evaluation.

This guy is going to get a long paid vacation, and then he will get his job back.

I'm saying that as an airline employee that has seen people go crazy, and get their job back on more than one occasion. We always say that if the crazy guy hits you, make sure that you flop on the floor, and pee yourself. The company will have to pay because they knew he was crazy.
I doubt he will get his job back but he probably will have money generated due this publicity.
But he might be asked to pay damages to cover the airline's cost of deploying the emergency chute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or