Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 02:13 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times

Advertisements

A JetBlue flight attendant apparently upset with an uncooperative passenger on a just-landed flight unleashed a profanity-laden tirade on the public-address system, pulled the emergency-exit chute, slid off the plane and fled Kennedy International Airport, a law enforcement official said
Air travel certainly can be stressful these days!
*link*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 02:45 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Can't really blame him - he probably has to deal with aholes like that all the time and finally just snapped.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:22 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
20 years as a FA and the guy finally snapped .... tough gig dealing with people in that cramped space all day

he's definitely in the wrong - the passenger should be banned from jet blue flights as well though

I don't know how many times i've seen FAs make reasonable requests that the entire plane has to follow only to be flat out ignored or cussed out ... it's insane

i saw this FA once ask a guy 8 times over a 5 minute period to turn off his laptop (which of course is the first thing I fire up between sitting down and taking off........) and he didn't even recognize her existence

Old 08-09-2010, 03:23 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,515,499 times
When I worked for Delta there were many times after 9/11 that I felt like doing the same thing. I can understand passengers being upset with the airlines, the airline business has deteriorated so much its unbeliveable. I don't think many people realize the abuse that flight crews are subjected to. Remember the flight crews are not making the rules but must enforce them.

Of course what this Jet Blue attendant did wasn't the way to go. Obviously snapped and that job is gone and thats that.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:39 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,650 times
Flight attendants are there to do their jobs, not to put up with unpleasant passengers.

However, one who wants to work as a flight attendant must understand that, very unfortunately, the occasional obnoxious individual will fly and will be a pain in the neck.

There is no excuse for obnoxiousness, and some passengers really take the cake... that being said, every job has its issues... if one cannot deal with them one should find something else to do.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:54 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,687,774 times
A blown slide costs about 60 thousand dollars per airplane.

Cussing out the passengers will get you fired. Blowing a slide will get you fired. Doing them both at the same time is genius for saving your job. That combination will get you a section 8.

Human relations will get involved. Mental evaluations will be performed. He will be labeled a nut, and the company will pay his wages, pay for his treatment, and then have a position saved for him when he is considered fit to work again. He will then be an untouchable with a "Klinger" letter in his file.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:10 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,304,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
A blown slide costs about 60 thousand dollars per airplane.

Cussing out the passengers will get you fired. Blowing a slide will get you fired. Doing them both at the same time is genius for saving your job. That combination will get you a section 8.

Human relations will get involved. Mental evaluations will be performed. He will be labeled a nut, and the company will pay his wages, pay for his treatment, and then have a position saved for him when he is considered fit to work again. He will then be an untouchable with a "Klinger" letter in his file.
Or, he will serve some prison time. Those slides are there to be used in an emergency. If a pilot declared an emergency when one did not exist he would be looking at some serious consequences. I bet this guy gets at least a few years probation if it is his first offense.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:12 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times
I like how he grabbed some beer for the road before sliding down the chute.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:21 PM

43,657 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Or, he will serve some prison time. Those slides are there to be used in an emergency. If a pilot declared an emergency when one did not exist he would be looking at some serious consequences. I bet this guy gets at least a few years probation if it is his first offense.
Criminal charges have been filed against the flight attendant.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:25 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
drunk passengers can be abusive and assaultive. dozens of assaults on stewards and stewardesses occur every month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel