Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 04:34 PM

308 posts, read 1,467,669 times

Advertisements

Plan to go to Zion NP next month. heard angels landing is pretty strenuous. what should I prepare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 06:21 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,771,530 times
Your nerves. The hardest part is getting up the gumption to go across the tight ridge with chains. A fellow traveler decided he wanted to do this hike instead of joining us at Observation Point. He freaked out at the ridge and didn't make it to the top. A lot of people just turn before the ridge. It's a dangerous hike.

The girls and I did Observation Point instead, which was very rewarding.

Of course, you need the obvious: hiking boots, water, 10 essentials, etc. etc. Poles wouldn't help you, since you need your hands free to climb the chains.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:28 PM

86 posts, read 171,659 times
Angels Landing is a half day hike with appx. a 1500' ascent and decent.

The last 3/4 mile to the top is the part of the trail is part that seattlenextyear mentions. If you Haven't got an eye for heights I would skip this part. Although when you see the six year old kids running up and down this portion of the hike, you might just have to man up and head to the top.

spectacular views of Zion for those you make it to the top. I tried to post some of my pictures but I forgot how. Go to the National Park website for pictures, videos etc and all the info you need for zion and the Angels Landing hike

Old 08-11-2010, 06:24 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,920,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayanh View Post
Plan to go to Zion NP next month. heard angels landing is pretty strenuous. what should I prepare?
We didn't do Angles Landing due to the heights issue. If you decide not to do that you might want to try the Narrows. We'll go back just to do that again.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:13 PM

Thanks! BTW, what is 10 essentials? I won't carry the poles. I believe it will be very rewarding, but getting prepared will help a lot.

How long do you think it will take for a round trip? I am thinking of leaving from Las Vegas in the morning and arriving probably at noon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Your nerves. The hardest part is getting up the gumption to go across the tight ridge with chains. A fellow traveler decided he wanted to do this hike instead of joining us at Observation Point. He freaked out at the ridge and didn't make it to the top. A lot of people just turn before the ridge. It's a dangerous hike.

The girls and I did Observation Point instead, which was very rewarding.

Of course, you need the obvious: hiking boots, water, 10 essentials, etc. etc. Poles wouldn't help you, since you need your hands free to climb the chains.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:16 PM

I don't know if I have fear of heights, but most likely if I have, it won't be very serious. Climbing up will be easier than climbing down, I guess. I am going to check the website you mentioned and get some feeling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisuli View Post
Angels Landing is a half day hike with appx. a 1500' ascent and decent.

The last 3/4 mile to the top is the part of the trail is part that seattlenextyear mentions. If you Haven't got an eye for heights I would skip this part. Although when you see the six year old kids running up and down this portion of the hike, you might just have to man up and head to the top.

spectacular views of Zion for those you make it to the top. I tried to post some of my pictures but I forgot how. Go to the National Park website for pictures, videos etc and all the info you need for zion and the Angels Landing hike

Old 08-14-2010, 02:17 PM

I heard the Narrows is very pretty too, but is there any chance I may run into a snake? how deep is the narrows? If it is rain season, is there any chance of flash flood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
We didn't do Angles Landing due to the heights issue. If you decide not to do that you might want to try the Narrows. We'll go back just to do that again.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:15 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,258,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayanh View Post
Thanks! BTW, what is 10 essentials? I won't carry the poles. I believe it will be very rewarding, but getting prepared will help a lot.

How long do you think it will take for a round trip? I am thinking of leaving from Las Vegas in the morning and arriving probably at noon.

The Ten Essentials are the ten things that you need to carry with you that may save your life if things do not go well on your hike:

Ten Essentials - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ten Essentials for Hiking/Backpacking

The Ten Essentials: Expert Advice from REI

These standards were established in the 1930s and many backcountry deaths may be attributed to the lack of one or more of these items.

Personally, I don't like your plan at all. You will leave Las Vegas in the morning and get to Zion at or around Noon, the HOTTEST time of the day. At this time of year, temperatures are 100+ this time of year. If I am hiking, I don't want to do the accent at the hottest part of the day. I made that mistake at Big Bend NP and won't do it again.

Also, that will have you up on the mountains during the late afternoon when you are most likely to face thunderstorms.

Fortunately, there are perhaps hundreds of articles and websites for each of Zion's major trails. I would recommend several hours of research before you make any decisions.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:20 PM

Old 08-15-2010, 06:22 PM

http://roderick.smugmug.com/Travel/S...t-2008/IMG0088

Picture #7 is the trail up the last portion of the hike up Angels landing, 3 thru 15 are all ZionNP including a couple from the narrows

Last edited by Raisuli; 08-15-2010 at 06:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel