U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 08:56 AM

3,644 posts, read 5,559,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Why not just learn to use an eastern bathroom (you only need to learn once), instead of using a phrase book to argue with people in a foreign language about some personal hangups you might have concerning evacuation space.
It's not about learning how to use them, it's about being physically able to use them. Squatting over a whole in the ground, even a nice porcelin whole, is not that easy for many people. Most Americans can not squat with their feet flat on thr ground. They have to be on the fronts of their feet. Try doing that for three minutes while trying to go to the bathroom and you will se how hard it is. This has nothing to do with weight either. I was 150 lbs at 6' 1" when I was in Japan the first time and I had difficulty using those toilets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 11:39 AM

21,353 posts, read 24,089,891 times
Quote:
instead of using a phrase book to argue with people in a foreign language
Now where does it say I use phrase books?? I'm against phrase books due to the fact that most American tourists do not take the time to learn to pronounce the words correctly. Especially words that are Diacritic and have no verbalization in the english language.

Diacritic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As to squat toilets here are the instructions:

How to Use a Squat Toilet in China

Quote:
What I do study up on is Etiquette
Here's a test: (1) Why don't people from India shake/greet with their left hand?
(2) When crossing your legs in certain Arab countries, which way should the soles of
your shoes be facing and why?

Old 08-12-2010, 02:12 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
It's a lot easier if there is something fairly clean above floor level, that you can put your hands on for balance. Like if you can reach the wall or the door (if there is a door).

As for the test above, everywhere from India to Morocco, people use their left hand to clean themselves after using the bathroom, so you never touch another person with your left hand, nor anything that you are going to eat.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:40 PM

37,968 posts, read 55,724,604 times
Recently I came across a picture travel book. ( well the "book " was the size of a cell phone with maybe 50 pages). There were pictures of most popular items to point. From food items, places to go, emergency, travel options to services. I think that such book is an awesome option and very useful in a countries where you cannot even figure out the alphabet letters.
Since there were only pictures and no words, you could use this book in every country
Point It by Dieter Graf | Apartment Therapy Chicago

Old 08-12-2010, 03:47 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,224,622 times
Quote:

As for the test above, everywhere from India to Morocco, people use their left hand to clean themselves after using the bathroom, so you never touch another person with your left hand, nor anything that you are going to eat.
Yeah maybe if you are living in the slums.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:23 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Yeah maybe if you are living in the slums.
If you are dining with the highest muckety-muck, and you put your food in your mouth with your left hand, they will be highly offended, but probably too polite to say anything. The reason they cut the RIGHT hand off thieves, is so that they will never again be permitted to eat at the table with anyone else.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:30 PM

2,958 posts, read 11,351,920 times
Speaking of foreign table manners.....

Even with repeated tutoring, I was never able to get the hang of eating Euro stye--that is with the knife in the right hand scraping the food onto the backside of the fork in the left hand.

Why do Europeans insist on eating with the fork upside down? Clearly it is much easier to maneuver the food in the cradle of the fork. And yet they laugh at Americans who do it the sensible way.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Speaking of foreign table manners.....

Even with repeated tutoring, I was never able to get the hang of eating Euro stye--that is with the knife in the right hand scraping the food onto the backside of the fork in the left hand.

Why do Europeans insist on eating with the fork upside down? Clearly it is much easier to maneuver the food in the cradle of the fork. And yet they laugh at Americans who do it the sensible way.
That's because europeans are losers :P

Old 08-12-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
If you are dining with the highest muckety-muck, and you put your food in your mouth with your left hand, they will be highly offended, but probably too polite to say anything. The reason they cut the RIGHT hand off thieves, is so that they will never again be permitted to eat at the table with anyone else.
Right, it has to do with etiquette.. not the lack of toilate paper.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:39 PM

Anyways, I started this thread about Phrase Books, not about table etiquettes of a european (whom I care nothing about) or toilates which is already taken care of.

I have decided to buy a travel book and study the language a bit in my spare time on the side of my full time language. Seems like something fun to do, but I won't put too much effort.

Thanks for the help guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or