U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 07:21 PM

271 posts, read 1,486,420 times

Advertisements

Hey guys. I have a few more question.

In the US and Canada, Customs and Immigration are lumped under Customs.

In European airports, what's the difference between Customs and Immigrations?

And is passport control the same as Immigrations? I'm assuming so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 08:15 PM

9,123 posts, read 17,121,718 times
Customs = are you allow to bring X into country and how much can we tax it,
Imigration/passport control = are you allowed into this country ,
Imigration/passport is 1st place you stop, (if there a problem they send you off to secondary control).
Then you get you bags, then to customs (they may have had a dog sniff/xray already) most seperate people into 2 lines green Noting to declare, like 90% Red, something to declare, 10% and the spot check some Greens, and anyone the dogs/xray burbed at,

Old 08-19-2010, 08:53 PM

870 posts, read 1,967,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho-79 View Post
Hey everyone. I've never flown to Europe before. This October will be my very first trip there. I'm in the process of booking my flight from Texas to Rome. I need some advice from anyone who has had experience with transatlantic flights.

I'm currently looking at a Lufthansa flight from Texas to Rome with a layover in Frankfurt. My first flight arrives in Frankfurt at 9:15 in the morning. My connecting flight to Rome departs at 10:45. This means that I would have a 90-minute layover in Frankfurt.

I understand that I will have to go through Customs when I land in Frankfurt.

Is a 90-minute layover in Frankfurt enough time to deplane and get through Customs, passport control, and other security screenings? Is there a chance in this case that I might miss my connecting flight to Rome?

Should I just stick to a Rome-bound flight that has a layover within the US?

What would be the safest and less risky option for me? What do you guys think I should do?
I did a similar flight except instead of going to Rome I went to Split. Once I arrived at the Frankfurt Airport I switched terminals then went through security. Next I boarded my plane to Split. Once I got to Split it was then that I collected my bags for customs. 90 minutes will be enough time IMO.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsualum2004 View Post
I did a similar flight except instead of going to Rome I went to Split. Once I arrived at the Frankfurt Airport I switched terminals then went through security. Next I boarded my plane to Split. Once I got to Split it was then that I collected my bags for customs. 90 minutes will be enough time IMO.
Why would you have to go through a security checkpoint if you're already inside security?

I thought that during layovers, you just go gate to gate.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:28 AM

They dont trust the security everywhere everyone got on. Once you are in the international zone, someone from a lesser secure (but still meets standards) Can pass something to someone who came from a higher secure area. So they have everyone pass thru security again.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:08 AM

702 posts, read 2,796,046 times
I wouldn't worry. The flights are usually timed so that people will have time to clear immigration. I'm not sure, but I think you would go through customs at your destination airport rather than connecting airport unless you are forced to take your bags and recheck in Frankfurt. Most bags typically will be flown to the final destination, though there are some exceptions. BTW, my experiences with customs in Europe is a breeze, you just walk out the Nothing to Declare lane, no people to talk to.

Even if you are delayed and missed your flight, there will be a lot more flights to Rome from Frankfurt.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:09 PM

I have another concern.

When I'm flying back to the USA, I might have a layover in Atlanta before heading back home to Dallas.

Does that mean I'll have to go through Customs when I stop in Atlanta? Do I have to reclaim my bags and re-check in at ATL as well?

BTW- My Rome-Atlanta-Dallas return trip will be all Delta.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:10 PM

2,498 posts, read 10,285,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho-79 View Post
I have another concern.

When I'm flying back to the USA, I might have a layover in Atlanta before heading back home to Dallas.

Does that mean I'll have to go through Customs when I stop in Atlanta? Do I have to reclaim my bags and re-check in at ATL as well?

BTW- My Rome-Atlanta-Dallas return trip will be all Delta.
Yes. You go through customs in Atlanta and have to reclaim your luggage. You will be on a separate domestic flight from Atlanta-Dallas. Atlanta is your "point of entry" into the United States. This flight won't be arriving into a "sterile" area that goes to customs as most passengers on the flight are only domestic passengers. Once you arrive in Dallas you just walk off the plane because it is a domestic flight.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:56 PM

Duty Free warning for atlanta, If you pickup any bottles @ duty free in rome, you will have to put them in your check'ed bags once you get to Atlanta after you clear customs (Before Bag re-check). TSA will not allow them into the terms. So make sure you pack them well inside your bags so they won't break as the get put on Flight to Dallas.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:52 PM

8,566 posts, read 9,661,467 times
Jericho-79, I take it your Lufthansa flight departs IAH. I've taken that flight to Adam, changing planes in Frankfurt, about 12 years ago. I don't really recall much about it other than the terminal was in complete disarray as it was being remodeled. Searching for my gate I passed the customs check 3 times. I think those remodels are complete now.

On your flight you'll be given a couple of forms to fill out. Take your own pen. When you deplane, whether in Frankfurt or Rome (((again, I don't recall but your research before leaving, as suggested above or the flight attendants will be able to answer))) you'll get to stand in line, present your forms, answer a couple of questions, get your passport stamped and move on to baggage claim. Then you'll pass the place where you either do or do not have anything to claim. That would be non-duty purchases, infectious diseases, illegal drugs, ivory, snakes.... You'll probably have nothing to claim.

As soon as you exit the customs process there will be plastic money machines. ATM's. Stop and get some cash. For the train, the taxi, the water, just in case. If you already have it then guard it closely but keep it handy.

Always... ALWAYS act like you know where you are and know what you are doing. There are those who recognize someone walking in circles with glazed over eyes... It makes them a target. If you know karate, assume the attitude.

There's a great little forum for travelers I used to participate in... Flyer Talk. You might check it out to see if there's some assist there as well.

Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel&Dining: Destination >> The World Europe

Good luck, have a great flight.

------
I think I meant DFW

Last edited by Willsson; 08-21-2010 at 09:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or