U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 12:45 AM

38,877 posts, read 20,171,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho-79 View Post
What you're saying makes a lot of sense.

Did you go through Customs at the Beijing Airport before departing Beijing?

When I flew back home to Dallas from Toronto, I had to go through Customs at the Toronto Airport. (I also had to go through Customs at the Toronto Airport when I landed in Toronto in the first place.) I had originally thought that I'd have to go through Customs when I got back to DFW.
The same thing happened to me when I departed Victoria, BC to return back to the US (Seattle) - Seems that US Customs are located on BOTH sides of the border and you have to go through them twice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 02:42 PM

2 posts, read 2,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
The USA has VERY few people making international-international connections so our infrastructure is set up to have people go through customs whenever they arrive on an international flight.
missionhome: The great majority of travelers going from Asia (China, South Korea and Japan for example) to Latin America would go thru the US. Many of those going to Canada from Asia as well... a lot of people transit the US on the daily basis... In fact, most people flying from Central America to Europe would most likely travel with US airlines, and in that case, they MUST stop in the US. For example, if you travel from Panama city to London with American Airlines, you would have to stop in one of their hubs (MIAMI, HOUSTON or Chicago)... and for the record, if you don't enter the US, you do not pass customs... Canadians returning to Canada from either Asia, Latin America or Europe do pass thru customs because their flights to Canada are usually located in domestic terminals. However, upon arrival to Canada, they also have to go thru Canadian immigration and customs. Americans going to back to the US from Canada usually go thru US immigration and customs at the airport of origin. I know for a fact that Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver have entire terminals dedicated to flights to the US. That makes the US-bound flights terminals in Canada, American territory by definition. Even thought you technically still in Canada, you are already in the US after having gone thru US immigration and getting your passport stamped. Anyhow, just wanted to clarify that hundreds of thousands transit the US on the daily basis....

Old 01-12-2013, 02:52 PM

2 posts, read 2,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Seems that US Customs are located on BOTH sides of the border and you have to go through them twice.
Nope, from most large Canadian airports like YUL or YYZ you only go thru US immigration and customs before your departure and at your arriving destination (Within the US), you'd arrive at a domestic terminal... so you go thru US customs ONLY in Canada. By the way, after you go thru US immigrations and customs in Montreal (YUL), you are already on US soil even though that you are still in a Canadian airport.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:26 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,624,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco24 View Post
Nope, from most large Canadian airports like YUL or YYZ you only go thru US immigration and customs before your departure and at your arriving destination (Within the US), you'd arrive at a domestic terminal... so you go thru US customs ONLY in Canada. By the way, after you go thru US immigrations and customs in Montreal (YUL), you are already on US soil even though that you are still in a Canadian airport.
I didn't know that. I assumed you were still on Canadian soil, but had pre-cleared customs.

Making a connection from Europe through Canada for the US can be tricky, and requires at least 2 hours, especially at Toronto. I've connected in Toronto about 3 or 4 times. One time, the flight was late to Toronto, there was a huge line at the Canadian Customs, requiring that your bags come off the belt, there was a shuttle and ANOTHER check-in at Air Canada in another terminal, and US customs. I was then flying to Denver, and then making another connection. Had the flight leaving for Denver not been 30 to 45 minutes late as well, I would have been sleeping in Toronto that night.

For the OP, Frankfurt is pretty efficient, and you should be able to make that connection, in as little as one hour if you get out of Rome late. Frankfurt has a weird layout, though, with long diagonal buildings and with international flights scattered in different terminals. This means that the minute you get off your plane and into the terminal, look for your next terminal and gate number. Better yet, there is always an airport person on hand in the area when you come into the airport, and they can tell you what to do. I have never seen much of a line once inside for passport control at the Frankfurt terminal, taking about 5 minutes. They won't grill you like the Canadians, but they are stern looking. Once you've got that done, if you're running tight, you might have to move quickly to your gate.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:35 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,355,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
The same thing happened to me when I departed Victoria, BC to return back to the US (Seattle) - Seems that US Customs are located on BOTH sides of the border and you have to go through them twice.
How so? Usually once you've cleared US Customs at the major airports in Canada, the flight is considered to be a domestic flight.

To the OP--I would be a little concerned about the layover time. Franfurt is a large, complex airport--not sure what it's like now, haven't been thru it in a few years, but it has been notorious at times.

I would have a good look at the terminal map, and see if you can figure out approximately where you have to go to change planes. I like to have at least two hours layover in major airports, myself, but then I tend to be a bit paranoid about missing flights.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 857 times
I am flying from Houston to Munich with a layover in Amsterdam. My queation is I want to buy liquor in Duty free in Houston but I understand I must go through security again in Amsterdam, will the confiscate the liquor?

Old 06-02-2014, 03:27 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,355,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsbrown5 View Post
I am flying from Houston to Munich with a layover in Amsterdam. My queation is I want to buy liquor in Duty free in Houston but I understand I must go through security again in Amsterdam, will the confiscate the liquor?
Yes, you'll have to wait and buy your duty-free liquor in Amsterdam.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:29 AM

8,595 posts, read 11,082,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsbrown5 View Post
It depends. Google Schipol Airport transfers. If you transit through Heathrow and have a bag that's been sealed, not stapled, but sealed at a duty free, you can take it through, even though it's over the magic volume.

Old 04-07-2018, 04:47 AM

5,694 posts, read 8,764,670 times
This thread is of interest to me as I will be flying to Frankfurt and on to Nice. 5 hour layover so not at all critical but I do recall a long line for passport control before leaving the munich airport. Are you saying FRA is just so much more efficient? Or was my timing bad in Munich. Also I'm curious - what if I were connecting to a smaller airport that didn't have customs control. On my return there will be a short layover in FRA - Will I have to go through any screening at that time?

As for a transfer to split: I did encounter border security driving between Slovenia and Croatia, so should one expect an extra layer of screening when arriving in Split?

Old 04-08-2018, 06:54 AM

2,291 posts, read 3,935,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
This thread is of interest to me as I will be flying to Frankfurt and on to Nice. 5 hour layover so not at all critical but I do recall a long line for passport control before leaving the munich airport. Are you saying FRA is just so much more efficient? Or was my timing bad in Munich. Also I'm curious - what if I were connecting to a smaller airport that didn't have customs control. On my return there will be a short layover in FRA - Will I have to go through any screening at that time?

As for a transfer to split: I did encounter border security driving between Slovenia and Croatia, so should one expect an extra layer of screening when arriving in Split?
Canít compare MUC and FRA but my guess would be timing.
As for your return flight, if your flight from FRA is US-bound then you will go through passport control in FRA as you will leave thr Schengen area there.
One would also expect passport control arriving in Split from anywhere outside Croatia as it is not a part of the Schengen area (yet).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or