U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you let your children swim in the Gulf?
Yes, I'd let my children swim in the Gulf today. 14 63.64%
Maybe in spring I'd let the kids jump in. 2 9.09%
Will let my kids swim there in a year or two. 1 4.55%
Beaches at the Gulf are no longer an option for my family. 5 22.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 01:00 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,911,924 times

Advertisements

Cohdane, I've been to that bay many times. It's not THAT protected.
I don't blame you for being careful, that's a chunk of money you have to worry about. Do your research and make your decision.

Check out this Beach Sampling Results chart.
You can check any Florida county, just scroll down to the bottom and pick which county you like.

I lived on the Gulf for almost two years. Where I lived, the beaches are sugar white sand, and you can walk forever and not see a soul. The water was seething with marine life. I've never seen anything like what I saw there.
Formations of pelicans in the sky, squadrons of sting rays in the water, dolphins breeching just for fun--not because some trainer told them.

What's done is done, the oil spill happened, and it is a huge tragedy.
But it is not as if the entire Gulf is now one huge cesspit.
Does anyone remember what happened last fall in San Francisco Bay?
Anyone have a crab sandwich on the wharf recently? PDF file
I wish these things never happened, but they do, and we try to heal.
I saw oil blotches the last time I was in Santa Barbara, and the spill was back in 1969.
Maybe the ones I saw were naturally occurring--dunno.
Have a great trip, Skinem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 08:50 AM

4,925 posts, read 9,776,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohdane View Post
I guess you missed the map.

Alligator Point is in St. Andrew Bay, which is not directly on the Gulf. It's a protected inlet:

alligator point panama city - Google Maps
Don't need a map, I've been there...you obviously haven't. Like BlueWillowPlate said, it isn't that protected, and my point which you seem to have chosen to ignore is that the oil isn't every where.

As BlueWillowPlate also said, I don't blame you for being cautious, but based on your posts it would seem that you have overreacted, especially given your statement that you are "completely avoiding the US Gulf area". That's a lot of beach in Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Texas. It isn't all slimed by a long shot.

Another thing to point out, oil leaks into the gulf and into many other areas of the oceans naturally.

And fortunately for us, especially now, nature has a huge capacity for self-cleansing...

Thanks for the good wished BWP...think we're going to Orange Beach this time.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:41 PM

437 posts, read 1,120,741 times
The oil is still 400 miles north of South Padre Island. Water is a great blue color, much different from Galveston. Plenty of palm trees(even coconuts).

Old 08-17-2010, 07:20 PM

1,989 posts, read 3,938,828 times
Sorry, didn't mean to give the sense I thought everything had oil on it. My reference to carbon monoxide was meant to imply that I'm worried about what I can't see. Corexit and perhaps byproducts of oil as it breaks down.

I truly and sincerely hope you all prove right on this. For now, it's not water I want my kid swimming in.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:09 PM

South Padre Island, Texas:
http://www.travelbrook.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/south-padre-island-view_1.jpg (broken link)

SPI is at the same latitude as Ft.Myers/Miami. Not any safer then Cozumel, Cancun, or Sanibel, lol.
The Gulf is a HUGE body of water. Oil is only confined to East Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and North Florida.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:04 AM

4,925 posts, read 9,776,853 times
No offense taken Cohdane, you obviously have the right to say and feel how you wish and I hope we're right too. To me it seemed what you said was the equivalent to me saying "I'm avoiding the entire midwest because of the air pollution in Chicago."

Old 08-18-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
No offense taken Cohdane, you obviously have the right to say and feel how you wish and I hope we're right too. To me it seemed what you said was the equivalent to me saying "I'm avoiding the entire midwest because of the air pollution in Chicago."
I agree....

Old 08-20-2010, 02:45 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,646,320 times
I'd have no problems visiting an area that was not hit. In fact, this is probably the time to go. (I grew up on the beaches of Southern California in the 60's. There was always oil on the beaches. Last thing we always did before we drove home was sit on the car's bumper and scrape the tar off the bottoms of our feet, so I guess the thought of a little oil doesn't freak me out like it might some people.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or