U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 12:56 AM

17,435 posts, read 21,272,660 times

Advertisements

Muchos gracias! The mosquito bites sealed it for this desert rat who hasn't been bitten by a mosquito in 17 years living in the desert and I plan, thru microsopic research, to keep that record, even when I travel.

I'm planning a year-end trip in Dec. Originally, was going to fly to Panama City, bus it thru Panama, Costa Rica (a place I've never desired to travel to)
Nicaragua, fly back from Tegucigalpa. But, my body simply can't tolerate high humidity (too much time in the desert will do that) and with the insects, I'm going to the high altitude/bug free areas of Colombia instead.

The higher altitude areas of South and Central America have always served me well, freedom from insects and heat/high humidity.

Americans are like a flock of sheep, monkey-see-monkey-do. They get that green light finally, off they go, and if you dare mention you went to the least touristed country in Central America, El Salvador (which I've grown to love) instead, what will be their expected reaction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 03:01 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,938,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

Americans are like a flock of sheep, monkey-see-monkey-do. They get that green light finally, off they go
I don't think it's just Americans. The herding instinct is strong.
I've seen pockets of in Greece and Spain that were basically little German resort villages.
Walk the main streets of Sorrento, Italy and you feel like you are in a British holiday camp.
You see it among young backpackers, as well. Just because they might be on a budget doesn't mean they are especially adventurous.

The thing is, if you just go a bit farther, it's not hard to get off the beaten path.
You just have to have the desire to do so.

It all depends on what you seek in a trip. And what you don't.
I'm sure zip lines are fun, but a couple years ago, when I read about zip lines in Costa Rica: That was the day I knew that it was not going to be #1 on my places to visit.
OTOH, CR appealed to my brother, his wife, and their two teenagers. They had a great time last year.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:10 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,427,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post

The thing is, if you just go a bit farther, it's not hard to get off the beaten path.
You just have to have the desire to do so.
The funny thing about CR is that when you do venture off the "somewhat paved" path, you really are met by a beaten path. There were times that we were sure our SUV would roll off the side of a cliff! The roads there are terrible, the worst I've seen so far. You have to stick to the main roads are risk dying. We always venture away from the tourist traps, but it was nearly impossible in that country given their terrible road conditions. It was like driving on rocks the entire time.

And I agree about it not being just Americans. I don't know what to consider myself, since I wasn't born in the US and have dual citizenship. That said, my family from Poland vacations in Croatia. They say it's packed with European tourists lately more than ever and losing its appeal. Every popular place eventually gets outed, whether you live in the US, Asia or Europe. Some people love the crowds, some hate them.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:34 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,938,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
That said, my family from Poland vacations in Croatia. They say it's packed with European tourists lately more than ever and losing its appeal. Every popular place eventually gets outed, whether you live in the US, Asia or Europe. Some people love the crowds, some hate them.
Dubrovnik was seething with Europeans of all varieties when we were there in 2006. The thing is, I think Yugoslavia has had a long tradition of hospitality. It was plenty busy when my husband visited in the 70's.

But the world is becoming smaller, no doubt about it.

I can't be too critical of crowds when after all there I am contributing to them.
People fill San Marco Square or Times Square for a reason. The World Cup is hectic and crazy but it is a cool event. Stonehenge is more than just a pile of rocks. Omaha Beach is not just a place to dip your toe in the Atlantic.

We just remember our little back doors here and there, and discover new ones whenever we can.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:45 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,427,576 times
When I lived in Jersey (just outside of NYC) I wouldn't dare go to Times Square or anywhere near that area. Now, I miss it so much, that I actually ventured there on my last trip in July. Silly me, I wanted night pictures of all the lights and expected it to be not too crowded at 2am. Was I wrong!

I have a beach here in San Diego that I go to with only a few people around. This city is so overrun with tourists and we locals pay such high prices because of it that I'm so happy to have a little piece of paradise all to myself! Most of the beaches are beyond packed with tourists, all year long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel