U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 02:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,524 times

Advertisements

After looking at my GPS and various online map sites, I've seen two different routes from NC to Mass. One is 95 pretty much all the way. The other option is US 17 to I 64 to US 13 then eventually hitting I 95 somewhere around New Jersey I believe. We are coming from Eastern North Carolina, and from what I see, the latter trip is about 30 miles shorter, and according to calculations, a few minutes shorter. We have never traveled this way and I would like some input before we head out. I don't know what kind of roads they are, because if we have to go through 50 little towns and stop at stoplights every 5 minutes, it wouldn't be worth our time, but last time we drove to Mass we took 95 and thanks to the traffic, it was a 19 hour trip. Now we have a 2 year old and I would rather not spend 19 hours in the car. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 02:43 PM

3,157 posts, read 8,128,726 times
There are a decent amount of stoplights and small towns on US 13 in Virginia. Once you get to Maryland, you can take US 113 (fewer stoplights) to DE 1 (no stoplights).

I would definitely rather deal with the stoplights than traffic on 95 though! The Delmarva peninsula also wins on scenery.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:44 PM

9,135 posts, read 17,186,410 times
Alot depend on what time you are leaving, and what time you will transit the metro area. sometimes going long miles is faster...

Old 08-16-2010, 02:46 PM

3,442 posts, read 5,620,804 times
If it's a vacation it would probably be cheaper and alot less hassle to fly.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:52 PM

9,135 posts, read 17,186,410 times
Prob Not, with 2 or 3 people. Rental Car + flight + bagage fees + parking @ NC airport .... would prob be more, Driving would prob be cheaper. Esp if she/they are going soon.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:13 PM

8,225 posts, read 14,964,403 times
We've done the RI or NY trip to VA, FL, NC several times. We've tried different routes and the one we found the least traffic and yet still remaining on major highway is 95 with the outer WESTERN loop around DC. While it is a few extra miles, the time savings was hours. It does also depend on the time of day and day of the week. Oh, and don't forget to factor in tourist/travel season - usually between Memorial and Labor Days. Being that we are childless, we usually do those trips off-seasons and during the week. Avoid DC weekdays between 7am to 7pm and, of course, the rings. Our last trip using the western side of the outer ring was a breeze. It was a weekday, we had overnighted towards the top of VA about 15 minutes before hitting the outer ring. We got a 6 am start and were home in NY by lunch.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:38 PM

3,157 posts, read 8,128,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
We've done the RI or NY trip to VA, FL, NC several times. We've tried different routes and the one we found the least traffic and yet still remaining on major highway is 95 with the outer WESTERN loop around DC. While it is a few extra miles, the time savings was hours. It does also depend on the time of day and day of the week. Oh, and don't forget to factor in tourist/travel season - usually between Memorial and Labor Days. Being that we are childless, we usually do those trips off-seasons and during the week. Avoid DC weekdays between 7am to 7pm and, of course, the rings. Our last trip using the western side of the outer ring was a breeze. It was a weekday, we had overnighted towards the top of VA about 15 minutes before hitting the outer ring. We got a 6 am start and were home in NY by lunch.
The "western" loop? What road is that? Do you mean the inner loop of 495 going north?

If so, you got pretty lucky. I would not recommend that to a tourist on a weekday. There are generally bad backups around Tyson's Corner and on into Maryland. The "eastern" outer loop of 495/95 generally has less traffic.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:53 AM

8,225 posts, read 14,964,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
The "western" loop? What road is that? Do you mean the inner loop of 495 going north?

If so, you got pretty lucky. I would not recommend that to a tourist on a weekday. There are generally bad backups around Tyson's Corner and on into Maryland. The "eastern" outer loop of 495/95 generally has less traffic.
I meant and said the OUTER loop (sorry, RING) and again, I said what I meant, the WESTERN half of it. You pick a spot south of DC, both directions are NORTH - one heads east first, the other heads west first. GO WEST! That makes it the western half of the OUTER ring. There are two rings around DC - inner and outer. It seems like it's going to be a much longer trip but after comparing several different ways, we found that the outer ring WEST added miles to the trip but was so very much shorter, by HOURS.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:23 PM

351 posts, read 1,419,038 times
I'm not sure about getting from NC to DC, but I agree about going WEST around DC, and timing really is everything. From DC, if you head up I-95, the best way I have found to make it to MA from DC is to get to the Delaware Memorial Bridge, from there to the Jersey Turnpike, and then take (either exit 10 or 11, I forget) to the Garden State Parkway ... you want to head to the Tappanzee Bridge (this all avoids NYC), to 684 and 84 through western Connecticut... make your way up to Rte 90 (Mass Pike) and that will take you to Boston or wherever in MA (495 towards Worcester as an outer option to go north, or Rte 128 for the inner ring around Boston. I'm sorry these are just generic points along the way, but I don't remember exactly.) Whatever you do, though, avoid I-95 through Connecticut like the plague! My last trip up, Ithought "oh, it can't be nearly as bad as I remembered on I-95 through CT..." I was wrong... it was worse...that's a couple hours out of my life I can never get back.

From what I remember, if I hit Baltimore by about 7:30 in the morning, I am on the Garden State Parkway going through the Jersey populated areas after any rush hour traffic, and also miss traffic in Waterbury and such... watch the speed traps right before you cross from CT to MA, if you go up I-84.

By the way, I am not kidding that an EZ-Pass can save you close to 45 minutes on the d rive from DC to Boston... I was amazed at the difference.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:04 PM

791 posts, read 2,464,012 times
[quote=pcity;15500822]The "western" loop? What road is that? Do you mean the inner loop of 495 going north?

If so, you got pretty lucky. I would not recommend that to a tourist on a weekday. There are generally bad backups around Tyson's Corner and on into Maryland. The "eastern" outer loop of 495/95 generally has less traffic.[/quote]

The badly over-capacity Woodrow Wilson Bridge (Potomac River crossing at Alexandria, Virginia) where 3 lanes of the eastern-loop Capital Beltway used to have to squeeze into 2 lanes, used to be one of the worst bottlenecks in the whole country -- just horrible for several hours a day. However, the old bridge was torn down and replaced in October 2008 with a much wider span carrying many more traffic lanes, and now moves smoothly at nearly all times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel